Dexter Fowler Clears Revocable Waivers

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I just don't see the logic to be frank. If you're never intending to trade someone why do it? What benefit is there?

If someone wants to make you an offer you listen. It doesn't hurt anything and if something were to happen they could use Bryant, Baez or even Castro out in CF if they had to. They might get surprised and some minor league player that's on their big board gets offered. I don't think anything like that is likely, in fact I think very unlikely, but it's all part of due diligence.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If someone wants to make you an offer you listen. It doesn't hurt anything and if something were to happen they could use Bryant, Baez or even Castro out in CF if they had to. They might get surprised and some minor league player that's on their big board gets offered. I don't think anything like that is likely, in fact I think very unlikely, but it's all part of due diligence.

I mean I guess but just seems counter intuitive.

willycat

Liked Posts:
Anyone think that Castro has been put on waivers? Cleared?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
That's surprising.

Sort of what I mean about Fowler. The article mention castro hasn't been put on waivers FWIW. If you're not going to throw Castro on waivers then why throw Fowler? I mean I suppose he's a FA and all that after the season but unless someone literally went nuts with an offer that would never actually happen would they trade him?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Sort of what I mean about Fowler. The article mention castro hasn't been put on waivers FWIW. If you're not going to throw Castro on waivers then why throw Fowler? I mean I suppose he's a FA and all that after the season but unless someone literally went nuts with an offer that would never actually happen would they trade him?

John Arguello over at Cubs Den had this possible explanation and it makes some sense:

The very fact that the Cubs put Fowler on revocable waivers seems to imply the Cubs don't really intend to trade him. Veterans are routinely placed on waivers and many times there is no discussion of trading him at all. What the Cubs may have been trying to do is gauge the interest in Fowler around the league -- something that is important since the Cubs have a decision to make on their CFer and leadoff man. The Cubs don't have any obvious replacements that will be ready for next season. And with such few players available who can bat leadoff, play CF, and hit lefty available, they tend to get expensive on the market, so while players like Denard Span and Michael Brantley may provide upgrades, obtaining them won't be easy. Brantley is still under contract with Cleveland and Span is heading into free agency coming off a strong season, perhaps the best offensive season of his career. There may be significant competition for his services.

http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/...e-deal-fowler-clears-waivers-and-other-notes/

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Seems pretty plausible especially if you're deciding on making a QO

If you retain him you offer him a multi year deal. He would be worth a 2 and a option. Around 25 mil combined. I have little faith in Almora and Alcantara panning out as major league starters. Happ has a 50/50 CF or 2B. Both areas could use his talent. (doesn't mean squat though)

At this point you think on extending him or dealing for Jackie Bradley Jr. I would trade Baez for him. Work a deal that helps both teams in the long run. Maybe get some young arms and sent out Baez and Almora. Maybe Olt or Vogelchunk etc.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
If you retain him you offer him a multi year deal. He would be worth a 2 and a option. Around 25 mil combined. I have little faith in Almora and Alcantara panning out as major league starters. Happ has a 50/50 CF or 2B. Both areas could use his talent. (doesn't mean squat though)

At this point you think on extending him or dealing for Jackie Bradley Jr. I would trade Baez for him. Work a deal that helps both teams in the long run. Maybe get some young arms and sent out Baez and Almora. Maybe Olt or Vogelchunk etc.

I agree that they're going to have to sign a CF as a bridge player. There are basically three FA choices Fowler, Gerardo Parra and Denard Span. Span might be the best of the three when healthy but he's also the oldest. Fowler is as good a choice as any but word is both he and Parra are going to get around 4/$40 mil so I'm not sure your numbers for an extension will work unless Fowler really wants to be a part of things here. I have more faith in Almora than you do but the earliest he's here is 2017 and probably not early that year. He's seemed to figure things out lately but he needs a year at AAA. I do like Jackie Bradley Jr. but I wouldn't trade Baez for him. If they move Baez I'd like to see it be for pitching.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs have a lot to figure out. Baez can not be held down any longer after this year. He has dropped his k rate under 25% with a respectable walk rate. They are going to have find out what he is made of at some point. I don't think they are going to trade him just to trade him. The Cubs could go a million different ways.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs have a lot to figure out. Baez can not be held down any longer after this year. He has dropped his k rate under 25% with a respectable walk rate. They are going to have find out what he is made of at some point. I don't think they are going to trade him just to trade him. The Cubs could go a million different ways.

I agree. There are only five starting position players that I'm sure will be here next year, Schwarber, Bryant, Russell, Rizzo and Montero. 2B, RF and CF to me are question marks. I think they need better contact hitters and if Baez is the answer at 2B I think Soler could be traded. Like you say thought there are a lot of ways they could go here.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I agree that they're going to have to sign a CF as a bridge player. There are basically three FA choices Fowler, Gerardo Parra and Denard Span. Span might be the best of the three when healthy but he's also the oldest. Fowler is as good a choice as any but word is both he and Parra are going to get around 4/$40 mil so I'm not sure your numbers for an extension will work unless Fowler really wants to be a part of things here. I have more faith in Almora than you do but the earliest he's here is 2017 and probably not early that year. He's seemed to figure things out lately but he needs a year at AAA. I do like Jackie Bradley Jr. but I wouldn't trade Baez for him. If they move Baez I'd like to see it be for pitching.

No you do a package deal. Baez centered on the Cubs side. Bradley and pitching on the Sox side.

Brian Johnson | Rank: 4 (Preseason: 7)
Team: Status: Disabled 7-Day ETA: 2015
Position: LHP Age: 24 DOB: 12/07/1990
Bats: L Throws: L Height: 6' 4" Weight: 235 lb.
Drafted: 2012, 1st (31) - BOS
VIDEO
Other Lists: Top 100 Prospects (#44), Top 10 LHP Prospects (#4)
Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 60 | Cutter: 50 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 55 | Overall: 55
A two-way star at Florida, Johnson hit 15 homers and won 22 games while helping the Gators appear in three consecutive College World Series from 2010-12. After he signed for $1,575,000 as the 31st overall pick in the 2012 Draft, his pro debut lasted just six innings before a line drive broke bones in his face during the annual Futures at Fenway showcase. He has made rapid progress since, leading the Double-A Eastern League with a 1.75 ERA in 2014 and reaching the big leagues by the following July.

Johnson has an 88-94 mph fastball that plays up because it sinks and tails and he can locate it on both sides of the point. The consensus is that his best pitch is his sharp curveball, though some scouts prefer his sinking changeup. He also uses an effective cutter to give batters a different look.

Johnson has exceptional feel for pitching and is consistent from start to start. His biggest need at this point is to get a little stronger so he can maintain low-90s velocity throughout a full season. He has the ceiling of an efficient No. 3 starter.

Henry Owens | Rank: 5 (Preseason: 3)
Team: Boston Red Sox ETA: 2015
Position: LHP Age: 23 DOB: 07/21/1992
Bats: L Throws: L Height: 6' 6" Weight: 220 lb.
Drafted: 2011, 1st Sup (36) - BOS
VIDEO
Other Lists: Top 100 Prospects (#45), Top 10 LHP Prospects (#5)
Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 65 | Control: 50 | Overall: 55
Part of a banner Red Sox 2011 Draft class that also includes Matt Barnes, Blake Swihart, Jackie Bradley Jr. and Mookie Betts, Owens signed for $1.55 million as the 36th overall pick. His ability to get swings and misses with multiple pitches has led to immediate and sustained success in pro ball. He led the Minor Leagues with 17 wins and ranked fourth with 170 strikeouts in 2014, during which he also threw a rain-shortened no-hitter, started the Sirius XM All-Star Futures Game and reached Triple-A shortly after turning 22.

Owens' best pitch is his changeup, which is also one of the best in the Minors. He often works with average velocity on his fastball, which ranges from 88-94 mph, but it plays better than that because he can sink it and cut it, and hitters have trouble picking it up because of his delivery. His long, lanky frame allows him to deliver pitches with deceptive plane and angle.

While his curveball ranks behind his fastball and changeup, Owens focused on developing it in 2014. He opened the Futures Game with his curve, which shows signs of becoming a solid third pitch. After making strides with his control last season, he battled it more in 2015, though he continued to be as difficult to hit as ever.

Trey Ball | Rank: 13 (Preseason: 12)
Team: Salem Red Sox (A Adv) ETA: 2017
Position: LHP Age: 21 DOB: 06/27/1994
Bats: L Throws: L Height: 6' 6" Weight: 185 lb.
Drafted: 2013, 1st (7) - BOS
VIDEO

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 50 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 45 | Overall: 50
The top two-way player in the 2013 Draft, Ball had the athleticism and left-handed power potential to be a first-round pick as an outfielder. But it became apparent as the spring went on that he was also the best left-handed pitcher available, and he gave up hitting after going seventh overall and signing for $2.75 million.

Ball went 1-7, 7.27 in his first 11 starts in low Class A last year, but the struggles helped make him a better pitcher and he finished with a 2.70 in his last 11 outings. His promising curveball was inconsistent for much of the first half, which forced him to rely more on his changeup, and by the end of the season both were solid pitches. He pitched with a 90-94 mph fastball for much of the year, and his projectable frame bodes well for more velocity in the future.

Thanks to his athleticism, Ball has better body control than most young pitchers with big frames. He's learning to repeat his delivery and could develop solid command. He'll need time to develop but has the upside of a No. 2 or 3 starter.

Guys I'm thinking about. LH starters with some project ability.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I would keep Castro at 2B. If they can pull a trade for Bradley JR for Baez. Say Bradley Jr and Johnson (DL and the most likely of the 3 they give up) for Baez and Vogelbach (gives a future replacement for Papi) Cubs then net a cheap CF and a potential SP next year with some upside. Bo-Sox are too deep in the OF as it is. Baez should net some playing time in the IF.

This way Happ can get a full year in before they start to think of using him. Also it gives Castro to build up trade value again. Bradley Jr is equal to Almora on D at the least. Could end up as a platoon in CF with Almora as you are losing nothing on the D side with either.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Castro is a distraction. I think he's got good baseball ahead of him, I just don't think it should be here anymore. I'd like to see Baez win and keep 2B.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Castro is a distraction. I think he's got good baseball ahead of him, I just don't think it should be here anymore. I'd like to see Baez win and keep 2B.

It would come down to selling high. Baez's perceived value is higher than Castro's current value.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It would come down to selling high. Baez's perceived value is higher than Castro's current value.

I agree with that. I think their going to trade Castro and eat some money. I also think someone is going to get a pretty good ballplayer on the cheap.