Epstein Could Be Greatest Exec In MLB History

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Let me humbly preface this by eating copious amounts of crow. Maybe two years back I thought Theo had delivered a death sentence to Cubs baseball. I looked at our lack of pitching in the farm system and couldn't envision us having the necessary pitching staff/bullpen to win at the major league level. I saw Rizzo, Castro, and Baez as just didn't see enough offense.

Boy was I ignorant. Epstein drafted Bryant and Schwarber and acquired Addison Russell and Jake Arrieta. Then he signed Lester, brought back Hammel and acquired Fowler. Next thing you know we probably have the brightest future of any organization in the league.

Epstein accomplished so much in Boston. He won two World Series and his finger prints were all over their third title. Now he's completely rebuilt one of the most dysfunctional organizations and worst, most crippled rosters in all of baseball into a juggernaut that is primed for a decade-long run. A realistic scenario is making the playoffs seven of the next ten years and breaking through one time to win a World Series. Should that scenario unfold, Theo has to go down as the greatest Exec in MLB history.

He'll have taken the two single biggest challenges in baseball - bringing titles to Boston and Chicago -- and conquering it. Usually I hate being wrong -- but man it feels good. Epstein took so much heat from clowns like me who failed to see his vision but he stayed the course and now look at us. We're on pace for 92 freaking wins - which is way beyond my expectations for a team starting 4 rookies. Has that ever even been done before?

It seems to me like we have a good chance of punching through one of these years over the next decade. And if we do Theo Epstein will be Chicago's greatest sports Hero. He'll be a beloved Icon of unimaginable proportions. Epstein, Hoyer and Maddon are embarking on a quest for sports Holy Grail -- the Cubs World Series Title. I can't think of anything more amazing than being in Chicago when it happens.

Ron Santo and Ernie Banks -- this one is for you. Theo's gonna bring it home for us.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
We're on pace for 92 freaking wins - which is way beyond my expectations for a team starting 4 rookies. Has that ever even been done before?

Nope. No team with 4 rookies with 300 PA has ever made the postseason or won more than 86 games. Schwarber will likely get those 300 PA before the season is done. Only 4 teams have made the postseason with 3 rookies with 300 PA or more.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Another reason that shows why you're the biggest dumbass on here. Wow.

Huge troll. Any thread I start you pop in to contribute absolutely nothing accept to derail the thread. You are not even a Cubs fan so your mere presence here is 100% the intent to troll.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
So what's Maddon's WAR up to now?

Mitchapalooza

Huge troll. Any thread I start you pop in to contribute absolutely nothing accept to derail the thread. You are not even a Cubs fan so your mere presence here is 100% the intent to troll.
You're intent to overthrow petemichaels for dumbest threads. if you just made a thread saying Epstein is great etc. But no you deemed him the best in history. Moron.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Best in history is a bit much but I think he can be forgiven for being overexcited. Why fight over it? Seems silly to me.

Agreed. Might be the best in Cub history though.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Best in history is a bit much but I think he can be forgiven for being overexcited. Why fight over it? Seems silly to me.

He's just a troll. And maybe I'm being over excited (with good reason, haha). But I would think he'd have to be in the conversation? He would have conquered the games two biggest challenges.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
He's just a troll. And maybe I'm being over excited (with good reason, haha). But I would think he'd have to be in the conversation? He would have conquered the games two biggest challenges.

I'm a big Epstein fan, Boston has always been my number 2 team, but I'll judge history when the Cubs have a World Series win under their belts. In the meantime enjoy the ride it's going to be a good one.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Agreed. Might be the best in Cub history though.

Well, he would definitely be the best in Cubs history. Nobody would even be close, no? I'm trying to think of the best exec's in baseball history. Who would be measurably higher than Theo should he accomplish the unthinkable?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, he would definitely be the best in Cubs history. Nobody would even be close, no? I'm trying to think of the best exec's in baseball history. Who would be measurably higher than Theo should he accomplish the unthinkable?

Dallas Green

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yep. Green tried to do, in the context of the era, almost the exact same thing Theo and company are doing but the Tribune Company wouldn't get out of his way. The 90's might have looked s lot different if they had and he was able to finish what he started.

First real proponent for lights at Wrigley Field. His theory was that the 69 Cubs got beat by playing too much day baseball....only part of the answer....the other part being that they had zero depth on that team forcing Durocher to play his starters till they dropped.

Mitchapalooza

You're right dj I'm not a cubs fan. I'm a red Sox fan. You know the team Theo was on before the cubs

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
First real proponent for lights at Wrigley Field. His theory was that the 69 Cubs got beat by playing too much day baseball....only part of the answer....the other part being that they had zero depth on that team forcing Durocher to play his starters till they dropped.

He also recognized the need for a farm system that was consistent throughout. Green and Director of Scouting Gordon Goldsberry started putting in place a "Cubs way" just as Theo and company have done 30 years later. The philosophies are not dissimilar. The Cubs, before and after Green pre Theo, never had a single methodology or team ideology that went from when a player was drafted until they reached the big leagues. So many guys washed out because things they learned from A ball were thrown out the window with each level they climbed. There was development on individual levels but not system wide. After seeing what Green tried to do and watching teams like the Twins, Cardinals, Red Sox and even the Yankees in their own peculiar fashion had a vision they followed and in translated into World Series appearances and wins. The scattershot approach that the Cubs took in the aughts and other teams try works occasionally (White Sox 2005, Marlins 2003) but more often than not fails. Organizations are improtant and consistency is important. That's one of the reason this is so fun. Aside from Green I never felt there was a plan in place and now I do.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let me humbly preface this by eating copious amounts of crow. Maybe two years back I thought Theo had delivered a death sentence to Cubs baseball. I looked at our lack of pitching in the farm system and couldn't envision us having the necessary pitching staff/bullpen to win at the major league level. I saw Rizzo, Castro, and Baez as just didn't see enough offense.

Boy was I ignorant. Epstein drafted Bryant and Schwarber and acquired Addison Russell and Jake Arrieta. Then he signed Lester, brought back Hammel and acquired Fowler. Next thing you know we probably have the brightest future of any organization in the league.

Epstein accomplished so much in Boston. He won two World Series and his finger prints were all over their third title. Now he's completely rebuilt one of the most dysfunctional organizations and worst, most crippled rosters in all of baseball into a juggernaut that is primed for a decade-long run. A realistic scenario is making the playoffs seven of the next ten years and breaking through one time to win a World Series. Should that scenario unfold, Theo has to go down as the greatest Exec in MLB history.

He'll have taken the two single biggest challenges in baseball - bringing titles to Boston and Chicago -- and conquering it. Usually I hate being wrong -- but man it feels good. Epstein took so much heat from clowns like me who failed to see his vision but he stayed the course and now look at us. We're on pace for 92 freaking wins - which is way beyond my expectations for a team starting 4 rookies. Has that ever even been done before?

It seems to me like we have a good chance of punching through one of these years over the next decade. And if we do Theo Epstein will be Chicago's greatest sports Hero. He'll be a beloved Icon of unimaginable proportions. Epstein, Hoyer and Maddon are embarking on a quest for sports Holy Grail -- the Cubs World Series Title. I can't think of anything more amazing than being in Chicago when it happens.

Ron Santo and Ernie Banks -- this one is for you. Theo's gonna bring it home for us.

Great post as always. Don't let the trolls rain on your party.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Dallas Green was pretty darn good. Again, let's see a WS championship in Wrigley before we crown his ass.

Edit: I see others beat me to it. Just put me down as another person who remembers Dallas Green as being really good in the Front Office.