Fun with SCF Stats

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For some odd reason I decided to pull stats for all NHL SCF games from NHL.com, and created the following analysis. Not that it determines what is going to happen in this series, but I think the trends are interesting.

Sorry for the image, but I just cannot find a good way to format data from Excel and post it here, so just right-click on the image and select to view image for the full size.

fypnoj.jpg

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just to add to the craziness of the above, some more fun SCF stats and trends.

Teams that had Home ice advantage that one games 1 and 2, then lost game 3, won game 4:

64% since 1980.

60% since 1990.

60% since 2000.

Teams with home ice advantage that won game 4:

59% since 1980.

63% since 1990.

67% since 2000.

Teams leading the series that won game 4:

76% since 1980.

68% since 1990.

55% since 2000.

Teams that won game 4 and won the Cup:

90% since 1980.

84% since 1990.

78% since 2000.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
[quote name="BiscuitintheBasket"]Just to add to the craziness of the above, some more fun SCF stats and trends.

Teams that won game 4 and won the Cup:

90% since 1980.

84% since 1990.

78% since 2000.[/quote]

So if one is a nerd like Biscuit and likes playing with % numbers this means the Hawks need to win tonight.

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="MassHavoc"]Cliff Notes Ladies?[/quote]

Penis.

Philadelphia

Enjoys

NHL

Improved

Support

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interestingly enough 5 of the last 8 SCF have gone 7 games. 4 of those 5 were won by the team with Home Ice advantage. In those 4 games the home team lost game 5. Nothing it over until it is over.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
But isn't it true that since the lockout the team that won game 4 in every cup series has won the cup? Thought I heard that from the guys from tsn or something.

Im not going to research that though because I don't feel like it.

Biscuit you do it!!

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
[quote name="BiscuitintheBasket"]

Penis.

Philadelphia

Enjoys

NHL

Improved

Support[/quote]

This message is PENIS approved.

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="the canadian dream"]But isn't it true that since the lockout the team that won game 4 in every cup series has won the cup? Thought I heard that from the guys from tsn or something.

Im not going to research that though because I don't feel like it.

Biscuit you do it!![/quote]

True

Code:
Year	Gm1	Gm2	Gm3	Gm4	Gm5	Gm6	Gm7	HIA	Winner

2009	DET	DET	PIT	PIT	DET	PIT	PIT	DET	PIT

2008	DET	DET	PIT	DET	PIT	DET	...	DET	DET

2007	ANH	ANH	OTT	ANH	ANH	...	...	ANH	ANH

2006	CAR	CAR	EDM	CAR	EDM	EDM	CAR	CAR	CAR

2005	CGY	TBL	CGY	TBL	CGY	TBL	TBL	TBL	TBL

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So after 4 games, this series is in rare historical territory. Still hard to ignore that 5 of the last 9 SCF have gone 7 games...and only 8 since 1967.

158a5h4.jpg

The 'Hawks all time when splitting any playoff series after 4 games is 13-18. Also, in game 5 of those splits, the 'Hawks are 17-14.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Maiden"]The password is TV revenue[/quote]

While I agree the league probably has its hands on this series a little. If it were all about tv revenue why was the NBA final being played at the exact same time as game 5 in the cup final? One would think the league would find a way around that one. Guess they needed that Sunday evening crowd though...you know the one that was watching the NBA final.

I am actually curious as to what the ratings have been thus far and what they were for tonights game going head to head against the NBA game.

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="the canadian dream"]

While I agree the league probably has its hands on this series a little. If it were all about tv revenue why was the NBA final being played at the exact same time as game 5 in the cup final? One would think the league would find a way around that one. Guess they needed that Sunday evening crowd though...you know the one that was watching the NBA final.

I am actually curious as to what the ratings have been thus far and what they were for tonights game going head to head against the NBA game.[/quote]

In the US games 1-3 where the highest rated SCF game 1-3 in history. Don't know about games 4-5 yet.