Debunking Meatball Myths: "The Bears are a Cold Weather Team"

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You seem upset at my Saturday brunch buffet adventure. I'm sorry your local 7/11 is only serving twisters and jumbo dogs this morning.
There isnt a 7/11 out there

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You play the Saints at Soldier Field on a cold night versus the Saints at Mercedez-Benz Superdome and I'm going to feel differently about one versus the other, confidence-wise.

Well sure, home field advantage is real. You should start a thread about it.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Because we have had long stretches of being a talentless pack of bums.

I would like to see the stats when the talent matches up to the competition and what the outcomes are
Agreed this data is completely useless when not put into context. The cold weather isn’t going to suddenly turn a bunch of sorry ass players into SB contenders, but in a game of evenly matched teams or when the Bears are playing a team a little better than them the cold could give an advantage to the Bears if they’re not used to the cold. I will point to the rams as a perfect advantage of it.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Agreed this data is completely useless when not put into context. The cold weather isn’t going to suddenly turn a bunch of sorry ass players into SB contenders, but in a game of evenly matched teams or when the Bears are playing a team a little better than them the cold could give an advantage to the Bears if they’re not used to the cold. I will point to the rams as a perfect advantage of it.
Are you saying that good teams beat bad teams?

Interesting take.

Did you miss the post where I posted the bears have a better record in the same time frame in >40° games?

View attachment 1985

The bears have actually performed BETTER in games that are 41 degrees or more (50.3% win %) than games 40 degrees or below.

The Bears are literally not a cold weather team.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Are you saying that good teams beat bad teams?

Interesting take.

Did you miss the post where I posted the bears have a better record in the same time frame in >40° games?
What’s their win % in games less than 41°?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
this data is misleading, it doesn't quantify the quality of the teams playing in the cold.
What was the Bears record over same period i warm games vs steelers record in warm games?
It is extremely misleading.

The recent Bears (since 1989) have had 17 losing seasons and 2 8-8 seasons.

The Pittsburgh Steelers (since 1970) have had 9 losing seasons and 5 8-8 seasons.

That means that since 1989, the Bears have had a winning season 36.67% of the time while the Steelers have had a winning season 71.4% of the time.

Notice how the winning seasons percentages and cold weather winning percentage are in the ballpark (though not expected to be accurate) for both teams?

If my math is right, they have won 209 games out of 480 since 1989 for a 43.5%. This just shows that they have been a poor team since 1989 and that is in cold weather, warm weather, hot weather, rainy weather, snowy weather and foggy weather.

It still does not show that the Bears are not a cold weather team (they might not be). Perhaps, they play teams much better in the cold, but because they are a poor team, they still end up losing.

Quickly looking at recent year December home games, there are trends to be seen.
2018 - beat Packers and Rams (Rams were a playoff team)
2017 - end of the end classic Fox. Lost to 49ers in a low scoring contest and destroyed the winless Browns
2016 - middle of the end classic Fox. Lost to Packers and Washington. Then again, they lost to almost everybody.
2015 - beginning of the end classic Fox. Lost to lions and Washington
2014 - 'Building the man' wheels feel off. Lost to Lions, Saints and Cowboys
2013 - 'Building the man' begins. Beat cowboys and lost to Packers.
2012 - Lovie's last stand. Lost to Packers and Seattle (while beating Vikings, Cards and Lions away. Must be nice to have easy teams away)
2011 - Lost to KC and Seattle and also lost away games to Oakland (when they were actually good, I believe), Denver and Packers
2010 - Beat Lions and Jets and lost to Patriots (who were obviously better than the Bears). Won Seattle and lost to Packers in playoffs.

The 2010 - 2012 seasons show why Lovie had to go. He never quite had an offense and his defense was getting old.
2013-2014 was what happens when a geek chooses the new coach because he is very similar to him. That shit got old quickly and there was a mutiny the 2nd year.
2015 - 2017 Fox. Nothing else needs to be said.
2018 Nagy looked really good his first year. He did not tinker with a growing and successful defense and gave Chicago a glimpse of a real offense. If the offense can take another step and the defense hold steady, those cold weather myths will become cold weather reality because the Bears will beat teams in cold weather, warm weather and any other weather they might come across.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
A home game is a home game and with that comes some sort of advantage. I think Vegas gives is a few points when considering game. The temp? Who knows. I would say under 40 is cold others may say freezing. Regardless the Bear weather myth things are different from the genesis of this myth.

Heated benches, technical fabrics, better training, conditioning and stretching all make a difference. I liken this to the age old “Bear hangover”. “The Bears lost but boy is the other team beat up” meathead mentality.
75 degrees around here would be a cold spell.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Fun fact: there's only 4 teams that have played 6 or more games in 10 degree or below weather since 1970. Anyone wanna take a guess which 4? We already know Bears are 1.
current NFC central teams? Just a guess

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

The Pittsburgh Steelers (since 1970) have had 9 losing seasons and 5 8-8 seasons.

That means that since 1989, the Bears have had a winning season 36.67% of the time while the Steelers have had a winning season 71.4% of the time.

Notice how the winning seasons percentages and cold weather winning percentage are in the ballpark (though not expected to be accurate) for both teams?

If my math is right, they have won 209 games out of 480 since 1989 for a 43.5%. This just shows that they have been a poor team since 1989 and that is in cold weather, warm weather, hot weather, rainy weather, snowy weather and foggy weather.

It still does not show that the Bears are not a cold weather team (they might not be). Perhaps, they play teams much better in the cold, but because they are a poor team, they still end up losing.

Quickly looking at recent year December home games, there are trends to be seen.
2017 - end of the end classic Fox. Lost to 49ers in a low scoring contest and destroyed the winless Browns
2016 - middle of the end classic Fox. Lost to Packers and Washington. Then again, they lost to almost everybody.
2012 - Lovie's last stand. Lost to Packers and Seattle (while beating Vikings, Cards and Lions away. Must be nice to have easy teams away)
2011 - Lost to KC and Seattle and also lost away games to Oakland (when they were actually good, I believe), Denver and Packers
2010 - Beat Lions and Jets and lost to Patriots (who were obviously better than the Bears). Won Seattle and lost to Packers in playoffs.

The 2010 - 2012 seasons show why Lovie had to go. He never quite had an offense and his defense was getting old.
2013-2014 was what happens when a geek chooses the new coach because he is very similar to him. That shit got old quickly and there was a mutiny the 2nd year.
2018 Nagy looked really good his first year. He did not tinker with a growing and successful defense and gave Chicago a glimpse of a real offense. If the offense can take another step and the defense hold steady, those cold weather myths will become cold weather reality because the Bears will beat teams in cold weather, warm weather and any other weather they might come across.
2015 loss to Washington was a almost 70 degree game...in December

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
The more in depth this thread goes into these statistics the more bull shit they become.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Furthermore,

Lovie consistently fielded teams not built for Soldier field and not built for the attrition of the NFL, as they were the smallest(lightest) teams in the league. This led to hot starts, inevitable injury pile up, and poor finishes down the stretch in....

you guessed it...the cold. Despite Anthony Adams best efforts, and the intimidation of Brian Urlachers bare arms.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Why did you choose "the recent Bears" as being post 1989?

How do you explain the Bears having a better win% in games that are 41 degrees or more vs games that are 40 degrees or less in the time frame posed in the OP?

Interesting you bring up 1989+... here's how they fared in <=40 degree outdoor games:

And in >=41 degree (and indoor) games:

Again the bears performed better outside of cold weather.

The timeline thing in your post really didn't have any relevancy to the premise of this thread, as being bad doesn't equate to losing at a higher clip in colder weather vs warmer weather, but I agree with basically the entire timeline for whatever it's worth.