Dan Hampton takes shot at John Fox

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
Fox was good for the Bears, because they needed somebody willing to wade through the complete and utter destruction of the toxic-filled and talent-depleted roster, and the rebuild from the ground up. Fox was what Rick Renteria was for the Cubs (and really what he is for the White Sox now).

They needed somebody who could provide a rock for which Nagy and Pace to build their church. Helped laid down the basic foundation, Nagy took the roster to the next level into a competitive squad.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
so did anybody go? heard it was pretty bad for the lines and getting autographs. I wanted to go but i drank too much.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
My problem with Fox was he had a crew of 4-3 players, could not turn over the entire roster, and instead of coming up with something special, like the 46, he put square pegs in round holes and forced them to learn during the season. A great coach would have come up with a new plan to put players in the position to succeed.

I thought the way the defense was consistently competitive under Fox was the only 'building block' from three years of futility. He didn't have the athletes to run the 46.

I think the most damning aspect of Fox's tenure was that his eventual OC was worse than anything Lovie Smith came up with. Fox's ability to assemble a top-notch coaching staff was his main selling point, and the Bears ended up with Dowell Loggains. If Fox/the Bears could have pried Nagy away from KC in 2016 by promoting him to OC, then I would guess the Bears would have been much improved by 2018 with the addition of Mack. I don't really hold 3 straight last-place finishes against Fox...the roster Pace 'assembled' was horrendous year after year. But the fact that Fox was treading water on the offensive side made change inevitable.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t think Fox was the right guy for the job-period. His hiring was a waste of time and that has been corrected. I have moved on.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I don’t think Fox was the right guy for the job-period. His hiring was a waste of time and that has been corrected. I have moved on.

Who was the right guy? The Bears sorely needed Fox's professionalism. And who else would have even taken the job? I don't view it as a 'bad hire', it just didn't work out.

Good to know that you've moved on, since you seem to always be angry about other things.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It all worked out in the end so the Fox hire was fine. I suspect Pace would have went elsewhere on his own but it may have been to his detriment. Nagy wouldn't be here and we may have been dwelling in mediocrity instead of going from worst to 1st.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I can appreciate you not liking some of his "game coaching decisions"......duly noted.

Walking in the door, Fox had a good "resume", so I was good with (the hire, as well as).....his previous accomplishments as a HC.

However, with Carolina and Denver he had a decent to very good Qb's ( i.e. Delhomme & Manning).

Here's "food for thought".......with a good Qb, you afford to make
some "horrible in game coaching decisions" and get away with it.
---

Note: Trestman never had a Qb either. And no, lol, this is not to say I'm a Trestman fan.

And Trestman had a very good offense year one without a good QB

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
TBF fair to Fox, it is very hard to win NFL games with Jay Cutler, Jimmy Clausen, Brian Hoyer, Matt Barkley, Mike Glennon and Mitch Trubisky as your QB, especially in today’s game.

Last edited:

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Who is Jimmy Classen?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
John Fox was the most accomplished coach during the Bears HC vacancy. After his hiring, John Fox was able to hire Adam Gase and Vic Fangio as his coordinators...also two of the most accomplished coordinators during the coaching vacancy.

Tell me again how this was a bad hire???

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
i had no problem with Fox being brought in. It was certainly a better choice than Trestman and it was a name that had some proven track record behind it.

Fox would have been a bad choice to have as head coach with a young QB and a team trying to move forward and modernize an offense.

Last edited:

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think one could rationalize at the time, I knew I did, that Fox's experience would be and advantage, that he would be good for the team. But I don' t know what losing seasons do for the franchise and, ultimately, that is what he produced.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
okay, that was fun. wheel along, now.