Fowler could be a smart bet

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From all reports Fowler is a great clubhouse edition. He's young, improving, has some range in outfield coverage. Can steal in a post steroid age where speed is premium.

The sox had great success when it was speed in front of power. It's a formula that works in most stadiums, and has been tested well in this one.

At his current bargain after this delayed year for center fielders held up by Davis and Cespedes.

Fowler at a bargain, (just pay the man his 5-6 years at a little less than he was hoping, and in this case we are a home town across town discount), so 5 years for a young multi tooled player...he covers ground and is a defensive plus. Base running plus. Was clutch in playoffs.

He would be the best outfielder on the white sox in my opinion and upgrade 3 positions defensively by sliding Cabrera and platooning Eaton/Garcia. something Cespedes could not do.

The K rate of Upton and Davis will determine the value of those signing over time, while Fowler has many ways to stay useful. It's a safer more cost effective move. It's a Sox move.

It's a player you shouldn't mind committing to. Baseball isn't going to change in next 5 years. Let's make it happen.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
all right but he is not even the plan B he is the plan C or so, it's kinda disapoiting for the poor Sox

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
all right but he is not even the plan B he is the plan C or so, it's kinda disapoiting for the poor Sox

It could work out for the best. It's not the needed Abreu protection but it would be another piece in the puzzle that can hold down his spot and earn his money.

The thing that sinks a franchise is getting a Plan A wrong.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
surely he is an improvement but Cespedes is on another level. I don't know if Fowler can help the Sox in close the gap with the best teams of the league, i hope he will, i don't wish you bad

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
surely he is an improvement but Cespedes is on another level. I don't know if Fowler can help the Sox in close the gap with the best teams of the league, i hope he will, i don't wish you bad

Cespedes probably available again next year if willing to pay. Upton available again in two years if willing to pay. But Sox not buyers. I'm almost as offended by the dog and pony show that they pretend for the fan base like they are in the hunt. Awwww well we missed on Cespedes. Fucking Please!! Sell the team to Cuban, they will be raking in money and popularity within 3 years.

Fowler would solidify one spot in the outfield for 5 years. Worth the bargain price to the team with worst outfield in baseball!! Eaton, post roid melky, and Garcia. Are you fucking joking?

There are LF sluggers available from Toronto and Colorado mid season, Fowler would legitimize the Sox hopes and keep them afloat to trade deadline for a bargain, and he would remain an important piece in the years to come if they are serious about taking advantage of the very real Sale/Abreu window.

You know what? If we sell either of those generational talents I'm done. That's my line in the sand, they don't deserve our money.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Fowler can't help this club.

We need 25+ HRs/90+ RBIs from the RF and DH positions to have any chance at the playoffs. Fowler doesn't give us that.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I saw a stat that 3 guys have got on base for .365 clip over last 5 years. If you had those 25 hr guys you could still miss the playoffs and the missing piece would be a guy like fowler who doesn't get 90 Ribbies, but can get 90 runs.

He improves the defense, improves the offense, doesn't break the bank. What's the decision here.

(Those three guys are Trout, McCutchen, Fowler)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Eaton > Fowler

I'm not paying $15 million per for Fowler.
Not giving up a second round pick for him either.

No thanks

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
I saw a stat that 3 guys have got on base for .365 clip over last 5 years. If you had those 25 hr guys you could still miss the playoffs and the missing piece would be a guy like fowler who doesn't get 90 Ribbies, but can get 90 runs.

He improves the defense, improves the offense, doesn't break the bank. What's the decision here.

(Those three guys are Trout, McCutchen, Fowler)

Look at the offensive stats for this team last year. The Sox ranked dead last in the AL for HRs and RBIs. It doesn't take an expert to see we need more run producers in the lineup, not more table setters. Adding Dexter Fowler would be like adding extra wood to a fireplace with no flame. It's pointless.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fowler can't help this club.

We need 25+ HRs/90+ RBIs from the RF and DH positions to have any chance at the playoffs. Fowler doesn't give us that.

I don't think he is the answer either. WHere do you play him, for example. He has a weak arm so you shouldn't play him in right, He's not a center fielder either so the only spot is left field and Cabrera can only play there. To me they either make a trade for an outfielder who can play right field or center or hope like hell that Garcia can blossom.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
We can't knock the Sox for not trying, atleast. They've remained aggressive in going after impact players. Sale, Abreu and the Frazier trade are noteworthy acquisitions.

My only problem with this organization: they get cold feet when it comes to signing that one top free agent that ALL of baseball acknowledges is a perfect fit for this club.

Their reason is always the same: "too many years than they're comfortable with." Like they actually expect a top free agent is going to fall into their lap for less money on a shorter contract. So they end up with second tier, plan "b" guys who never work out and they can't trade because said player isn't worth their contract. You'd think they would have learned their lesson by now. Sox ownership is overly risk-adverse and their unwillingness to move the team forward has become painfully predictable at this point.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I don't think he is the answer either. WHere do you play him, for example. He has a weak arm so you shouldn't play him in right, He's not a center fielder either so the only spot is left field and Cabrera can only play there. To me they either make a trade for an outfielder who can play right field or center or hope like hell that Garcia can blossom.
Fowler is a CF.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cabrera LF, Fowler CF, Eaton RF. Garcia depth and situational rotation.

Really wouldn't be that bad, and would have great OBP.

Frazier, Lawrie, Abreu decent infield pop.

It isn't finishing the puzzle but you could add a HR catcher and a real DH or 1B sliding Abreu to DH.

The puzzle would be closer to finished. The Sox would be a better team. And the cost per year would be a bargain,

And we missed out on this market with nobody available next year and have the worst outfield.

We saw Span. Davis and her rest sign or take qualifiers. Then it was Upton or Cespedes. Then cespedes or bust.

But now I say Fowler wouldn't be a terrible outcome at all and could be a great fit at a bargain price. The reward for waiting out the market.

I say do it, and I think over the next 5 years will equal 90% WAR of the other bigger contracts. We would actually be lucky, and maybe have one big check to write somebody for those 40 home runs we need.

Would Bonds DH? lol. How do we sell the farm for Schwarber or Soler?

Maybe Pujols or Hamilton could be extracted at some point with cash considerations.

And how long is Eaton for the white sox? I'm saying lock down Fowler long term for a little less than he wanted.

He is a piece of any puzzle, one that would not be available except his team has the wealth of farm, and no DH for schwarber, and a free agent prize.

Enjoy Eaton leading off all year again then.

Or solidify the top of the order, improve right field production, and have the future beyond Cabrera a little more certain.

Fowler makes sense if you are looking beyond this year.

Soler, Schwarber, Heyward, Coughlan, Happ, Almora.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Eaton has a good arm?

He has a good arm for a center fielder who generally aren't required to have one. Eaton as a general rule has an accurate arm and always hits the cut-off man.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Sox a supposedly in talks with the Rockies about Carlos Gonzalez. That is the real piece to fit the puzzle. Supposedly it would take a top pitching prospect and Garcia to pull it off.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The Sox a supposedly in talks with the Rockies about Carlos Gonzalez. That is the real piece to fit the puzzle. Supposedly it would take a top pitching prospect and Garcia to pull it off.

I would do Daniel Webb or Chris Beck with Leruy Garcia for Cargo.