2019 Draft

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Doughty is a bit extreme in my mind.

As a Hawk fine I have a biased opinion due to seeing some of his all-time greatest moments...but he is a guy that should be discussed in top 100 conversations. The Hawks are a thing that happened that changed hockey, and he is one of a select few that vanquished them in their prime...and I say he because they don't win those series without him. Quick and Him, but alot of him.

So to say Byram is Doughty to me is draft pressure I don't believe in. Or "next Gretsky" type talk...etc...with a Jack Hughes...

too often you will be disappointed. I think an all-star game or two is even a high mark to judge a #3 pick...but is a reachable mark that certainly justifies the selection.

Given the KHL fears on Pods, and Turcotte hip, and fact that the Hawks have enough scoring already, as well as tradable
Well, I've watched alot of Byram, and his game is extremely similar to DDs, if that means anything.

He's gonna be a stud. The value of the third pick has skyrocketed because of his playoffs.

I used to think if he maxed out as a top four guy, I'd be happy, but I think he's a legit top pairing guy in about two years.

Byram, Turcotte, and Caulfield. Idk how the Hawks can pull this off, but these three would open up a long cup window in about a year.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It looks like the top 5 in this draft are mortal locks and the top 8-12ish can be all-stars.

The way I currently look at this situation is that Turcotte and Pods made this decision easy by having timeline questions.

Byram can not only help right away, but with Toews, Crow, Kane...we have a golden horse at center, wing, and goalie.

The defense used to have one, and we always knew father time would take them from us first. Byram is the perfect pick for us and a godsend of fate and luck to have Keith on a second or third paring in a year or two.

Bovquist, Joker, and Byram will all be shining at about the same time. If we can get to a place where Seabs is packaged away with some young talent, and Keith is the new Soupy or Rozy...

Then maybe they can make a final run or two while these guys are young with Toews/Kane/Crow/Cat

It sucks the defense wasn't a year ahead of where they are...but they are coming.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Still hoping for Byram, but Turcotte is right there. I like Cozens as well; not sure if I like it at 3

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, I've watched alot of Byram, and his game is extremely similar to DDs, if that means anything.

He's gonna be a stud. The value of the third pick has skyrocketed because of his playoffs.

I used to think if he maxed out as a top four guy, I'd be happy, but I think he's a legit top pairing guy in about two years.

Byram, Turcotte, and Caulfield. Idk how the Hawks can pull this off, but these three would open up a long cup window in about a year.

I wish the Bulls could open a window with Zion, Ja Morant, and Barrett but that isn't how this draft thing works.

So if pressed...do you choose Byram or Turcotte?

It seems Caulfield is going top 10 as well so little chance we could come away with two of them and still have Kane.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I wish the Bulls could open a window with Zion, Ja Morant, and Barrett but that isn't how this draft thing works.

So if pressed...do you choose Byram or Turcotte?

It seems Caulfield is going top 10 as well so little chance we could come away with two of them and still have Kane.
Gotta take a number one defenseman.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
what makes Hughes and kokka better than Turcotte and Pods that Byram is slotted in between 4 forwards?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Comparitive contract

well, Lindell signs with Stars for a contract that shows Keith with 40 points is still a steal

KBIB

Liked Posts:
what makes Hughes and kokka better than Turcotte and Pods that Byram is slotted in between 4 forwards?
That's a good question.

Low floors.

Hughes is Kane at fast speed unlike Kane who slows the game down with the puck on his stick.

Kakko is the second coming of Hossa. There isn't a better comparison then Hossa. They are pretty much identical. But not the slower, more cerebral Hossa on the Hawks, the game breaker from the Sens who was putting up 35/40 goals.

Hughes floor is Pat LaFontaine before the concussions, while Kakko will be a poor man's Hossa.

Byrams ceiling is DD.
But his floor is a better skating, faster Seabrook. I'd still take that over LaFontaine if all the players bottom out.

Turcotte is going to be a Kesler, not the washed up one, the asshole during his tenure on the Nucks, while Pods could be a Panarin hybrid with grit, or might never come over.

Defenseman are just hard to draft. Think you gotta take Byram and not look back

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I will say this, somebody on twitter stated the Hawks would pick Byram if the draft was today. He since deleted the Tweet, but he did call the Panarin trade a day before it happened...

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That would be my take as well--if for no other reason that the 'hawks are going to need Keith's old, #1 D anchor role filled sooner than they need Toews' #1C role filled.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thank you...I understand now.

I'm starting to hope Byram is available at 3 as he seems like an incredible safe pick with high value to us...maybe safer than hitching to the the Hughes hype train...

I'm sure its hard for any GM to pass on a Turcotte no matter the situation...but its starting to look like #3 is a real fucking nice place to be.

If we get Hughes or Kakko so be it!! But I'm liking this Byram business and having a flag barer on the defense should energize the entire unit, imo.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
That would be my take as well--if for no other reason that the 'hawks are going to need Keith's old, #1 D anchor role filled sooner than they need Toews' #1C role filled.
I watch alot of hockey. Prolly an unhealthy amount.

Byram is going to be a stud. His skating alone makes him a top 4 dman and a severe upgrade for a Hawks team that can't keep the puck out its own net.

He isn't a Cam Barker. Barker was slow and couldn't skate with the Hawks best players. Byram can. Byram might be an upgrade on skating on the back end until Boqvist gets here who will be the best skater on the team.

I say, take Byram unless a team wants to over pay for him with a legit top pairing D and a top ten pick.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I watch alot of hockey. Prolly an unhealthy amount.

Byram is going to be a stud. His skating alone makes him a top 4 dman and a severe upgrade for a Hawks team that can't keep the puck out its own net.

He isn't a Cam Barker. Barker was slow and couldn't skate with the Hawks best players. Byram can. Byram might be an upgrade on skating on the back end until Boqvist gets here who will be the best skater on the team.

I say, take Byram unless a team wants to over pay for him with a legit top pairing D and a top ten pick.

ahhhhh....smart...

you know I won't be ticked off if thats what happens. I think as a franchise you probably just count your lucky draft stars and slot Byram in as Keiths heir for ten years. Thanks. Done.

But if we walked away with a nice ready now defenseman + Pods, Turcotte, Caufield or the goaltender....ok I'm in.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
My only true fear here is that stanbo tries again to show everyone how smart he is and goes way outside the box for a reach on a huge upside guy. Someone who will likely be good but ultimately never reach 3rd pick good.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My only true fear here is that stanbo tries again to show everyone how smart he is and goes way outside the box for a reach on a huge upside guy. Someone who will likely be good but ultimately never reach 3rd pick good.
the only way he shows how smart he is involves untangling the Seabrook debacle

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Caufield is shooting up draft boards. This is my concern only because yes he's going to be a great player I would love on the Hawks, but not at the expense of a guy who we can replace DK with for the next decade.

The Hawks were dead set on taking the center the Yotes reached on last year, then took Bovquist instead.

I don't think Caufield lasts past 5.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
ahhhhh....smart...

you know I won't be ticked off if thats what happens. I think as a franchise you probably just count your lucky draft stars and slot Byram in as Keiths heir for ten years. Thanks. Done.

But if we walked away with a nice ready now defenseman + Pods, Turcotte, Caufield or the goaltender....ok I'm in.
Spencer Knight is dropping on draft boards.

I want the Hawks to move back into the first round, late first round to nab him. He's going to be a superstar.

If he somehow falls into the second round Stan has to trade to get him.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

He really has to try to fuck this up. There is legit 5 guys worthy of the number three pick