Does Hardin sneak on opening day roster?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
With the change in the CBA about IR, one player that is on the 53 man roster during the regular season can be put on IR and be brought back after 6 wks. If Hardin is going to be healthy by mid season the Bears could put him on the 53 man for the first game and then IR him. Usually, he would have to be designated as such at the time he is put on IR, but with the rule being new after the 75 man cut down, it can be retroactive to an IR'ed player this yr. The Bears may wait to do this just prior to the first game, so teams will have set their rosters and not be as inclined to poach the player the Bears would have to release for 1 wk. Actually,the league making this retroactive, I'm not even sure he has to be on the active roster to start the season as this is a one time exemption to the rule. Anyone know about this last point one way or the other?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
He's already been IR'd, and he is eligible to come back this season as an exception made only for this season.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
OK just did a little more research:
Since the new IR rule is being adopted after the 75-man roster cuts, for the 2012 season only, the NFL and NFLPA have agreed to a transition process that allows teams to activate one player back to the 53-man roster who has been put on IR since the start of training camp.

However, the player must be reactivated no later than 9 p.m. ET on Friday.

Going forward, a team who wishes to bring a player back that player must be "designated for return" at the same time they are put on IR after the 53-man roster cut.

So I guess unless the Bears did a quick 9PM switcheroo Hardin is done for the yr:thinking:

robthorn24

CBMB Transplant
Liked Posts:
I doubt the Bears will use their IR mulligan on Harden. I'm betting that they'll wait a while into the season, so they have the opportunity to use it on someone more crucial to the team's plans. Hopefully we won't have to worry about that.

Saluki

Liked Posts:
OK just did a little more research:
Since the new IR rule is being adopted after the 75-man roster cuts, for the 2012 season only, the NFL and NFLPA have agreed to a transition process that allows teams to activate one player back to the 53-man roster who has been put on IR since the start of training camp.

However, the player must be reactivated no later than 9 p.m. ET on Friday.

Going forward, a team who wishes to bring a player back that player must be "designated for return" at the same time they are put on IR after the 53-man roster cut.

So I guess unless the Bears did a quick 9PM switcheroo Hardin is done for the yr:thinking:

That's not exactly how it works. The deadline was to count any ir player you might plan to use this on as part of the 53 man roster. Not to designate them as the player that would be brought back necessarily.then Tuesday they could place one player on modified IR. After Tuesday at 4pm the offer is over. If they don't use it by then they don't get to use it at all.

So essentially they would have to count Hardin as part of the 53 man roster until Tuesday, at which time he would be place on modified IR opening up another roster spot.

Bears might as well use this on him unless someone else gets hurt before Tuesday, otherwise it'll just go to waste.
Sent from my HTC MyTouch4G using Tapatalk 2

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Why dont they allow this rule to be used infinitely? With having a minimum of 6 wks on IR you aren't going to try to stash players and switch them out as needed on a weekly basis.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
That's not exactly how it works. The deadline was to count any ir player you might plan to use this on as part of the 53 man roster. Not to designate them as the player that would be brought back necessarily.then Tuesday they could place one player on modified IR. After Tuesday at 4pm the offer is over. If they don't use it by then they don't get to use it at all.

So essentially they would have to count Hardin as part of the 53 man roster until Tuesday, at which time he would be place on modified IR opening up another roster spot.

Bears might as well use this on him unless someone else gets hurt before Tuesday, otherwise it'll just go to waste.
Sent from my HTC MyTouch4G using Tapatalk 2
The Tues deadline may be for already IR'ed players this yr only. I beleive the new IR exemption can be used any time during the season as long as the player is designated at the time of IR and he sits at least 6 wks.