Cubs interested in Scott Hairston?

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
He asked the Mets for a 2 year deal worth 8M, but Jon Heyman says the Cubs have had discussions with the outfielder

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hiis brother recently just said he would not be surprise if he did sign with the Cubs. He has history with Hoyer.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right handed OF that mashes lefty heads to a team with two left handed OFs that desperately need to be platoon. I see a fit.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Mets reportedly "balked" at his request.

Yup, that's why he's still not signed. The Mets seem to be the only serious team in on him. But there's always the "mystery team". But if the Cubs did sign him, Soriano would all be gone. That's why I just don't see a match.

Also, he's expected to sign this week. So ... we shall see.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
Yup, that's why he's still not signed. The Mets seem to be the only serious team in on him. But there's always the "mystery team". But if the Cubs did sign him, Soriano would all be gone. That's why I just don't see a match.

Phillies still remain on the Soriano market. All of their Free agent targets are signing elsewhere.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
BUT, the Cubs could sign him to be a bench platooner with any one of the three outfielders to keep everyone fresh, and get everyone plenty of at bats.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
BUT, the Cubs could sign him to be a bench platooner with any one of the three outfielders to keep everyone fresh, and get everyone plenty of at bats.

That pretty much means that one of Sappelt or Campana stays in Iowa.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Why would they have to move Sori to make a deal with Hairston? The OF only has Schierholtz, DeJesus, and Soriano with major league deals. Sappelt probably makes the team as a backup OF, but the Cubs have two OFs that probably should be platooned.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Campana please.

But again, I still think there is a strong chance Soriano starts the year in another uniform

Wouldn't bet against it. But seriously, there goes the offense :lol:

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Jackson will be up sooner than you think and Callis said Jackson will make the team if he doesn't have a horrible spring training.

I also know what the FO said after the season. That he will start in Iowa. But they won't show their hand.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Cubs were to sign Hairston, Campana would likely be DFA and be on a different team by the end of everything.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
Jackson will be up sooner than you think and Callis said Jackson will make the team if he doesn't have a horrible spring training.

I also know what the FO said after the season. That he will start in Iowa. But they won't show their hand.

Doubt Jackson breaks camp. Likely a midsummer call up after a trade of DeJesus.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Callis is the only person reporting that BJax has to have a horrible spring to lose the job in CF. I could see BJax getting time, but I really doubt it is at the start of the season. That said even if he breaks camp with the club, Hairston and Soriano can still coexist on the same roster with Sappelt staying in Iowa. Really Brett Jackson breaking camp would put a lot more onus on the Cubs to move DeJesus than Soriano imo.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Doubt Jackson breaks camp. Likely a midsummer call up after a trade of DeJesus.

That's the more likely scenario.. but I say June. Unless Soriano is traded and then everything changes.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Schierholtz is on a one-year deal so it's not like he'll be taking up an OF spot forever either. Eventually you'll need someone to replace someone else. It's also not like any of the Cubs OFs is "blocking" anyone important :lol: Have you seen our team? :cubstroll: