Do the cubs lack a true ace?

choyne35

Liked Posts:
Their isnt a scherzer, degrom, Kershaw, verlander, sale, ryu in the cubs rotation. Now some of you say Lester is but he isn’t consistent or dominant anymore, in fact I would say that Hamels since he’s been a cub has been the closest thing to consistent/dominant. The guys mentioned above don’t get lit up a handful of games a
Year like Lester does, they might get hit hard and give up several runs once or twice but it seems like Lester has about 5-6 bad outings a year. Don’t get me wrong I like the depth of our rotation when it’s healthy but I don’t like not having a dominant ace that misses bats and will take the mound on short rest in the playoffs, something I’ve heard in the past that Lester won’t do. Right now if the cubs are fortunate enough to make a playoff series I want to see hamels start game 1 with Hendricks in game 2 and Lester in 3

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Their isnt a scherzer, degrom, Kershaw, verlander, sale, ryu in the cubs rotation. Now some of you say Lester is but he isn’t consistent or dominant anymore, in fact I would say that Hamels since he’s been a cub has been the closest thing to consistent/dominant. The guys mentioned above don’t get lit up a handful of games a
Year like Lester does, they might get hit hard and give up several runs once or twice but it seems like Lester has about 5-6 bad outings a year. Don’t get me wrong I like the depth of our rotation when it’s healthy but I don’t like not having a dominant ace that misses bats and will take the mound on short rest in the playoffs, something I’ve heard in the past that Lester won’t do. Right now if the cubs are fortunate enough to make a playoff series I want to see hamels start game 1 with Hendricks in game 2 and Lester in 3

No on the true ace.

They need the starters that they have to perform again.

I don't concider Lester the ace. He is a #3-4 quality starter at this point. He is more dependant on his comand of his cutter. That has degraded which is what you are seeing lately.

Hamels has been the stopper. Alzolay has that feel also.

I wasn't joking when I said trade Q and give Cole a short extension. Cole is more driven to win.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Oh boy. Some snowflakes are gonna melt with this thread.

choyne35

Liked Posts:
No on the true ace.

They need the starters that they have to perform again.

I don't concider Lester the ace. He is a #3-4 quality starter at this point. He is more dependant on his comand of his cutter. That has degraded which is what you are seeing lately.

Hamels has been the stopper. Alzolay has that feel also.

I wasn't joking when I said trade Q and give Cole a short extension. Cole is more driven to win.
2 years extension? Or just a 2020 one year deal?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
2 years extension? Or just a 2020 one year deal?

Well I was looking at the larger pix right now.

I normally look at pitchers as junk with a 5.00 or higher ERA. but then there is Strop with a 1.09 WHIP. And most of the damage has come in injury and the opertunity to gain innings to repair his ERA is lessened.

As far as your question I wouldn't do anything mid season. They are already down 1 guy. There is no need to get stupid. But this off-season. Ya I would trade Q and offer Hamels a retirement deal.

It would be tempting to give Lester a retirement deal also if it is in the 10 AAV range. They really don't have show stopping prospects upwelling. Marquez is the next big thing and he is years out. Rest are not even top 200 list noteworthy.

Last edited:

choyne35

Liked Posts:
Well I was looking at the larger pix right now.

I normally look at pitchers as junk with a 5.00 or higher ERA. but then there is Strop with a 1.09 WHIP. And most of the damage has come in injury and the opertunity to gain innings to repair his ERA is lessened.

As far as your question I wouldn't do anything mid season. They are already down 1 guy. There is no need to get stupid. But this off-season. Ya I would trade Q and offer Hamels a retirement deal.

It would be tempting to give Lester a retirement deal also if it is in the 10 AAV range. They really don't have show stopping prospects upwelling. Marquez is the next big thing and he is years out. Rest are not even top 200 list noteworthy.
True, the cubs usually just make trades or sign free agents for starting pitching and Marquez is interesting especially being a lefty but I think he will probably end up being traded for some mid season help either this year or next

CSF77

Liked Posts:
True, the cubs usually just make trades or sign free agents for starting pitching and Marquez is interesting especially being a lefty but I think he will probably end up being traded for some mid season help either this year or next

This year has been trying with injuries becoming the prevailing topic. They just activated Tony Barnett and Demoted Wick. So that was the real reason why they needed to cut a 40 man spot.

So in general I am approaching the current situation as they are just reacting in general. Promoting Alozay and Barnett were proactive changes. So that part is refreshing.

Now it becomes interesting with Kimbrel and Edwards returning next. I could just say Brach gone for Kimbrel. Edwards you really have to justify it with Edwards having options.

So I really feel it is better to retain vs trade depth right now. And honestly if they just add Kimbrel and Barnett produces like he did with Texas with Brach gone. It makes the pen better by default.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
As far as the thread goes. No they don't need a legit Ace. That only comes up 1 per 5. What matters more is having 5 guys that are talented and motivated to win. I question that with Q and Darvish alot. Talent is there but I really question the winning spirit.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
As far as the thread goes. No they don't need a legit Ace. That only comes up 1 per 5. What matters more is having 5 guys that are talented and motivated to win. I question that with Q and Darvish alot. Talent is there but I really question the winning spirit.

I don’t question Q’s desire to win. He’s pretty intense when he is out there. He really just doesn’t have that good of stuff, which means he has to be precise with his control. Yu on the other hand has incredible stuff and has clearly struggled pitching with a lead or in any kind of pressure situation. He’d probably be great on a team like the Marlins