Your worst case scenario in the draft

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
So, we've spent the last couple of months arguing about taking a QB at 3 and the implications that would have for the franchise. We've discussed the viability of taking a safety, a TE and even a RB at 3. We've looked at trading down and staying pat. At this point, everyone is pretty set about what they would do and the reasons why.

I thought it might be worth looking at what you least want to happen and how badly Pace could screw this up, given that we are picking near the top of each round. Always a fun activity right?

My worst case scenario is probably...

[3] Leonard Fournette
[36] TJ Watt
[67] Brad Kaaya

With Fournette, it really isn't a knock on his talent because I think he is a top 10 prospect and his hands are better than you think. It's just as some point, need has to come into play. We are already struggling to get Howard enough carries, we've got a team that is going to be behind more often that not in the second half with a tough schedule this year. I just don't see the value. We are thin at the position in terms of quality but you don't take someone at 3 to use them as a back up for an injured player.

I do think TJ Watt is overhyped and I'm not sure how his play translates to the NFL level, despite the position being a need for us. Really though this pick could be called "any non-QB". If Pace passes on Watson, Trubisky, Kizer and Mahomes then he is really saying that Glennon is the guy and his job rests on Glennon being productive. This would scare the hell out of me.

Kaaya again is a player I don't like for us. We know that he's performed badly under pressure and he finds it difficult to navigate through the pocket and find a receiver under duress. It's debatable whether the poise and mobility needed to overcome this can be taught and we've heard the arguments for and against him on here already. Personally, I think mental make up and athletic ability are pretty much the two things you can't coach up at the position, so I'm not a fan. I also think that if you aren't going QB in the first two rounds (and I expect Peterman and Webb to go between 36 and 67), then I'd rather not go down the Dobbs, Kaaya route at all. You're already effectively committing to Glennon for two years even if you draft one in the first round in 2018 so Kaaya, Dobbs is really just an insurance policy against getting you fired rather than a legitimate prospect at the position.

Taken in its entirety, this draft would fail to improve the roster at the two biggest areas of need: QB and DB. We'd still have no leader on offense or defense, no real identity (unless you call a run the ball and PA to mediocre receivers an identity) and no clear direction from the front office.

It also provides us with three players that could all bust out. As much as Allen wouldn't be a sexy pick, you know that he will be a solid to elite day one pro at his position, more likely than not. Fournette, Watt and Kaaya not only don't make the team better day 1, but I think there's a good chance Fournette is the only one in the NFL in four years.

Anyway, what would be your worst case scenario?

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
We draft Allen and on his way to the podium to hug the commish, trips on the stairs and breaks a hip.

Maybe we ask him to make his way to the podium before we hand in the pick. Have him waiting in the wings in a perspex sphere?

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Kizer at #3 overall is the most plausible pick that would bother me the most.

That's a pretty implausible thing to be worried about! I'd say there's less almost no chance of it happening but I'd still rather have Kizer than Fournette.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe we ask him to make his way to the podium before we hand in the pick. Have him waiting in the wings in a perspex sphere?

Probably suffocate.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Luke or Zen hack into the Bears' system and send the picks up. We draft an injured safety who can't tackle at #3 and get a value QB in round 6.

Hours before the draft Aaron Rodgers has a religious epiphany and quits football. Packers draft Deshaun Watson.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Luke or Zen hack into the Bears' system and send the picks up. We draft an injured safety who can't tackle at #3 and get a value QB in round 6.

Hours before the draft Aaron Rodgers has a religious epiphany and quits football. Packers draft Deshaun Watson.

I had to even thought where Watson goes if we pass him up. I've not heard anything about the Vikings looking for a QB but maybe they take one if the prognosis on Bridgewater isn't great?

Hooker is definitely the one out of the four guys I think we're looking at (assuming Garrett and Thomas go 1, 2) that I'm the most worried about...

Allen
Adams
Watson
Hooker

Allen is not a pick that's going to excite anyone and I'll admit that I would probably find it a bit underwhelming after all the debate, but his injury/condition seems to have the all clear and I don't see anyway he doesn't become at least a solid player in the top 10 at his position. With Hooker it would be the opposite: it's be excited about the upside but his tackling would have to vastly improve just to see the field.

I'd take either over Fournette.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not really a "worst case" scenario but I'd probably be most meh about Allen.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'd like the Bears to draft a safety early we haven't done much to fix the secondary aside from sign a bunch a nickelbacks to start at CB 1.

Madden

Liked Posts:
Worst case is Pace gets burned in a trade and trades back too far, and all of the top talent is taken in front of us. We get an extra pick but end up with 2 mediocre players instead of 1 dominant one. Don't think it will happen but it would suck.

Washington

Liked Posts:
I'd love Watt and think he'll be an excellent pro. I don't see him getting out of the 1st. I can see the Packers taking him if he gets that far.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Worst case is Pace gets burned in a trade and trades back too far, and all of the top talent is taken in front of us. We get an extra pick but end up with 2 mediocre players instead of 1 dominant one. Don't think it will happen but it would suck.

That's a concern of mine too. The only real trade back option is CAR at 8 and that's as far as I would go. Even then, I'd be worried because that is right on the edge of the top tier talent in this draft. The plus point is that it might increase the chances of us drafting a QB.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Worst case scenario we trade down 8 spots and all we get is an extra 3 rounder plus George gets a "I'm with him" tshirt pointing at pace

laputan

Liked Posts:
Some aid for Pace so he can draft a QB before round 4.

testosterone-cream.jpg

Madden

Liked Posts:
That's a concern of mine too. The only real trade back option is CAR at 8 and that's as far as I would go. Even then, I'd be worried because that is right on the edge of the top tier talent in this draft. The plus point is that it might increase the chances of us drafting a QB.

Yeah I'm not totally against trading back 1-5 spots but that's it. If we can trade back and still get Hooker and one of the top 3 QB's for example, I would be cool with that. But it's a risk for sure because other DB/QB needy teams could still trade in front of us and really screw us over.