Grade the Bears signings so far

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's kind of a backwards way to look at it. Its not like Pace can simply choose to sign whomever he wants...the two limiting factors are cap space and who is available. What other OLs were available for Pace to sign? What other available OLs could Pace have fit under the cap? If Larsen was the best available OL whom Pace could afford, then its a good signing regardless of 'starter expectations'.

LMFAO, the dude was trash. For that kind of production you might as well draft a dude late and not throw money at a dude that was a league leader in giving up pressure.

In any event, if you wish to grade him differently then feel free. You have that option.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
He is pretty bad at his job. If we just gave good grades to people that play poorly when they start then who are we giving bad grades too?
The thread ask you to grade the signing, which entails valuing need, production and, cost vs similarly available players to fill those needs. So you grading players independent of that is meaningless for the OP, but Remy does as Remy sees fit. Maybe you should start a thread asking how good of players are the Bears FA signings, so we can verify Pace hasn't signed any Pro Bowlers for bargain bin prices.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Giving Ted Larsen a D is just weird.

He has started at OG and C, has 86 career starts so for different teams have thought he was better than crap, and is making 1 million dollars.

I am not sure what is wrong with that as a backup OL men. Versatility, experience, and cheap.

Frank omyale has starting experience and he sucked dick. If you suck you get a bad grade period even if it’s just depth. Hopefully he doesn’t see the field but the way king is.....cringe

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
LMFAO, the dude was trash. For that kind of production you might as well draft a dude late and not throw money at a dude that was a league leader in giving up pressure.

In any event, if you wish to grade him differently then feel free. You have that option.

Larsen was merely an example. Not sure why you chose to dodge the issue and focus on him. What I said is common sense. I don't know how you could "grade" an FA signing and ignore cap space and who else was available.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

Our picks are way more limited than our cap space. Don’t be so dense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Larsen was merely an example. Not sure why you chose to dodge the issue and focus on him. What I said is common sense. I don't know how you could "grade" an FA signing and ignore cap space and who else was available.
More importantly is it : an FA signing- read as EFF AY signing.
I read FA as -free agent- so I type a FA signing.

Advice needed as to avoid utter embarrassment

Visionman

Liked Posts:

Better be careful, Remy! Not even you will be able to vortex yourself out of comments like this when you're proven wrong yet again...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
jeez....a Free agent signing is not merely a reflection of the ability of the player signed.....

EL ROCKSTEADY

CBMB Refugee
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hard to grade. From a strategy standpoint under the circumstances with no early round picks, I feel the FA haul is a bit light. Future salary cap issues with a good chunk of these young players gonna want big money would make sense. But, I feel Clinton-dix is the only true upgrade. We went light with hopes of what we have being that much better next year. B- overall. FA simply used to cheaply replace what we lost.

Most intriguing pick is the Patterson pick. He should help ST and if one of out wrs go down, he is a great replacement if hes not already better than Gabriel or Miller.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Hard to grade. From a strategy standpoint under the circumstances with no early round picks, I feel the FA haul is a bit light. Future salary cap issues with a good chunk of these young players gonna want big money would make sense. But, I feel Clinton-dix is the only true upgrade. We went light with hopes of what we have being that much better next year. B- overall. FA simply used to cheaply replace what we lost.

Most intriguing pick is the Patterson pick. He should help ST and if one of out wrs go down, he is a great replacement if hes not already better than Gabriel or Miller.

That's what good teams should be doing in F A. Let the desperate teams grossly overpay for talent...

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The thread ask you to grade the signing, which entails valuing need, production and, cost vs similarly available players to fill those needs. So you grading players independent of that is meaningless for the OP, but Remy does as Remy sees fit. Maybe you should start a thread asking how good of players are the Bears FA signings, so we can verify Pace hasn't signed any Pro Bowlers for bargain bin prices.

I gave the dude a D because he is below average even as a backup. If you put a backup in there and he gives up league leading pressure then how is that a good signing?

Frank omyale has starting experience and he sucked dick. If you suck you get a bad grade period even if it’s just depth. Hopefully he doesn’t see the field but the way king is.....cringe

Some of these guys are just weird. It is like we are suppose to be happy that a dude that sucks got a chance to start because of injury and thus grade him highly because of it. The dude sucked when he played.

I didn't ignore cap space or who else was available. There were other guys available that weren't one of the league leaders in giving up pressure. You could also potentially find a late draft pick or UDFA to develop for league minimum that hasn't already proven they suck.

Our picks are way more limited than our cap space. Don’t be so dense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which still doesn't mean signing a guy that is one of the league leaders in giving up pressure is good. Like holy shit, if we sign Jamarcus Webb to be a backup, does that mean it is a good signing just because he was cheap? We just ignore the fact he sucks? Ted Larsen sucks.

Better be careful, Remy! Not even you will be able to vortex yourself out of comments like this when you're proven wrong yet again...

There is nothing to Vortex out of. Based on his actual historical play last year he sucks. If he has a great year next year then he will no longer suck and my opinion will be revised. Until then all I can go off of is the fact that he gave up a ton of pressure last year and thus he sucks.

jeez....a Free agent signing is not merely a reflection of the ability of the player signed.....

If you sign a bad player then the signing sucks. You are better off drafting or getting someone who hasn't proven they suck in the hopes you get a cheap player that ends up being good. Rashad Coward is cheap and hasn't prove he sucks like Larsen has.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears have had to overpay for talent in the past. Its nice to see talent coming here cheaply and not going to go get someone out of desperation.

Its nice to see our rivals have to go blow big money because they are hurting from a lack of talent...

First time in a long time...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you sign a bad player then the signing sucks. You are better off drafting or getting someone who hasn't proven they suck on the hopes you get a cheap player that ends up being good. Rashad Coward is cheap and hasn't prove he sucks like Larsen has.

just responding to what you directed at me...

Bad player is pretty generic.

You can have a bad starter...someone you don't consistently starting, but they may be good enough as a backup. If you can sign a marginal player for a few million and spend that million in another area of need, that marginal signing can help the team overall. It isn't just a matter of only signing "the good players"....you have to balance out the positions and invest in an area where it needs it the most. If Larsen was signed to start for 4 million a year that is probably a bad signing....but signing him for half that to ride the bench and invest that money in an area of need is a good signing.....Larsen has starting experience and was trusted to do so, but he won't be our starter. We got him for cheap and will use money elsewhere.....

You can grade the player which is fine, but the impact of the free agent signing is a slightly different beast than just assessing a player.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
just responding to what you directed at me...

Bad player is pretty generic.

You can have a bad starter...someone you don't consistently starting, but they may be good enough as a backup. If you can sign a marginal player for a few million and spend that million in another area of need, that marginal signing can help the team overall. It isn't just a matter of only signing "the good players"....you have to balance out the positions and invest in an area where it needs it the most. If Larsen was signed to start for 4 million a year that is probably a bad signing....but signing him for half that to ride the bench and invest that money in an area of need is a good signing.....Larsen has starting experience and was trusted to do so, but he won't be our starter. We got him for cheap and will use money elsewhere.....

You can grade the player which is fine, but the impact of the free agent signing is a slightly different beast than just assessing a player.

Larsen is a liability plain and simple. Again this is not just someone who had mediocre stats. This is someone who was one of the worst players at his position last year.

Again probably better off with UDFA or late round rookie but we shall see next year.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Larsen is a liability plain and simple. Again this is not just someone who had mediocre stats. This is someone who was one of the worst players at his position last year.

Again probably better off with UDFA or late round rookie but we shall see next year.

I suspect Larsen was brought in for his versatility. He can play G and C. He has starting experience and brought for next to nothing. I have not seen specific rankings but I do accept he is below average. To say some low level draft choice or USF’s would instantly be better is not support with any facts just random speculation.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Larsen hasn’t even made the team yetX

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Larsen hasn’t even made the team yetX

At a million dollars there is no guarantee he will. He is long time vet with versatility. It is certainly possible he gets cut if the bears find a better player but he is such a low impact signing that any grade is almost pointless. He fills a roster spot and adds some skills at center that were in short supply on the team.

jive

Liked Posts:
Skrine got a good contract from the Jets in the same situation as Callahan is in now while Callahan is still sitting on his hands. Skrine was great in the Nickle but the Jets moved him outside. How do you think Callahan does on an island? Compounding Skrine's move ot the outside is his height which helped cause those penalties when covering larger WRs.

The idea is that he'll return to being a VG Nickle CB that can sub outside in a pinch, something I wouldn't want to see Callahan do either. I'm not familiar enough with Skrine to push this narrative but thought it may add some perspective. Add availability to the mix and it's not difficult to understand the signing. His situation was sort of like OLB vs DE lining up at the opposite spot in the wrong D.
We have tape that shows that Callahan excelled at the Nickel position. We don't quite know what Skrine has done recently at NB, but we do know that he is highly penalized CB that also allows for a high passer rating in recent years. Skrine did once play well at NB, and I certainly hope he returns to that form. But that's an if right now, and that's why I consider him a downgrade. I certainly hope I am wrong, but based on what I've seen from both players, I can't help but consider Skrine a drop off in talent.

For me, Larsen is not a downgrade from Kush for this O and Larsen can stay on the field. When your backups can't play when needed, you're fucked. Kush also sucks when not moving forward. Better fit for Fox than Nagy.
I dunno. Larsen didn't perform well for us the last time around, and he was more highly touted back then. Not even sure if he would even be a fit anyway since he's a zone blocking OL, if I remember correctly. Although I hope to be wrong, I don't think Larsen has better availability. He missed half of 2017 on IR and he has lots of miles on his tread.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I suspect Larsen was brought in for his versatility. He can play G and C. He has starting experience and brought for next to nothing. I have not seen specific rankings but I do accept he is below average. To say some low level draft choice or USF’s would instantly be better is not support with any facts just random speculation.

Let me ask a question. What is your criteria for calling signing a backup a bad signing? Because if I can't call a guy that was arguably the worst inside lineman to play a lot last year a bad signing then I can't see how any back up signing would ever be considered bad. They would all basically get a good grade. Webb you get a good grade, Omiyale, you get a good grade, everyone gets a good grade.

And I did not say they would be instantly better. I said they probably would be better because kind of hard not to when the guy once again was arguably the worst inside lineman last year.

Finally, yes I am speculating as are you. You saying it is a good signing is speculation because nothing in his history suggests it was. We won't know that until he plays next year but my speculation that he sucks ass is certainly backed up by the historical performance to date.