Cubs Sign Edwin Jackson

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really? Soooo... Paying Anibal Sanchez $30 million more with an extra season would've been a better value? They both fill the same role -- a #3 starter who walks too many guys, and will never transform into a shutdown starter. He is what he is -- a guy who'll give you innings, throw erratically, occasionally dominate and make his start every fifth day. Unfortunately, if you want to pay for a starter who's proven he can stay healthy and flash some quality, it's going to cost you $10 million or more per season. Is the yearly salary a bit high for my taste? Sure it is. Would I have rather had Sanchez? I guess... but it all goes back to this -- would either guy put the team over the top? No. He's a fixture in the rotation now. The guy had been pitching on one-year deals mainly because he kept getting dealt to teams as a stopgap.

That necessarily isn't a bad thing. Hasn't the AL been the consensus 'better league' for the past 15 years? Wouldn't that suggest that he fared better against superior competition, based on this logic?

None of us consider the Cubs a good team. He'll be our de-facto #3 starter, as we're one of the five worst teams in baseball. Still, I could think of worse options. You know, like anyone we had last season.

100% false. The Cubs have a guy who's proven he can eat innings on a contract that's respectable, all things considered. It's not the ridiculously immovable contract Zambrano had. Nor did we give a guy in his mid-30s a long-term deal. What this move shows, as well as subsequent moves, is that the Cubs are adding players to their roster to fill out glaring weaknesses without hamstringing to make larger, more impactful moves in the future, as their prospects mature and gain experience. The number one goal coming into this new management was to create a sustainable roster. Payroll is going to be well south of $100 million this year. They shown in the past that they're willing to spend money. In due time, that may happen. As of now, I'm perfectly content with filling out the roster and acquring assets. And let's be serious, do you think adding Edwin Jackson is going push people through the gates? Come on, man.....

:rolleyes: HE WAS BAD IN THE NL BEFORE THE SOX TRADE! Which means with "logic" he has a hard time in the NL.

If you and dabs want to support the deal that is fine. Just admit that he is a bad pitcher getting 13 million a year and that it does not help for the now or for the future as he is a 5th starter. Than again its cubs fans so every move is golden.

also note I was 100% against sanchez as well. just an FYI

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is Edwin Jackson an improvement over what the Cubs have right now?

The unfortunate answer is "yes" :lol:

The debate seems to be whether he's truly worth $13MM a year, but just based on the market you'd have to say that his salary is consistent with what's out there.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The unfortunate answer is "yes" :lol:

The debate seems to be whether he's truly worth $13MM a year, but just based on the market you'd have to say that his salary is consistent with what's out there.
The ultimate reason why I was happy, perhaps too strong of a word for it, with the signing is that the Cubs spent money to improve the major league club. I don't know why I should feel bad about that.

Now Dews wants to twist this into something beyond that about being a smart fan or whatever typical Dews stuff, but that is the position I am taking and I am not alone as I've pointed out.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
This is entirely too much discussion for a meh starter.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is Edwin Jackson an improvement over what the Cubs have right now?

does it really matter when they arent going to be ready until 2014/2015. This doesnt do anything except maybe keep them from losing 100 games. why spend the money on a guy for 4 years who has proven to be a 5th starter.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is entirely too much discussion for a meh starter.

I think there are a lot of things to discuss with the signing, and most of it is being missed in the current discussion.

The Cubs have a very interesting situation in terms of starting pitching with Samardzija, Travis Wood (out of options as far as I recall and never been in the bullpen), Garza, Baker, Feldman, Edwin Jackson, and Carlos Villanueva. The Cubs are paying a lot of money to some guys that are going to be middle/long relievers given the logjam that exists.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
does it really matter when they arent going to be ready until 2014/2015. This doesnt do anything except maybe keep them from losing 100 games. why spend the money on a guy for 4 years who has proven to be a 5th starter.
He fills a need the Cubs have that isn't capable of being filled internally in the next several seasons, which includes the window you stated as for when they are ready. There is value in a guy that can take the ball every fifth day and the Cubs don't have guys that can do that. The options next year look even worse than this year's market in terms of pitching.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

He doesn't have a no-trade clause, and some team always seems to want him. The contract is manageable and he's a solid enough pitcher. It doesn't have to be about contention all the time, sometimes a guy is just a means to an end. I'm not jumping for joy about it, but I'm just going to assume there was a method to the madness and it's not like they just re-signed Carlos Silva to a similar contract.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
The pitching staff on the whole is much more interesting that the individual components. I think they're bracing for what they think is Garza regression and eventually trading Samardzija (apologies if that was already said, I skimmed).

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think there are a lot of things to discuss with the signing, and most of it is being missed in the current discussion.

The Cubs have a very interesting situation in terms of starting pitching with Samardzija, Travis Wood (out of options as far as I recall and never been in the bullpen), Garza, Baker, Feldman, Edwin Jackson, and Carlos Villanueva. The Cubs are paying a lot of money to some guys that are going to be middle/long relievers given the logjam that exists.

I also posited the question of who's gonna get bounced off the 40-man roster in the sticky thread if anyone wants to take a crack at it :D

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I saw this today ... the Cubs are gunna pay Jackson, Vilanueba, Feldman and Baker 73.5 million. Sanchez got 80 million.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The pitching staff on the whole is much more interesting that the individual components. I think they're bracing for what they think is Garza regression and eventually trading Samardzija (apologies if that was already said, I skimmed).
I think the cost control of Samardzija makes it unlikely they trade him, but perhaps that would lead to a team offering something you can't refuse. More than a few have speculated that this means Garza is going to be dealt, but given the fact that they have held out for top dollar for so long on him I see extension as most likely.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I also posited the question of who's gonna get bounced off the 40-man roster in the sticky thread if anyone wants to take a crack at it :D
With all the arms you would think that Rusin or Raley is going to have to get pushed off the roster though the Cubs are super short on left handers. Campana or Clevenger would be the next likeliest candidates you would think.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The contract is also mitigated by inflation and the rising cost of a win. $13MM a year is more money than we'll ever see in our lifetimes, but in baseball terms this year it's about reasonable for what Edwin Jackson is. I think they'll live.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Chicago Cubs have reportedly ink starting pitcher Edwin Jackson to a 4-year contract worth 52 million. The deal does not include a no-trade cause, which isn't news. The Cubs have signed (so far) 4 starting pitchers and 2 relief pitchers. They're wiping the free agent class for starting pitchers, but should be done now.
The Jackson news broke more heavily a few days ago when the Cubs and Texas Rangers were reportedly the final suitors for Jackson. News gain more steam after the Cubs were said to have a deal in place for Carlos Villanueva. That was brought to us by David Kaplan, of whom has been on his game this off-season.

Jackson is 29-years old and the Cubs will be his 8th team that he would have played for. He was technically on 9 teams, but never played for them. He was traded 2 times in the off-season and nevered played for the Toronto Blue Jays.

Jackson has great potential, but has been pretty inconsistent in his career. Just in 2012, Jackson was 10-11 with a 4.03 earn run average in 189.2 innings. His walk to K ratio is good, but not great. Jackson walked 58 and struck out 168. He can get wild at times and let's hope we don't see a lot of that from him.

I think the Cubs may have overpaid for him, but I think Jackson will be a big boost to the team. As of right now, he's looking like the 3rd starter. Counting on Garza and Baker will be healthy. I see the starting rotation like this ... Matt Garza, Jeff Samardzija, Edwin Jackson, Scott Feldman and Scott Baker. I think Travis Wood will be the left-handed long relief pitcher out of the bullpen. I think if he has to stay in the bullpen for most of his career - he can be very effective and be like Sean Marshall. Also, I expect Carlos Villanueva to pitch out of the 'pen as the right-handed long relief pitcher and a spot starter.

With the Cubs signing 4 starting pitchers mentioned above, they have also re-signed RP Shawn Camp and signed RP Kyuji Fujikawa.

The Cubs have said they want to build as much pitching depth as they can and they have done so. The Cubs are reportedly still looking into signing another RP.

Side note: The Cubs announced the signing of Carlos Villanueva. He was signed to a 2-year contract worth 10 million. Just like Jackson, the deal is pending a physical.

As of right now, the Cubs 40-man roster currently stands at 40 players. The Cubs are going to have to clear 3 spots for OF Nate Schierholtz, SP Edwin Jackson and P Carlos Villanueva. I don't know what the Cubs will do and any player the Cubs DFA will be claimed. That's what I think, at least. In my own opinion, I think a trade could be on the horizon.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2012/12/20/chicago-cubs-sign-edwin-jackson/

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
He's an upgrade to the rotation, plain and simple. Slightly below average ERA+ last year and for career (both 98), but could always be bumped down in the years to come. The money seems high, of course. But it is due to more than just the thin market... player's have been getting more money ever since the new CBA was signed. Five years down the line, I bet this will look pretty typical for a player like him that you won't think twice about.

That said, since Dewey is asking about "is there ever a move the Cubs make you disagree with" to someone, thought I'd answer mine here.

Under Current Regime:
11/30/11: Signed OF David DeJesus - Not a bad move at all
12/8/11: Traded OF Tyler Colvin and 3B D.J. LeMahieu to Colorado for 3B Ian Stewart and RHP Casey Weathers - Hated it then, hate it now.
Traded
12/12/11: Signed RF Joe Mather - Meh, not bad.
12/23/11: Traded LHP Sean Marshall to Cincinnati for LHP Travis Wood, OF Dave Sappelt, 2B Ronald Torreyes - Marshall wouldn't help us win now, and it seems like a pretty good haul for a reliever. A below average but not terrible starter, a bench bat, and a 2B prospect some are high on (I don't expect much). I'd probably make it again as a non-competitive team.
12/26/11: Signed RHP Manuel Corpas - Meh
12/26/11: Signed RHP Andy Sonnanstine - Did he even play?
1/3/12: Signed LF Reed Johnson - He and Maholm netter us Vizcaino, serviceable bench player too, can't complain at all.
1/5/12: Traded RHP Carlos Zambrano to Miami for RHP Chris Volstad - Both sucked, Zambrano was the better of the two bads, I'd say we lost it.
1/6/12: Traded RHP Andrew Cashner and OF Kyung-Min Na to San Diego for 1B Anthony Rizzo and RHP Zach Cates - Decisive win.
1/8/12: Signed LHP Ryan Rowland-Smith - Don't even remember this haha.
1/9/12: Signed RHP Rodrigo Lopez - Meh.
1/10/12: Signed LHP Paul Maholm - Solid starter and - with Johnson - netted us Vizcaino, pretty good pickup.
1/13/12: Signed RHP Kerry Wood - Well it sounded good at the time haha.
1/13/12: Signed 3B Alfredo Amezaga - Whatever.
2/18/12: Signed LHP Nate Robertson - Lol, never played IIRC.
2/21/12: Traded RHP Chris Carpenter and RHP Aaron Kurcz to Boston for GM Theo Epstein and 1B Jair Bogaerts - Not bad, getting Epstein was the right move and Carpenter was a bit much more than typically given out for GM's, but doubt he'll come back to haunt us.
3/11/12: Signed RHP Gerardo Concepcion - Intrigues me at the time due to talk of such a low ceiling, battle pneumonia, may recover, may not. Meh.
4/21/12: Traded OF Marlon Byrd to Boston for RHP Michael Bowden and LHP Hunter Cervenka - I'd do it over again, Byrd sucks and Bowden was pretty effective, and then Byrd got suspended, safe to say we won.
6/30/12: Signed OF Jorge Soler - Great move.
7/30/12: Traded C Geovany Soto to Texas for RHP Jacob Brigham and PTBNL - Can't complain, not a bad haul for a mediocre catcher we didn't need
7/30/12: Traded OF Reed Johnson and LHP Paul Maholm to Atlanta for RHP Arodys Vizcaino and RHP Jaye Chapman - was way better than what I was expecting for Maholm, may not have pitched in a year but still has good potential.
7/31/12: Traded RHP Ryan Dempster to Texas for 3B Christian Villanueva and RHP Kyle Hendricks - decent, Villanueva should be an average starter at 3rd, but his defense is where most of his value is. Better than not getting anything from Dempster saga.
8/5/12: Traded 1B/RF Jeff Baker to Detroit for RHP Marcelo Carreno - Decent prospect for a bench player (Baseball America listed Baker's position weird, was always more of a 2B), nothing to get worked up about, but we got over market value for him.
11/13/12: Signed RHP Scott Baker - Not a bad signing, could be rewarding.
11/16/12: Signed C Dioner Navarro - Backup catcher, decent one at that, can tutor Castillo, can't complain, but nothing major.
11/19/12: Signed RHP Shawn Camp (missed his during ST in this earlier BTW) - Serviceable.
11/20/12: Traded RHP Jake Brigham to Texas for RHP Barret Loux - Loux used to be good, not meh, I'd still call it an improvement.
11/21/12: Released 1B/OF Bryan LaHair - best move of off-season. :troll:
11/27/12: Signed RHP Scott Feldman - Not major, but nothing to complain about.
12/7/12: Signed RHP Kyuji Fujikawa - I like it anyway, well worth the risk, though he could flop going from NPB to MLB.
12/12/12: Signed 3B Ian Stewart - Could've been worst, still worst starting 3B in MLB.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's an upgrade to the rotation, plain and simple. Slightly below average ERA+ last year and for career (both 98), but could always be bumped down in the years to come. The money seems high, of course. But it is due to more than just the thin market... player's have been getting more money ever since the new CBA was signed. Five years down the line, I bet this will look pretty typical for a player like him that you won't think twice about.

That said, since Dewey is asking about "is there ever a move the Cubs make you disagree with" to someone, thought I'd answer mine here.

Under Current Regime:
11/30/11: Signed OF David DeJesus - Not a bad move at all
12/8/11: Traded OF Tyler Colvin and 3B D.J. LeMahieu to Colorado for 3B Ian Stewart and RHP Casey Weathers - Hated it then, hate it now.
Traded
12/12/11: Signed RF Joe Mather - Meh, not bad.
12/23/11: Traded LHP Sean Marshall to Cincinnati for LHP Travis Wood, OF Dave Sappelt, 2B Ronald Torreyes - Marshall wouldn't help us win now, and it seems like a pretty good haul for a reliever. A below average but not terrible starter, a bench bat, and a 2B prospect some are high on (I don't expect much). I'd probably make it again as a non-competitive team.
12/26/11: Signed RHP Manuel Corpas - Meh
12/26/11: Signed RHP Andy Sonnanstine - Did he even play?
1/3/12: Signed LF Reed Johnson - He and Maholm netter us Vizcaino, serviceable bench player too, can't complain at all.
1/5/12: Traded RHP Carlos Zambrano to Miami for RHP Chris Volstad - Both sucked, Zambrano was the better of the two bads, I'd say we lost it.
1/6/12: Traded RHP Andrew Cashner and OF Kyung-Min Na to San Diego for 1B Anthony Rizzo and RHP Zach Cates - Decisive win.
1/8/12: Signed LHP Ryan Rowland-Smith - Don't even remember this haha.
1/9/12: Signed RHP Rodrigo Lopez - Meh.
1/10/12: Signed LHP Paul Maholm - Solid starter and - with Johnson - netted us Vizcaino, pretty good pickup.
1/13/12: Signed RHP Kerry Wood - Well it sounded good at the time haha.
1/13/12: Signed 3B Alfredo Amezaga - Whatever.
2/18/12: Signed LHP Nate Robertson - Lol, never played IIRC.
2/21/12: Traded RHP Chris Carpenter and RHP Aaron Kurcz to Boston for GM Theo Epstein and 1B Jair Bogaerts - Not bad, getting Epstein was the right move and Carpenter was a bit much more than typically given out for GM's, but doubt he'll come back to haunt us.
3/11/12: Signed RHP Gerardo Concepcion - Intrigues me at the time due to talk of such a low ceiling, battle pneumonia, may recover, may not. Meh.
4/21/12: Traded OF Marlon Byrd to Boston for RHP Michael Bowden and LHP Hunter Cervenka - I'd do it over again, Byrd sucks and Bowden was pretty effective, and then Byrd got suspended, safe to say we won.
6/30/12: Signed OF Jorge Soler - Great move.
7/30/12: Traded C Geovany Soto to Texas for RHP Jacob Brigham and PTBNL - Can't complain, not a bad haul for a mediocre catcher we didn't need
7/30/12: Traded OF Reed Johnson and LHP Paul Maholm to Atlanta for RHP Arodys Vizcaino and RHP Jaye Chapman - was way better than what I was expecting for Maholm, may not have pitched in a year but still has good potential.
7/31/12: Traded RHP Ryan Dempster to Texas for 3B Christian Villanueva and RHP Kyle Hendricks - decent, Villanueva should be an average starter at 3rd, but his defense is where most of his value is. Better than not getting anything from Dempster saga.
8/5/12: Traded 1B/RF Jeff Baker to Detroit for RHP Marcelo Carreno - Decent prospect for a bench player (Baseball America listed Baker's position weird, was always more of a 2B), nothing to get worked up about, but we got over market value for him.
11/13/12: Signed RHP Scott Baker - Not a bad signing, could be rewarding.
11/16/12: Signed C Dioner Navarro - Backup catcher, decent one at that, can tutor Castillo, can't complain, but nothing major.
11/19/12: Signed RHP Shawn Camp (missed his during ST in this earlier BTW) - Serviceable.
11/20/12: Traded RHP Jake Brigham to Texas for RHP Barret Loux - Loux used to be good, not meh, I'd still call it an improvement.
11/21/12: Released 1B/OF Bryan LaHair - best move of off-season. :troll:
11/27/12: Signed RHP Scott Feldman - Not major, but nothing to complain about.
12/7/12: Signed RHP Kyuji Fujikawa - I like it anyway, well worth the risk, though he could flop going from NPB to MLB.
12/12/12: Signed 3B Ian Stewart - Could've been worst, still worst starting 3B in MLB.

brent morel would challenge that. :)