2019 Draft

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
If Hughes falls to 3, you have to take him.

I still don’t see NJ passing on the American kid. That’s marketing 101.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I’m just grasping at straws. Seems like we just sit tight and take Kakko, Byram or Hughes and walk away with day 1 help. Godsend

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
I'm just worried Stan takes Caufield.....

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I’d like Stan to get ballsy and take on a bad contract to gain some more long-term assets.

Callahan in TB is entering a contract year and the Bolts have cap issues. Hawks have no business signing any free agents other than for filler depth purposes anyway. Use the cap space for a guy like Callahan or even Horton in Toronto (straight to LTIR). We all know how much Stan has had to pay to create cap space in the past so it’s time to turn the tables. Hawks finally have a prospect pool that is busting with talent, but they are still another year or two away from making contributions. Guys like Callahan and Horton expire after this year when you need to sign Cat, Strome, and Kahun. Try to grab another 1st rounder or a mid round pick and a blocked prospect that is closer to the show.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I’d like Stan to get ballsy and take on a bad contract to gain some more long-term assets.

Callahan in TB is entering a contract year and the Bolts have cap issues. Hawks have no business signing any free agents other than for filler depth purposes anyway. Use the cap space for a guy like Callahan or even Horton in Toronto (straight to LTIR). We all know how much Stan has had to pay to create cap space in the past so it’s time to turn the tables. Hawks finally have a prospect pool that is busting with talent, but they are still another year or two away from making contributions. Guys like Callahan and Horton expire after this year when you need to sign Cat, Strome, and Kahun. Try to grab another 1st rounder or a mid round pick and a blocked prospect that is closer to the show.
Hawks have no business taking on bad contracts right now when they are too busy dealing with the ones they already have. The only way out of the hole is that pipeline if prospects your talking about. Cheap cheap prospects. Nothing in FA unless you can unload some dead weight to make room for someone who is going to be an actual impact player. You have about 19M in space but the number 3 entry level to pay. And 4 other roster spots. Plus the dead roster spots you have to make up for the dead weight.

Last edited:

KBIB

Liked Posts:

I would think hard about Horton.

Leafs need cap space to sign Marner. I'd want a complete fleece job tho.

Leafs first, Kapanen, and Sandin and Horton for a third rounder and filler.

Between Horton and Crawford, that's 11 million to resign Cat and Strome.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Callahan or Horton aren’t anchor contracts like Seabrook because they expire after next season. Hawks need cap space after this year to re-sign a few key guys then but now they could deploy their cap a different way to add more picks/prospects while other teams clearly in a win now mode are doing the exact opposite.

The Hawks’ window with 88 and 19 is still open for 3-4 years so the best way to push for another playoff run is to have waves of prospects/cheap talent coming up in 2-3 years.

People need to get it out of their head that he Hawks need to win now because of Keith/Seabrook. Sorry, that window closed awhile back and I think Stan realized that with all the dmen he has been drafting. You still got a small window remaining with 88 and 19. This year should be one more building year then you have no choice but to go for it.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
The thing with Horton is that yes the Leafs can LTIR him but only on the first day of the season so they have to carry him at full cap during the offseason which could completely mess up their ability to re-sign Marner and make other moves without going over the summer cap which is 10 % overage the regular season cap.

They need to move him at the draft to have the necessary flexibility to address roster concerns.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The real question is if Rocky would go for go for a Horton deal. Plus, I'm not sure the fans would appreciate a tank-year, which means less tickets sold, which means less shitty vodka sold at the games....even if for one year.

It is intriguing with respect to refilling the coffers, though.

Thing is right now we have ~63.5M committed out of 83--which is a red cunt hair less than 20M on the books. We get 13 more million the following summer (assuming no lock-out. Cap space is not a problem. Dead cap and under-performing cap is.

Plus you have to figure Stan is fighting for his job (and if he isn't he fucking well should be). He's got his coach, his cronies, 6 players or more going for their next payday this coming season and the 3OA pick and the fans themselves are restless especially after being embarrassed by Nashville followed by Crawford masking one of the worst teams the 'hawks iced for half a season followed my a year where the D was so bad it was dead weight on par with Yahoo Serious' recent acting career. He's gotta be under the crosshairs at this point so I seriously doubt he's going to waste a year for long-term gain.

If anything, he'll have more propensity to make really dumb moves on the off-chance some "wunder-weapon"comes in and salvages the year--like giving up assets to move up in the draft, drafting someone like Caufield well about his slotting, signing someone like Karlsson (we need defense; we already got Gus), or otherwise trying to build up on strengths the team has which are already maxed out rather than fixing the weaknesses.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I dont know about any upcoming space. I highly doubt Cat is taking a bridge, so no doubt that is heading to 6 million. ( I guess if Breadman gets his 10 it might be more)

Strome will probably slide into AA's money slot. Even with 4 new D men in tow, considering Boqvist and Joker make the team, you gotta feel they are going to keep Murphy. Boqvist should have made the team last season, so he will want retribution for his hear of control.

No, we need to hear the name Seabrook, Crawford, or at least AA being traded within the next three weeks. No doubt he finds some other betteran forward, like this team needs more leaders.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I dont know about any upcoming space. I highly doubt Cat is taking a bridge, so no doubt that is heading to 6 million. ( I guess if Breadman gets his 10 it might be more)

Strome will probably slide into AA's money slot. Even with 4 new D men in tow, considering Boqvist and Joker make the team, you gotta feel they are going to keep Murphy. Boqvist should have made the team last season, so he will want retribution for his hear of control.

No, we need to hear the name Seabrook, Crawford, or at least AA being traded within the next three weeks. No doubt he finds some other betteran forward, like this team needs more leaders.
Debrincat might be looking at 7+million. 40+ goals is nothing to sneeze at at would be on par with Toews/Kane's 1st deal (no cup, but more goals).

No one is taking Seabrook. His contract is the very definition of dead cap. Further he's still an NMC and his wife loves Chicago. He's not waiving. Our only reasonable out before 2024 is a compliance buyout.

This upcoming season is most likely Crawford's last. I doubt the're going to trade him especially because of his recent spat of injuries and that he also has clauses attached, and the goalie cupboards are either very unproven or not good. In all likleyhood they use him this year to help bring along the winner of the backup goalie sweepstakes--using him like they did Turco in 2011 or Huet in 2010.

AA is a good candidate to be moved...ditto with Saad. Neither have any clauses and both are making more than what they do on the ice. Strome could slide into either slot but I don't think he's inked early. Debrincat? Sure. Not Strome.

I also don't think with the D the 'hawks have right now they're going to be icing many more of the prospects. Keith & Seabs are locks. Murph is likely staying until a rookie supplants him. Gus is going to get the opportunity to prove he can do more than score. that leave 2 open slots and Joker has the inside track-unless Koekkoek or Dahlstrom supplant him. Plus, Boqvist & Beaudin can have their ELC's slide a year (mitchell's going back to college), and by not having them play next year it automatically protects them from being exposed in expansion.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here is the win win win way I am currently looking at the draft. Don't trade down. Don't do anything stupid. They have an interesting Russian coming over this year, and an interesting Chech....Jokuru is on the upside...Bovquist finished strong...

My biggest gripe right now isn't with Keith...who is a Goddamn hockey God. Its how this team doesn't see he can't do it any more and keeps playing him more minutes than he can play well at. Its a sin to treat a hockey god this way and create seasons of tape where his legacy is legit tarnished.

Play Keith sparingly. Let him be strong. Let him be fresh. Let him be rested. Jesus fucking almighty it really pisses me off...how many games did it go on with this dead to rights powerplay replay just scuffle the shot into some shins...skuffle the shot into some shins...for like 2 years. No production.

Seabrook should be a 7. Keith is a 4 or a 5. They need to see it.

For that reason...this draft is beautiful. I feel no fear. I have no worry. Its easy to accept THIS fate.

1. If we somehow got Kappo Kakko...I think he might be the best player in the draft. He really reeks of Austin Mathews level player, a Marrian Hossa type of a winger. What he has done with Finland is unbelievable. This dude is an NHL All-star lock as a rookie. Fucking dominant for 10 years no problem.

2. Jack Hughes anyone? hahahahahahahahahahahahha

just wow. We might actually have this dribbling laser to fuck around with near Kane. Or form a third line around Jack Hughes...or give Toews that speed element and play Hughes at wing to begin career across from Saad. Saad and Toews could use a puck handler, lets be honest. Maybe we need to recognize that is the element that made Hossa their perfect linemate. He could handle the puck and carry the line. Then his speed..etc...no limit to the things we could try with this kid right away. He probably also means the "dynasty" or at least tradition of great hockey has chance to go another decade. So... alright.

3. And if we don't get one of those absolut complete fucking studs...then we get the PERFECT answer to the #1 team issue I outlined at the outset...a minutes eating dominant defender who plays 2 ends and will do what it takes in big minutes, has stamina, skating, and handling, and I think makes Keith a better player for the next 3 years too...which is huge to this team.

They can walk away with either of the other two...happy as hell, but if the Hawks get Lord Byram...they will hold a position of surplus from which to trade on defense...and they will have two foreign forwards coming over.

If Crow were to be healthy what is the reason they aren't now a possible walk to the playoffs and dangerous cup threat team in two years, with an immediate play-off birth and chance next year, and maybe a little mini stretch window with 88-19 for another 4 years? And the Finish goaltender after Crow!

I feel hopeful. I think the cap tightness is starting to shake free a bit and the lottery really vaulted the timeline up a year for a legit chance.

Am I overhyping the significance of this top 3?

The top 2 are likely special players, all-stars for many years...and the third is sort of the fate piece of why we launched up to #3...the exact player we need in a draft to help right away reduce Keiths workload.

Lord Byram feels fated. ?? yeah?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Debrincat might be looking at 7+million. 40+ goals is nothing to sneeze at at would be on par with Toews/Kane's 1st deal (no cup, but more goals).

No one is taking Seabrook. His contract is the very definition of dead cap. Further he's still an NMC and his wife loves Chicago. He's not waiving. Our only reasonable out before 2024 is a compliance buyout.

This upcoming season is most likely Crawford's last. I doubt the're going to trade him especially because of his recent spat of injuries and that he also has clauses attached, and the goalie cupboards are either very unproven or not good. In all likleyhood they use him this year to help bring along the winner of the backup goalie sweepstakes--using him like they did Turco in 2011 or Huet in 2010.

AA is a good candidate to be moved...ditto with Saad. Neither have any clauses and both are making more than what they do on the ice. Strome could slide into either slot but I don't think he's inked early. Debrincat? Sure. Not Strome.

I also don't think with the D the 'hawks have right now they're going to be icing many more of the prospects. Keith & Seabs are locks. Murph is likely staying until a rookie supplants him. Gus is going to get the opportunity to prove he can do more than score. that leave 2 open slots and Joker has the inside track-unless Koekkoek or Dahlstrom supplant him. Plus, Boqvist & Beaudin can have their ELC's slide a year (mitchell's going back to college), and by not having them play next year it automatically protects them from being exposed in expansion.

hmmmm...a 2020 all-in timeline looks possible.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
It's 100% going to be Turcotte.

There's a fucking profile on the Hawks very own website about the kid.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Goalie seems to be becoming even less of a priority in this draft.

Pay article.

"What had the makings of an already complicated situation appears to be even more so, as prospect Ivan Nalimov is ready to leave Russia and sign with the Blackhawks for next season, according to a source. The question now is whether the Blackhawks will reciprocate the interest.

Nalimov, who will turn 25 in August, was drafted by the Blackhawks in the sixth round in 2014 and has been playing in the KHL the last five seasons while the Blackhawks have continued to hold his NHL rights. He had a breakout 2017-18 season and was among the KHL’s top goalies with a .938 save percentage. He was less consistent in the 2018-19 season and spent a majority of the year as the No. 2 goalie for Avangard, one of the KHL’s top teams. He finished the season with a .917 save percentage in 18 games.

Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman was intrigued by Nalimov’s rise during the 2017-18 season and said he would discuss with Nalimov the possibility of coming over. The Blackhawks ultimately didn’t have any goalie openings organizationally, and Nalimov asked the Blackhawks to trade his NHL rights, a request he later rescinded. Nalimov’s agent Shumi Babaev said last August he had spoken to Bowman, and Nalimov’s hope was to play one more season in the KHL and then sign with the Blackhawks."

Also

"Next year, the Blackhawks are also expected to sign goalie prospect Alexis Gravel. He was drafted by the Blackhawks in the sixth round in 2018 and was among the top goalies in the QMJHL this season. He is expected to play in the QMJHL again next season. "

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I guess I would treat goalie like recruiting a QB in college football. You want to take one every year just in case because you never know where it's going to work out.

EbonyRaptor

Liked Posts:
The Hawks have $20.3M in cap space right now, but that's with only 9 forwards and 6 d-men under contract, plus that's assuming the 2019/20 cap will be $83M. If the cap is lowered, which often happens after the playoffs complete, the Hawks will have less than $20.3M in cap space. They will need to (re)sign at least 6 if not 7 players and even if those are low cost players (likely), that still going to knock $6M or $7M off the available cap space so they really have in the $13M - $14M range of unallocated available cap space to spend in the 2019/20 season - BUT - not all of that can be used beyond the 2019/20 season because a good chunk of it will need to go toward re-signing Cat/Strome/Kahun.

Therefore, using 2019/20 cap space to take on 1-year of Callahan ($5.8M) and/or 1-year of Horton on LTIR ($5.3M) and/or 1-year of Clarkson on LTIR ($5.2M) would be a great use of cap space to acquire extra picks/prospects from teams that are in a cap space bind.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
It's 100% going to be Turcotte.

There's a fucking profile on the Hawks very own website about the kid.

I can’t say I would be disappointed with that pick. I would rather bet on byram but at least turcotte wouldn’t be getting cute with the pick. I just don’t like that we probably won’t see him for a few seasons

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The Hawks have $20.3M in cap space right now, but that's with only 9 forwards and 6 d-men under contract, plus that's assuming the 2019/20 cap will be $83M. If the cap is lowered, which often happens after the playoffs complete, the Hawks will have less than $20.3M in cap space. They will need to (re)sign at least 6 if not 7 players and even if those are low cost players (likely), that still going to knock $6M or $7M off the available cap space so they really have in the $13M - $14M range of unallocated available cap space to spend in the 2019/20 season - BUT - not all of that can be used beyond the 2019/20 season because a good chunk of it will need to go toward re-signing Cat/Strome/Kahun.

Therefore, using 2019/20 cap space to take on 1-year of Callahan ($5.8M) and/or 1-year of Horton on LTIR ($5.3M) and/or 1-year of Clarkson on LTIR ($5.2M) would be a great use of cap space to acquire extra picks/prospects from teams that are in a cap space bind.

As fans we are thinking long term

Does our gm? He might be in win now mode if he’s on the hot seat. If he has been given a vote of confidence sure you make a good point. If not he will be doing anything it takes to make something happen this season