February 4TH, 2007 Changed This Franchise

Bears89

Liked Posts:
We all remember the 2006 season: Bad QB, Generational D, hopes to bring Lombardi home to the Windy city. So many chances to expand on that 14-6 lead in first quarter... didn't happen. Ultimately our worst fears Were realized...Rex Grossman cost us that game.

Fast forward ten years: Bears haven't made the playoffs ( Minus a fluke 2010 season) since. GM's, coaches, players have come and gone. How would winning on that day have changed the Bears?

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wait, what happened?

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
We all remember the 2006 season: Bad QB, Generational D, hopes to bring Lombardi home to the Windy city. So many chances to expand on that 14-6 lead in first quarter... didn't happen. Ultimately our worst fears Were realized...Rex Grossman cost us that game.

Ron Turner lost us that game by throwing it 30 times with Rex Grossman in a fucking monsoon.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will always blame that piece of shit Ron Turner. He blew it in 05 as well with three straight passes with a rusty ass Grossman to begin the game.

mecha

Liked Posts:
was it necessarily a monsoon? people keep saying this. it looked like regular ass rain to me. Prince didn't get electrocuted or his backup dancers didn't self destruct because of it.

everyone else's points about Ron Turner being a dipshit and having Rex Grossman, who couldn't complete more than 10 passes in the previous game, throw the ball in rain (he's a professional athlete at the quarterback position drafted in the first round; he should be able to do this regardless) when Thomas Jones was doing very well running the ball against the Colts defense.................. totally valid.

I'll raise all of you and say Cedric Benson is a pussy for punking out in the Super Bowl. what a worthless cunt. his cuntiness was only amplified the following season when the Bears gifted the New York Jets a tremendous runningback in exchange for probably 5 bottles of Gatorade and Benson proceeded to run with his chin on his dick for his portion of the season until OUR Adrian Peterson had to finish for him.

and fuck Rex Grossman. no way and no how is he better than Jay Cutler, he was putrid and absolute shit. he had 1 month in his entire career where he looked good. and one of those games he nearly lost it for the team at the Rollerdome. there, this is now officially a Jay Cutler thread.

jesus christ this team is pathetic.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tommie Harris and Mike Brown, missing those 2 was the biggest difference of all. The refusal to go away from the cover 2 was also a big factor as Manning dumped off his ass up the field.

Agreed about the notion of a monsoon has really been exaggerated, it was raining and wet.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Glad someone brought up the soft D as well. Coaches are supposed to put their team in a position to win. We got the opposite. Anyone think that Dungy might have a clue on how to attack a soft Tampa 2? A big change in that game was when we had P. Manning almost sacked and he threw a duck downfield for a TD. D. Manning completely blew his assignment and Lovie then told Rivera to stay in the base D and stop attacking.

That game didn't change the franchise. Winning that game would have changed the franchise.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
2006 sucked then 2007 happened. How back to back promising seasons turn into a 7-9 dumpster fire. It was that season when you knew the window was quickly closed.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It was a very weak NFC and very strong AFC that year. We were going to be underdogs against 3 or 4 teams in that SB.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2006 sucked then 2007 happened. How back to back promising seasons turn into a 7-9 dumpster fire. It was that season when you knew the window was quickly closed.

2006 was a Super Bowl appearence, the end result sucked, I agree with that. But it was fantastically great season as a Bears fan, not many better in the last 30 years.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
2006 was a Super Bowl appearence, the end result sucked, I agree with that. But it was fantastically great season as a Bears fan, not many better in the last 30 years.

Of course that was obviously my point. It still hurts the Bears lost that game and Hester's TD still gives me chills when I see it.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
The coaches cost "us" that game. We should have ran the ball 40 times in the rain...

Ron Turner lost us that game by throwing it 30 times with Rex Grossman in a fucking monsoon.

I believe this has actually been debunked on here, that the Bears didn't really get pass-happy until they were down by two scores.

The turning point of that game was a drive late in the third quarter when the Bears were approaching midfield facing second down with one yard to go and then on consecutive plays, Grossman was sacked for an 11-yard loss and then fumbled the snap on third down resulting in a punt.

That and the pick-6 were the two moments where the Bears lost that game, IMO.

And quit making me think about that fucking game again dammit!

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

And for those of us not old enough for '85 (raises hand), it was the most enjoyable sports season of my life. I remember being bored a few times in October when they were blowing out Buffalo and San Francisco. Imagine that ... being bored because the Bears were too good?

Scooter27

Liked Posts:

Fast forward ten years: Bears haven't made the playoffs ( Minus a fluke 2010 season) since. GM's, coaches, players have come and gone. How would winning on that day have changed the Bears?

Why so easy to discredit the 2010 playoff season? I thoroughly enjoyed that year. As well as the 2012 season. Even tho they didn't make it, it was still one of my favorite bears teams.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Why so easy to discredit the 2010 playoff season? I thoroughly enjoyed that year. As well as the 2012 season. Even tho they didn't make it, it was still one of my favorite bears teams.

2010 was fun, but you lost me at 2012 season. people can argue "but but they went 10-6!" all they want, they beat no winning teams, and were offensively weak.

2006 was the first year I seriously watched football every Sunday. I was fresh out of college and couldn't find work, I literally had nothing else to do. I also went to 4 games that year, all of which they won. one of them being the Seahawks playoff game, where we nearly shit ourselves.

I refuse to ever watch Super Bowl 41 ever again. I haven't seen it since it was live. so I don't remember every single plot point, that pick 6 still sticks out in my mind though as the true game changer. Grossman was a terrible quarterback. if you have to be switched in and out with 2 other guys because your play is so erratic, you're really not good. and being the offensive player of the month in your first period of starts in your career about 4 seasons in doesn't change that.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
was it necessarily a monsoon? people keep saying this. it looked like regular ass rain to me. Prince didn't get electrocuted or his backup dancers didn't self destruct because of it.

everyone else's points about Ron Turner being a dipshit and having Rex Grossman, who couldn't complete more than 10 passes in the previous game, throw the ball in rain (he's a professional athlete at the quarterback position drafted in the first round; he should be able to do this regardless) when Thomas Jones was doing very well running the ball against the Colts defense.................. totally valid.

I'll raise all of you and say Cedric Benson is a pussy for punking out in the Super Bowl. what a worthless cunt. his cuntiness was only amplified the following season when the Bears gifted the New York Jets a tremendous runningback in exchange for probably 5 bottles of Gatorade and Benson proceeded to run with his chin on his dick for his portion of the season until OUR Adrian Peterson had to finish for him.

and fuck Rex Grossman. no way and no how is he better than Jay Cutler, he was putrid and absolute shit. he had 1 month in his entire career where he looked good. and one of those games he nearly lost it for the team at the Rollerdome. there, this is now officially a Jay Cutler thread.

jesus christ this team is pathetic.
Don't talk shit about my boy Rex. Cutler has had years and with many he had a good D to get us to the Super Bowl. Cutler sucks.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I was there

It was monsoon like at times, it was light rain at times but it rained the entire fking game and it was windy and rained sI delays all game long.

I was also in Chicago 2 week prior and was warmer there in the snow than in the constant rain for 26 straight hours.

Turner f-up by calling more deep passes vs screensc or dump offs.....there a reason why manning won the mvp....he had a rbs with about 15 recpt. and rarely threw deep. after the 1st quarter