Edwin Jackson DFA

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
You wouldn't necessarily have to. The cubs could throw in money into a deal to get him down to a palatable amount. For example, if the cubs eat $11 mil he'd have $4 mil remaining for the next year and a half. The cubs benefit because they maybe get a fringey prospect or a bench player now and they don't have to pay all $15 mil. The other team gets a long reliever who might be a 5th starter on a second division team at $4 mil for 1.5 years.

Which given all that would be an overpay for any team

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Which given all that would be an overpay for any team

Depends really. I mean the league min is like $500k so if you figure you're paying $1 mil for the next 1.5 years anyways for anyone that means he's costing you an additional $3 mil. I don't know how much the cubs payed the Pirates for Richard but clearly the amount of pitching out there isn't much right now. Either way, the exact amount you pay him down to is pretty irrelevant. There is a price at which someone would take him. be it $1 mil or whatever.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Depends really. I mean the league min is like $500k so if you figure you're paying $1 mil for the next 1.5 years anyways for anyone that means he's costing you an additional $3 mil. I don't know how much the cubs payed the Pirates for Richard but clearly the amount of pitching out there isn't much right now. Either way, the exact amount you pay him down to is pretty irrelevant. There is a price at which someone would take him. be it $1 mil or whatever.

No there isn't. He is no better than any guy anyone could put in there at the #5 spot. Take my pathetic team. at the five spot they can go Noesi, Montras, Beck, Drabek, Johnson, Penny, Carroll. Just from that batch they get the same or better from EJAX at less bucks.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
No there isn't. He is no better than any guy anyone could put in there at the #5 spot. Take my pathetic team. at the five spot they can go Noesi, Montras, Beck, Drabek, Johnson, Penny, Carroll. Just from that batch they get the same or better from EJAX at less bucks.

The dodgers are starting Carlos Frias with a 4.54/4.25 ERA/FIP
The angels are starting Matt Shoemaker with a 4.80/4.51 ERA/FIP and Jared Weaver with 4.75/4.75
The Astros are starting Collin McHugh with a 4.35/3.87, Scott Feldman with a 4.93/4.38 ERA/FIP, and Roberto Hernandez with a 5.18/4.85
The yankees are starting CC Sabathia at 5.25/4.32, and Nathan Eovaldi at 4.50/3.53
The O's are starting Chris Tillman at 4.96/4.13, Kevin Gausman at 5.40/3.52, Miguel Gonzalez at 4.21/4.94
The Rays are starting Alex Colome at 4.70/4.56
The Blue Jays are starting Drew Hutchison at 5.19/3.75 and Dickey at 4.70/4.98
The Roays are starting Jeremy Guthrie at 5.36/4.70 and Danny Duffy at 4.24/4.40

I could literally go on and on here. Jackson has a 3.19/2.83 ERA/FIP this year. Now I'm not saying the cubs would get anything good for him(talking Barney level trade here) but there quite literally isn't enough starting pitching on the market for all these contending teams and if the guys listed above are starting what do you think their AAA looks like if someone were to get injured? What do you think Jackson will pass through waviers never to be heard from again? The cubs might not be able to trade him but I will guarantee some team picks him up if he hits FA after waviers.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The angels are starting Matt Shoemaker with a 4.80/4.51 ERA/FIP and Jared Weaver with 4.75/4.75
The Astros are starting Collin McHugh with a 4.35/3.87, Scott Feldman with a 4.93/4.38 ERA/FIP, and Roberto Hernandez with a 5.18/4.85
The yankees are starting CC Sabathia at 5.25/4.32, and Nathan Eovaldi at 4.50/3.53
The O's are starting Chris Tillman at 4.96/4.13, Kevin Gausman at 5.40/3.52, Miguel Gonzalez at 4.21/4.94

I could literally go on and on here. Jackson has a 3.19/2.83 ERA/FIP this year. Now I'm not saying the cubs would get anything good for him(talking Barney level trade here) but there quite literally isn't enough starting pitching on the market for all these contending teams and if the guys listed above are starting what do you think their AAA looks like if someone were to get injured? What do you think Jackson will pass through waviers never to be heard from again? The cubs might not be able to trade him but I will guarantee some team picks him up if he hits FA after waviers.

Unless of course you're Ken Rosenthal who believes that there will be so much starting pitching available that it's going to become a buyers market before all is said and done. Of course I'm not sure I agree with Rosenthal but it is interesting.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...tt-kazmir-cole-hamels-071915?vid=487007299683

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Unless of course you're Ken Rosenthal who believes that there will be so much starting pitching available that it's going to become a buyers market before all is said and done. Of course I'm sure I agree with Rosenthal but it is interesting.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...tt-kazmir-cole-hamels-071915?vid=487007299683

Suppose that's possible. I'm just going on what I've read and that is that it seems like it's a seller's market. But then I've also heard it's possible Hamels might not even get traded and if that happens then the market will be weak.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
No, I'm with you. I'll have to see that to believe Rosenthal. Should have read "I'm not sure I agree".

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
No, I'm with you. I'll have to see that to believe Rosenthal. Should have read "I'm not sure I agree".

I actually read it that way, yay for lack of reading comprehension on my part. I was mainly talking about rosenthal's apparent opinion.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Did you just compare EJAX BP numebrs to team's SP numbers? In the words of Booker T, Tell Me You Did Not Just Do That?! EJAX as a starter is like a 5.5-6 ERA guy in the NL. Even worse in the AL. Sorry, no one wants him.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Did you just compare EJAX BP numebrs to team's SP numbers? In the words of Booker T, Tell Me You Did Not Just Do That?! EJAX as a starter is like a 5.5-6 ERA guy in the NL. Even worse in the AL. Sorry, no one wants him.
As the whitesox claim his ass... lol lol lol. ?

J/K

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
chibears55,
We will, but to hit, not pitch. :(

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Nothing to do with that. If a team claims him they take on his contract. If they lest him go that contract falls on the Cubs and then a team could pick him up for league min. He will end up on a team but on the Cubs tab.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

We're just going to have to agree to disagree then because I'm almost certain you're categorically wrong here. I can see that a team may not want to give anything up for him but as a FA I'm almost certain he'll get picked up by someone.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Nothing to do with that. If a team claims him they take on his contract. If they lest him go that contract falls on the Cubs and then a team could pick him up for league min. He will end up on a team but on the Cubs tab.

We shall see. I am very skeptical of anyone giving EJAX an SP job.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
We're just going to have to agree to disagree then because I'm almost certain you're categorically wrong here. I can see that a team may not want to give anything up for him but as a FA I'm almost certain he'll get picked up by someone.

It is possible. Teams make mistakes all the time.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It is possible. Teams make mistakes all the time.

True, there is always the factor of out of town stupid. The thing is he might be able to help a team even briefly in the stretch run. Think of a team that loses it's 5th starter and takes a flyer a-la Clayton Richards. The Cubs didn't do it because they don't have confidence in him, another team could make different decision. He's not a good pitcher but he is a MLB arm and I would never underestimate that value of that.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
True, there is always the factor of out of town stupid. The thing is he might be able to help a team even briefly in the stretch run. Think of a team that loses it's 5th starter and takes a flyer a-la Clayton Richards. The Cubs didn't do it because they don't have confidence in him, another team could make different decision. He's not a good pitcher but he is a MLB arm and I would never underestimate that value of that.

More to the point, it's entirely possible another team's pitching coach sees something in him that's fixable. Most would have lumped Liriano in a similar boat to where Jackson is now. It took the Pirates buying him cheaply and rehabbing him to turn his career around. They did the same thing with Edinson Volquez too and his stats prior to signing with the Pirates were 5.71/5.29 ERA/FIP, 4.14/4.06, and 5.71/4.24.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
More to the point, it's entirely possible another team's pitching coach sees something in him that's fixable. Most would have lumped Liriano in a similar boat to where Jackson is now. It took the Pirates buying him cheaply and rehabbing him to turn his career around. They did the same thing with Edinson Volquez too and his stats prior to signing with the Pirates were 5.71/5.29 ERA/FIP, 4.14/4.06, and 5.71/4.24.

Also true. Jackson has such a bad national rep that I don't know anyone would think that way about him anymore but you never know. Baseball is a strange game and what I was really disagreeing with was brett05's assertion that he's hot garbage that no one would consider, or if they did it would automatically be a mistake. Cheap options are easy to take a look at.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
:clap:

Great convo guys. Thanks!

commonsense

Liked Posts:
He's been straight trash, he never was great but never thought he would be this bad