Zach Wilson and the Impossible Throw

Bort

Liked Posts:
One of the things I loved about watching Mahomes on film back in 2017 was how often he would complete a pass because the safety thought it was impossible.

Zach Wilson does the same thing here:

Wilson escapes pressure by rolling out of the pocket to his right. Meanwhile, there is a receiver running a go route down the left sideline on the near side of the field. The circled safety has help responsibility, but he thinks he's fine here. In fact, he starts cheating in towards the center of the field. He's cheating in because he's thinking that there is absolutely no chance that Wilson is going to be able to beat him over the top and deliver that ball to that receiver at the bottom of the screen. Wilson would have to throw it back across his body, all the way across the field, 50 yards down the field, with enough velocity for the ball to arrive before the safety. The spot where the receiver would need to catch the ball is probably about 70 yards away from Wilson when you consider the width of the field.

zachwilson1.JPG

And then the 70 yard frozen rope arrives right here, with the safety still a good 7 or 8 yards away, and the receiver strolls in for an easy touchdown.
zachwilson2.JPG

You can watch the throw at 1:30 here:

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Can he read a defense and process information quickly? How’s his pocket awareness?

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Is he a film rat with his head on straight?

I know fuck all nothing about what makes a good college QB turn into a good pro QB. If he works hard and is a team player, then I'm going to root for him. If he slacks or isn't a good teammate (or worse, uncoachable), then I don't want him.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Good. Goes through his progressions. Comfortable in the pocket. And an elite arm talent (accuracy as well as arm strength).

I knew about the arm strength and accuracy but not much else. I know a lot of people thought Mahomes would bust and compared him to cutler. Is Wilson more like Jay or mahomes? Or neither?

Bort

Liked Posts:
Exactly why are we even talking about this? Should we also talk about what a good fit Trevor Lawrence would be?

The are rumors that the Jets are shopping the #2 overall pick so Zach Wilson is a possibility in a trade up.

It would be cheaper than a trade for Deshaun Watson, which people have been making threads about constantly.

Bort

Liked Posts:
I knew about the arm strength and accuracy but not much else. I know a lot of people thought Mahomes would bust and compared him to cutler. Is Wilson more like Jay or mahomes? Or neither?

I'd say neither. He's not a total freak of nature like Mahomes, and I think in college he's better at looking defenders off than Jay was in the NFL.

Trevor Lawrence and Mac Jones look really good, too. This QB class is going to produce multiple quality starters.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The QB class is 4 deep...Bears can potentially get one

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Mac Jones ............ meh see............. A.J. McCarron

played with a pair of early-round wide receivers, a great offensive line , and a dynamic running game.

good analysis A.J. McCarron ouch

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not sold on Wilson. The arm talent is there but unlike Mahomes, he didn't really flash until his final year. So the question for me is can he adjust to defenses once those defenses have film on his tendencies.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mac Jones ............ meh see............. A.J. McCarron

played with a pair of early-round wide receivers, a great offensive line , and a dynamic running game.
Very wrong and I didn't like McCarron either. McCarron had more championships but was projected as day 3 pick and went in the 5th round for a reason. Jones' projection is very different a with less success so it's not just about who he played with.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wilson has a lot of personality concerns, plus, that pass gets picked against an NFL defense

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Someone will grab him in the first [round]. I doubt he gets to the second [round] because once the third quarterback goes, after Lawrence and Fields, there will be a run on them. [Wilson] has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat – uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he’s a

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Liking more and more of what I'm seeing from this kid.

@Bort knows his QBs... I'm buying Zach Wilson!

Pretty sure Bort was one of the posters who didn't think Watson was worth the pick during that year's draft threads. He was right about Mahomes though.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty sure Bort was one of the posters who didn't think Watson was worth the pick during that year's draft threads. He was right about Mahomes though.

Watson and Trubisky have the same number of Superbowl appearances... so, I'll let it slide.