2019 Draft

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is tough. I'm not gonna argue with anyone about Gus's crazy ill timed turnovers and getting caught up ice but It is hard to discount what he has added to the PP with the bonus of allowing Keith to get less ice time. Keith is not getting any younger. I think they need to work with Gus a bit and find a spot for him.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
but that is where the team is strong, with the left side guys. they clearly need to stop the madness of clearing on the backhand. Hammer got so used to it, they put him on the left side where he belongs in the worlds and he was just average again. With Hammer it was a special circumstance, all D little O, so it was not as important, but they did win three cups that way. Now they are looking for offensive help from the D.

Gus is alot like Leddy, and will probably get moved because he is alot like Leddy. Just took a while to find another Leddy here, even though those were the years they were the dynasty.

Maybe now we can replace the Buff guy.
While there are a lot of FA D options, there's a possibility of blagging Tyler Meyers. He may not replace buff, but I'd be game for it.
This is tough. I'm not gonna argue with anyone about Gus's crazy ill timed turnovers and getting caught up ice but It is hard to discount what he has added to the PP with the bonus of allowing Keith to get less ice time. Keith is not getting any younger. I think they need to work with Gus a bit and find a spot for him.
The issue is cap--pure and simple. I believe I mentioned in a previous thread we have 5-6 RFA's coming due at the end of next season--including Strome and Debrincat. Strome should command a good chunk of salary and Debrincat will command a very sizable chunk--RFA or not. IMHO both of those guys are as-valuable--and in Debrincat's case *more* valuable than Gus.

While Crawford's 6M should be off the books, I think it will take jettisoning another contract in order to keep Gus, and unfortunately the logjam of NMC's might make that difficult. Now, if Gus ups his D-game (not impossible--Campbell in his 1st go-around here did it), that might move him from Luxury to must keep. But as much as he's helped our PP, we need even more help on our PK.

It's not that I think anyone really wants to get rid of him, but given the immovable contracts we got, if he stays, who realistically goes?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
While there are a lot of FA D options, there's a possibility of blagging Tyler Meyers. He may not replace buff, but I'd be game for it.

The issue is cap--pure and simple. I believe I mentioned in a previous thread we have 5-6 RFA's coming due at the end of next season--including Strome and Debrincat. Strome should command a good chunk of salary and Debrincat will command a very sizable chunk--RFA or not. IMHO both of those guys are as-valuable--and in Debrincat's case *more* valuable than Gus.

While Crawford's 6M should be off the books, I think it will take jettisoning another contract in order to keep Gus, and unfortunately the logjam of NMC's might make that difficult. Now, if Gus ups his D-game (not impossible--Campbell in his 1st go-around here did it), that might move him from Luxury to must keep. But as much as he's helped our PP, we need even more help on our PK.

It's not that I think anyone really wants to get rid of him, but given the immovable contracts we got, if he stays, who realistically goes?

I mean if they stand pat, your points are valid ones.....but I don't think they will. The FO is not going to go all in on rebuild, so they will have to hit the trade market. It all depends on who goes and who stays. While these contracts do seem like dead weights, they've figured a way before to move them....for a negative return of course, but you do what you got to do. The most surprising thing to me is that McDonough is letting Bowman slide for putting them in this situation....only thing I can figure is that he signed off on these contracts before Bowman offered them.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
So our point a game second round pick last year Entwistle scored two goals to knock Bovquist out of the playoffs.

Seems there is talent looming in the OHL for next year, lets hope some of them have spots to try to win next season and we are not signing a bunch more leader type veteran never blackhawks again.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean if they stand pat, your points are valid ones.....but I don't think they will. The FO is not going to go all in on rebuild, so they will have to hit the trade market. It all depends on who goes and who stays. While these contracts do seem like dead weights, they've figured a way before to move them....for a negative return of course, but you do what you got to do. The most surprising thing to me is that McDonough is letting Bowman slide for putting them in this situation....only thing I can figure is that he signed off on these contracts before Bowman offered them.

Sadly I think it's very likely the Grinch is involved in a lot of hockey decisions, so I wouldn't be so quick to put all of the blame on Bowman. And for the record I am not a fan of Bowman's.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
McDonuts is all in with Bowmans. I dont think the old man is helping the kid much anymore, but it almost seems like the only way to get teams to take some of these top loaded guys off our hands is if Rocky finishes his book signing tour and works the phones. I dont think anyone wants to help McDonuts and Bowman.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
IMHO we got Saad and Anisimov which might be our best trade chips and cap dumps, but I don't think the 'hawks are going to mortgage the future--at least yet. I think either/both could be moved for little return cap or a player on an expiring contract.

I still think they might make a better splash in the FA market. I would like to see Meyers here.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Ian Mitchell announced he is going back to college. Pushes the Hawks rights back another year, but if he sticks thru his senior year, rights will be gone.

Most called him our most pro ready defender out of the big 3. I am guessing the D man might be a lock now.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ian Mitchell announced he is going back to college. Pushes the Hawks rights back another year, but if he sticks thru his senior year, rights will be gone.

Most called him our most pro ready defender out of the big 3. I am guessing the D man might be a lock now.
Maybe, but it might be part of a blessing in disguise. Not sure if I posted my thoughts about the impending expansion draft here, but if Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin, whomever we pick in the draft this year winds up sitting out this coming year, we won't have to protect them. That's not a bad thing long-term especially if they are that good. It would suck losing one for nothing and I don't know about you or anyone else, but like last expansion draft I want to leave Seattle table scraps and not expose a gem.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Maybe, but it might be part of a blessing in disguise. Not sure if I posted my thoughts about the impending expansion draft here, but if Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin, whomever we pick in the draft this year winds up sitting out this coming year, we won't have to protect them. That's not a bad thing long-term especially if they are that good. It would suck losing one for nothing and I don't know about you or anyone else, but like last expansion draft I want to leave Seattle table scraps and not expose a gem.
I dont know, look at who they protected last time, Panik, Hartman, Jurco and Hammer.

Hammer dealt for a worse d man, Hartman might have got some promise with Kurashev, but I thought Ejdsell would have gotten some time last year, Jurco, I still dont know what we got for him, Panik was Duclair who never fit and Clendening, who we never wanted the first time. I know not many liked TVR, but I thought he should have been protected. It was pretty over rated.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

So the verdict is joker sucks and can't help us?

If Joker sucks, Mitchell going back, Pods is two years away, Turcotte is fucked up bad...Keith and Seabs are overpaid...

Byram is looking good.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I dont know, look at who they protected last time, Panik, Hartman, Jurco and Hammer.

Hammer dealt for a worse d man, Hartman might have got some promise with Kurashev, but I thought Ejdsell would have gotten some time last year, Jurco, I still dont know what we got for him, Panik was Duclair who never fit and Clendening, who we never wanted the first time. I know not many liked TVR, but I thought he should have been protected. It was pretty over rated.
Panik just camer off of a career year and looked like he had chemistry enough to kickstart Toews. In retrospect we maybe should have exposed him but at the time it looked like the change of scenery did him good.
Hjammer got someone in return--Even Murph is worse, he's at least an NHL D-man and Hjammer left unprotected would mean we lose him for nothing. I don't necessarily agree with the trade that sent him packing but losing him for nothing in the expansion draft? No.
TVR was an interesting case. If the 'hawks protected him, the 'hawks would have needed to run a 8 skater/1 goalie protection scheme (over the 7FWD, 3D, 1G scheme), and I think if they would have done so, it would have left a real asset (or at least a real asset at the time) at FWD unprotected. TVR was at the time "just a guy" and not an exceptional D-man by any means.

I thought it was going to come down between Kruger and TVR, and honestly, I was okay with losing either. I don't think TVR would have salvaged any of the intervening years.

The real issue is the NMC's. Just like last time there are a lot of players the 'hawks *have* to protect that maybe, if they weren't obliged to--wouldn't protect.
So the verdict is joker sucks and can't help us?

If Joker sucks, Mitchell going back, Pods is two years away, Turcotte is fucked up bad...Keith and Seabs are overpaid...

Byram is looking good.
Not in the least. Joker, having played his 1st NHL season this past one and likely will play next year will have to be protected or exposed like any other player. If Boqvist, Beaudin, Mitchell, etc. don't play next year they are automatically protected in the expansion draft without using a protection slot--for the same reason why we didn't have to protect Panarin.

I see it like this: Keith, Seabrook, Toews, and Kane *have* to be protected due to their NMC status (unless they specifically waive). The goalie situation will sort itself out--Crawford's deal will be done and I figure the 'hawks will have a goalie on the roster who qualifies for the exposure requirements. Beyond that I don't the the 'hawks desiring to protect any more than 4 FWDs--Toews, Kane, Debrincat, and Strome. No other guy there is a *must keep* and even Strome is borderline. Any FWD prospect we have, much like our D prospects, simply doesn't have to play next year and they are protected. On D we have more blue-chips--like the guys you mentioned, but only Gus and Joker at this point are blue-chips that are exposable at this point. Every other D-prospect is in a position where by not playing them, they become protected--like Mitchel going back to school.

Now if Gus ends up being moved it gives the 'hawks some flexibility with our prospect D. However, I do think that it would be detrimental to keep a kid down if he's earned it up here (i.e. if Boqvist knocks it out of the park this preseason don't keep him down just because he might be exposed), but I think the 'hawks will take that into consideration and limit the D-prospects this coming year or make moves to accommodate.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
On some of the NHL draft lists the "big two" have become a "big three" with Byram.

Byram stock has shot up significantly.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Don't forget, the hawks were signing guys like Tootoo just to have players available to be exposed to the expansion draft.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Watching the U18s I'm blown away by Turcotte.

Love Byram, but Turcotte is going to be a super star.

After one and two there are allot of players I like and I like him allot. But byram is still my fav with turcotte a close second. All signs so far I see still point to the Russian who the analysts really gush over

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Watching the U18s I'm blown away by Turcotte.

Love Byram, but Turcotte is going to be a super star.
That’s what I want to hear. Going to be a valuable pick!!! Top 5 is a star in 3 years, all 5 of them, book it.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
After one and two there are allot of players I like and I like him allot. But byram is still my fav with turcotte a close second. All signs so far I see still point to the Russian who the analysts really gush over
I've heard this.

Im a big fan of Pods, don't get me wrong, he's going to be special.

But right now Turcotte is on another level. Byram or Turcotte and I'll call it a great draft.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like what you all say about Byram and would love it, but to pass on a game changing forward like Pods or Turcotte the D man almost has to be Keith or Hedman or Burns level. Imo.

That might be grasping and too much to ask?

With Bovwuist here and a numbers crunch mentioned, I hope they go with the young forward.

Turcotte. And he gets here soon.

How young do you think he could be safe to play on that hip in NHL at his age? Given time he likely heals stronger at 17.

But we need physical Pods.

I feel like we can’t go wrong here.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Rask you might be onto something. I think part of it why we want byram so bad is we miss hammer, we miss the old Keith, we miss unbroke version of broke etc. it’s been a total disaster the passed few years how much the defense has been holding us back