Bears held second private workout with RB Devin Singletary

napo55

Liked Posts:
people didn’t like it when we drafted forte for a variety of reasons and he was solid. Some players might not fit what you are expecting but coach knows what he wants and I’m sure gm will get him as much info as possible to do due diligence. Seems like a group effort good shit
Forte had size, excellent speed (4.49 40) and demonstrated receiving skills. Not so with Singletary.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Not all of us did.

I thought it would be silly to take a One Year Wonder WR with a top ten pick when the Bears had just fielded the worst defensive unit in Franchise History.

^^^^^ intellegent football post ^^^^^^

@TheWinman

It wasn't just senior season game tape.

6' 2 1/2" 215 lbs. 4.35 40

That size speed combination is rare. Cooper was a sure thing, that's why he went ahead of White. White had the potential (size speed) to be the next Calvin Johnson, so a lower basement and higher ceiling. No one expected him to become Mr. Glass, we will never know how good he could have been because after all that leg crap I doubt he still run's a 4.35, possession receiver at best.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It wasn't just senior season game tape.

6' 2 1/2" 215 lbs. 4.35 40

That size speed combination is rare. Cooper was a sure thing, that's why he went ahead of White. White had the potential (size speed) to be the next Calvin Johnson, so a lower basement and higher ceiling. No one expected him to become Mr. Glass, we will never know how good he could have been because after all that leg crap I doubt he still run's a 4.35, possession receiver at best.

I cannot argue with any of this, but it just seemed like a luxury the Bears could not afford. This also came with the assumption that Alshon Jeffrey was going to be a Bear for a long time.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I cannot argue with any of this, but it just seemed like a luxury the Bears could not afford. This also came with the assumption that Alshon Jeffrey was going to be a Bear for a long time.

I can't speak for anyone else but I had visions of Jeffery and White going to pro bowls for the next 10 years, I was a thrilled little meatball. I was actually hoping Cooper would be gone so the Bears would get White.

After the pick there was quite the celebration in Grant Park, it was pretty much down hill from there.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I like how he runs always trying to go forward however the level of competition would be my concern.

The greatest RB of all-time went to Jackson State.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I have issues with a running back that's barely 200lbs that can't crack the 4.5's. You can't draft a 203 rb that runs a 4.66 and doesn't have Matt Fotre/Marshall Faulk type receiving skills before round 5. Athletically, what does Singletary bring to the Bears that isn't there? He'd be the slowest rb in the rb room.

Singletary will fall because of his speed measurements, maybe past the 5th round, but I think the analysts get it wrong when they do this. Too many try to find the perfect all-purpose back and evaluate everyone else accordingly. But being successful in the NFL at runningback is far more than outrunning someone by 2/10th of a second in the 40. You don't see too many runningback breaking out too many 40+ yard runs anyways. Those speedy guys get eaten alive at the line of scrimmage before they get a chance to outrun anyone.

Instead I'd argue the runningback position, at least in the NFL, is more about the 1-5 yard game and consistently being able to knock off chunks of yards here or there. Its about keeping the defense honest to the passing game. With that said, Singletary best trait seems to be finding a crease at the line of scrimmage and getting some tough yards. At times, he bursts through a hole where there seems to be none. He has a good first cut or two that helps him miss the first defender or two, all while not dancing too much, but being able to go north and south.

The stat that proves my point is that he averaged over 5.2 yards per carry this past season, BUT his longest single run was only 44 yards. He didn't get his average Yards Per Carry from a few home-run hits that distorted his numbers, but from consistently knocking off chunks of yards 5+ at a time.

The only thing that concerns me, is that this style of runningback resembles Jordan Howard. Not much in the passing game, but a good complimentary back. I think he will be rated high by this staff, and be one of the best players available if he makes it to the 5th round or later. If he falls late enough I could see us grabbing him even if we decide to go with another running back earlier.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Watching the highlight video of him, he seems to make good, quick cuts and sets up his blocks very well. I can see why they might be interested in him...

napo55

Liked Posts:
Singletary will fall because of his speed measurements, maybe past the 5th round, but I think the analysts get it wrong when they do this. Too many try to find the perfect all-purpose back and evaluate everyone else accordingly. But being successful in the NFL at runningback is far more than outrunning someone by 2/10th of a second in the 40. You don't see too many runningback breaking out too many 40+ yard runs anyways. Those speedy guys get eaten alive at the line of scrimmage before they get a chance to outrun anyone.

Instead I'd argue the runningback position, at least in the NFL, is more about the 1-5 yard game and consistently being able to knock off chunks of yards here or there. Its about keeping the defense honest to the passing game. With that said, Singletary best trait seems to be finding a crease at the line of scrimmage and getting some tough yards. At times, he bursts through a hole where there seems to be none. He has a good first cut or two that helps him miss the first defender or two, all while not dancing too much, but being able to go north and south.

The stat that proves my point is that he averaged over 5.2 yards per carry this past season, BUT his longest single run was only 44 yards. He didn't get his average Yards Per Carry from a few home-run hits that distorted his numbers, but from consistently knocking off chunks of yards 5+ at a time.

The only thing that concerns me, is that this style of runningback resembles Jordan Howard. Not much in the passing game, but a good complimentary back. I think he will be rated high by this staff, and be one of the best players available if he makes it to the 5th round or later. If he falls late enough I could see us grabbing him even if we decide to go with another running back earlier.

I thought Jordan Howard didn't fit Nagy's system. Why then bring in a similar back, especially after signing Mike Davis who, is also more of a short yardage power back.?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
LoL

You mean the same GM that brought in DeShone Kizer multiple times only to trade up above himself for Mitchell Trubisky?

Never underestimate Ryan Pace's talent for outsmarting everyone...including himself.

(i.e. The pick will be a TE)
Pace traded above himself?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I thought Jordan Howard didn't fit Nagy's system. Why then bring in a similar back, especially after signing Mike Davis who, is also more of a short yardage power back.?

Singletary and Howard are nothing a like.

Neither has elite speed is about the only way they compare.

Davis has a decent blend of power and wiggle.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
68 carries, 3.5 yards. Wiggle.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
howards's college stats, he has wiggle here and howard played better competition than singletary

2013UABCUSAFRRB111458816.1248320.811499646.53
2014UABCUSASORB1230615875.2139728.0131516595.314
*2015IndianaBig TenJRRB919612136.29111069.6120713196.410

We were talking about Mike Davis and the NFL level.

Mike Davis averaged 5.3, 5.8, and 4.9 YPC against significantly better competition than Howard if we want to go back to college.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
112 carries, 4.5 yards. Wiggle.
oh, you want to play that game? let me pick Howard's best year, too, then.

252 carries, 1,313 yards. 5.2 yards.

It's a mute point because you'll be on Mike Davis's jock until he fails or leaves the team. Move along, nothing to see here.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

It's a mute point because you'll be on Mike Davis's jock until he fails or leaves the team. Move along, nothing to see here.
The gurus get to caught up in their mock off seasons. They don’t like it when I point it out but it’s true

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

You forgot that if Mike Davis fails, it will be all his fault and have nothing to do with Pace or Nagy. Pace and Nagy have become like God for some people. They get credit or thanked when something succeeds but then if something fails it is someone else's fault or there is a bigger plan you can't see.

Praise be to Pace and Nagy!

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Mike Davis stats 2018

Jordan Howard Stats 2016

What have you done for me lately league.

Not on Mike Davis' jock. He just has more wiggle to his game than Howard.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
You forgot that if Mike Davis fails, it will be all his fault and have nothing to do with Pace or Nagy. Pace and Nagy have become like God for some people. They get credit or thanked when something succeeds but then if something fails it is someone else's fault or there is a bigger plan you can't see.

Praise be to Pace and Nagy!

Yes. God forbid fans of an ascending football team be positive instead of shitting on everything all time! I mean, if anything gets things done in this world, it's complaining on a message board!

Stop derailing threads.