Your Expectations for Trubisky this season....

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
“Jay had to get them out for me,” Kristin revealed to a table of stunned faces. “Sucking harder than he’s ever sucked. And you know what? Saved my life.”
Was just about to start a thread called “Cutler Sucks” and post this quote.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
assuming a full 16 game schedule:

Statwise, I'd like to see at least 3800 yards, 27 TDs and 10 Ints or less. I'd also like an increase in Yards per attempt as well.

That would put him in the top half of the league in yards, right around top ten in TDs, and in the bottom third of the league in INTs given up.

As far as the look goes, reducing a few wtf moments would be nice, I'd also like better accuracy on the mid-range throws.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
No. Really. He doesn't. He doesn't owe you, the media or anyone else shit. Much less when quarterbacks like him can have their guaranteed money voided over anything they say that a club doesn't like to hear. I don't give a shit what he says publicaly, I only are about his play. Its if nothing else a change of pace to have a clean cut quarterback that isn't a controversial personality. This isn't the NBA. If you want drama change sports.

All I want is more improvement from him. The stats will come along with said improvement.
DaFuk? If I heard mass shooting at a local Thom McAns in the news I will know exactly who did it. It's like you have combined the mind altered nonsense of Rask with the unelicited rage of jobless basement maid failed blogger BF51.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Mid range accuracy is what I would like to see, because some of the weapons we have are capable of scoring nearly every single time if they get the ball in stride.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Oh to add to mine. I want more shots downfield.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He'll be what he is regardless of where he was drafted. If you think it was too early, hold it against Pace and not the player.

Really good works for me but there's lots to this that doesn't show up in pure passing stats. Last year he was the antithesis of a QB like Cousins who has top 10 stats but never elevates his team. Mitch got bailed out by his mates a few times but he also kept some critical drives going when others would not. If we can keep the good and lose most of the bad, he'll become what we expected of him.

Obviously he'll be what he is regardless of draft spot. I don't think I am stretching things when I say that a guy drafted that high should perform at a high level. I do not think that is an unreasonable expectation. Bear fans have been patient and I personally don't think middle of the league is an acceptable place for MT.

And though the defense is going to be everything that it is cracked up to be I don' think you will see a very conservative offensive scheme. That isn't Nagy's style and if he wanted to ground and pound Howard would still be on the team.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He'll be what he is regardless of where he was drafted. If you think it was too early, hold it against Pace and not the player.

Really good works for me but there's lots to this that doesn't show up in pure passing stats. Last year he was the antithesis of a QB like Cousins who has top 10 stats but never elevates his team. Mitch got bailed out by his mates a few times but he also kept some critical drives going when others would not. If we can keep the good and lose most of the bad, he'll become what we expected of him.

You don't draft a QB 2nd with the expectation of him being just average. Draft position is definitely a factor when it comes to expectations. A 6th round QB has lower expectations than the 2nd player taken in the draft.

At the end of the day if he is middle of the pack as a QB then he ultimately is not a franchise QB as that is just average. I would think the point in trading up and drafting him was for him to be a franchise QB.

Although I do agree that it isn't all about stats. He doesn't necessarily need to have stats of a top 10 QB if ultimately it is clear he is clutch or a winner. Think early Russel Wilson or even Tom Brady. Those guys were seen more as game managers and it took a while for people to really realize they had the ability to be so much more. So there is an element of looking the part. Can Trubs give us the impression he is the franchise even if his numbers are not top 5 or 10? That is the open question.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
You don't draft a QB 2nd with the expectation of him being just average. Draft position is definitely a factor when it comes to expectations. A 6th round QB has lower expectations than the 2nd player taken in the draft.

Although I do agree that it isn't all about stats. He doesn't necessarily need to have stats of a top 10 QB if ultimately it is clear he is clutch or a winner. Think early Russel Wilson or even Tom Brady.

Overflowing with irony....and stupidity.

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
I expect a transcendent year. 45+ touchdowns, 5.000+ yards, under 4 interceptions, and 70%+ completion rating. Anything less and I will declare him a bust.

If I can do it in Madden, Trubisky can do it in real life. It's time to stop the excuses.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

At the end of the day if he is middle of the pack as a QB then he ultimately is not a franchise QB as that is just average. I would think the point in trading up and drafting him was for him to be a franchise QB.

Although I do agree that it isn't all about stats. He doesn't necessarily need to have stats of a top 10 QB if ultimately it is clear he is clutch or a winner. Think early Russel Wilson or even Tom Brady. Those guys were seen more as game managers and it took a while for people to really realize they had the ability to be so much more. So there is an element of looking the part. Can Trubs give us the impression he is the franchise even if his numbers are not top 5 or 10? That is the open question.
Does a guy always have to be a top 5-10 QB to be a franchise QB?
What about a guy that is just sorta average in rating and has a slightly better than .500 career record but is durable and plays for the team for like 12-15 years. Would that be a guy considered a franchise QB? Worth the #2 Pick?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
He will progress, but the opponents have had an offseason to digest Nagy's offense, so IMO it will be a zero sum gain.

Regarding the WTF plays, they are tough to move from. Brett Favre had a few of those in most games as well. Not saying they are the same, just that it's tough to coach a player to avoid them.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Regarding the WTF plays, they are tough to move from. Brett Favre had a few of those in most games as well. Not saying they are the same, just that it's tough to coach a player to avoid them.

Favre's WTF plays were due to him thinking he could force the ball through a tight window, or throw the ball past a deep safety. He thought his arm was invincible, and many times it was, but it led to WTF throws.

Trubisky's WTF plays are due to him being inaccurate, missing guys who are wide open with no pass rush in his face. I'm not even sure what a coach could do...you can't really tell Mitch not to throw to the open guy. Maybe just being more comfortable in the offense will let Mitch settle down and make the easy throws.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Hmm...

3500yds
32 TD
11 INTs

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Favre's WTF plays were due to him thinking he could force the ball through a tight window, or throw the ball past a deep safety. He thought his arm was invincible, and many times it was, but it led to WTF throws.

Trubisky's WTF plays are due to him being inaccurate, missing guys who are wide open with no pass rush in his face. I'm not even sure what a coach could do...you can't really tell Mitch not to throw to the open guy. Maybe just being more comfortable in the offense will let Mitch settle down and make the easy throws.
It's all footwork and fundamentals, but you can't have your QB going out there afraid of making a mistake.

This of Sexy Rexy. He had his limitations, but at his best he was focused on making a play. As his career began to wind down he started to focus on minimizing mistakes, which ultimately made him ineffective.

Just for some perspective, I've listen to a lot of Eagles press conferences. Coach Doug Pederson, who's a former QB, albeit a backup, has spoken about some of Wentz' bad throws. These throws include some bad overthrows and bad decisions. He says it's a fine line because you want your QB looking for the kill shot, so in maintaining that mindset you have to accept there will be mistakes.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Overflowing with irony....and stupidity.

Tom Brady and Russel Wilson did not have the expectations of the 2nd pick of the draft. They exceeded any reasonable expectations based on their draft position.

My comment about Trubs comparing to them was not about their expectations coming into the NFL but their actual early play where they didn't necessarily put up huge numbers but generally played well when it mattered most.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Does a guy always have to be a top 5-10 QB to be a franchise QB?
What about a guy that is just sorta average in rating and has a slightly better than .500 career record but is durable and plays for the team for like 12-15 years. Would that be a guy considered a franchise QB? Worth the #2 Pick?

Think the definition depends on the person but I would not consider someone a franchise QB if they were merely average for 12-15 years. Like I don't know that I would consider a guy like Stafford a franchise QB as he has been too up and down over the course of his career IMO but to each his own I suppose.

I mean what you are describing could probably fit Jay Cutler. Is he a franchise QB?