First time this draft the Phil has disappointed me. :(

Last edited:

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Can't make everyone happy with every pick. I do question this pick as well. Yeah the Bears need a TE, but is this the impact player theyre looking for there? Maybe it is, but on the surface doesnt look like it.

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOH9BVnW8c8]Temple TE Evan Rodriguez Draft Profile - YouTube[/ame]

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_qeeHEJ3Y]Evan Rodriguez vs Miami (Ohio) 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

From Tape: Pretty decent run blocker (can double against rush); good hands; has some moves after catch; good timing.

Overall, it looks like he's a safe pick that should make da Bear's offense versatile with their approach.

D-Fresh3

Liked Posts:
I think his versatility makes him a good pick, he can lead block, block off the line, and block out of the slot. Can Clutts, Davis or Spaeth do that? Good pickup.

Will play an H-Back type of role I think....

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
Here's another...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD0wCu8gmzo]Evan Rodriguez vs Wyoming 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

thedude33

Liked Posts:
He uses his speed to block. I think that's what they liked/need from him.

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
Sean Jensen ‏ @seankjensen
RT @MarkPotash: Temple coach Steve Addazio compared Rodriguez to Patriots' TE Aaron Hernandez, whom Addazio coached at Florida

Zach Zaidman ‏ @ZachZaidman
Just got text from trusted scout. Tells me Rodriguez has good hands & blocking ability. Undersized TE, but athletic H-back. 3-year starter.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dont want it to seem like im hatin. Just think Massie would have been better and better value.

D-Fresh3

Liked Posts:
As Michael Irvin said yesterday (not a direct quote, but close) "not every guy on a team can be a choir boy"

We can't expect to have every guy on our team be high character...

Soundwave_Superior

Liked Posts:
Sean Jensen ‏ @seankjensen
RT @MarkPotash: Temple coach Steve Addazio compared Rodriguez to Patriots' TE Aaron Hernandez, whom Addazio coached at Florida

Zach Zaidman ‏ @ZachZaidman
Just got text from trusted scout. Tells me Rodriguez has good hands & blocking ability. Undersized TE, but athletic H-back. 3-year starter.

Because their last names both end with "ez"?

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears trying to have the worst set of TE's in the NFL.

Soundwave_Superior

Liked Posts:
...'cause they were coached by the same guy, Mr. Snarky-pants.

Easy...I was just making a joke... Nothing against you. But Hernandez is a really good player. If he was perceived to really be as good as Hernandez is in the NFL, I think he would have been drafted higher. That's all.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
Easy...I was just making a joke... Nothing against you. But Hernandez is a really good player. If he was perceived to really be as good as Hernandez is in the NFL, I think he would have been drafted higher. That's all.

What rd was Hernandez drafted in....................

I think the coach was just comparing his style and on the film you can see the simlaritys style wise both are hybrids between a FB and TE. But guys become elite who were drafted in the 4th all the time most of the players in the league are 2-5th rd picks and gems are found there every year hell look at guys who go undrafted and become great players it happens damn near every year

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:

Aaron Hernandez was drafted in da 4th round. Derp. Guess we might've just got a freakin' steal. Evan is a bit faster than Aaron too. Emery's ears must've learned something from the Pats last year. :)

Last edited:

Soundwave_Superior

Liked Posts:

I think the coach was just comparing his style and on the film you can see the simlaritys style wise both are hybrids between a FB and TE. But guys become elite who were drafted in the 4th all the time most of the players in the league are 2-5th rd picks and gems are found there every year hell look at guys who go undrafted and become great players it happens damn near every year

He was also drafted in the 4th because of character concerns I think. But I'd bet if teams could go back and draft again knowing he'd turn out as good as he did, they'd draft him before the 4th.

So if they really think Rodriguez is as good as Hernandez, I'd think he'd have been drafted earlier.