Hawks acquire Tomas Jurco from Detroit

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
One thing I don't understand is why guys with this much skill seem attached to one side of the ice or the other. Kane too.

With that type of stick skill, I really feel your side should be ubiquitous, and at times if you are in a drought just flip sides and throw some different looks at not only them but at your own trigger points that start move sequences from a different place.

I'd like to see him with Hossa mostly because Hossa/Kruger would carry his weakness, and he could give them some legs a bit. If not Hossa, he is fascinating to put with Hino, or just to juice the 4th line any night you want.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here, "have a Hossa".

:)

I didn't know who Jurco was but its obvious he has finishing skill if given space. He is another Panik/Kane/Panarin/Hino/Depricat/Hossa stick freak extrordanire.
He will fit well with some forwards coming our way...Hayden and Bondra, as well as Toews, Smaltz, Hino, Panik, etc

There is no better destination for Jurco, which is why Detroit would break a cold war to do him right.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I didn't know who Jurco was but its obvious he has finishing skill if given space. He is another Panik/Kane/Panarin/Hino/Depricat/Hossa stick freak extrordanire.
He will fit well with some forwards coming our way...Hayden and Bondra, as well as Toews, Smaltz, Hino, Panik, etc

There is no better destination for Jurco, which is why Detroit would break a cold war to do him right.

I am confident he'll play well for us. He's been described as similar to Panik.

Yes, the Hawks are a very good landing spot. They have a habit of getting more out of wingers than what they produced elsewhere. I look forward to seeing where he'll line up.

I wasn't laughing at you for what you said. I loved how you said it.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
someone on score suggested this move happened to protect Hartman from expansion draft.

Exactly. Unless he starts lighting it up, it makes us exposure compliant without having to resign Dejardins or Tootoo.

Unless they try to protect TVR, and I could not for the life of me think of a reason for them to do so.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly. Unless he starts lighting it up, it makes us exposure compliant without having to resign Dejardins or Tootoo.

Unless they try to protect TVR, and I could not for the life of me think of a reason for them to do so.

Is this compliance thing requiring him to get 10 games active roster? I'm just curious what I am supposed to be looking at.

If so...he is a good guy to give 10 games exposure to and see if any chemistry happens. I thought he was incredibly soft on the puck, and when he got the puck the other team became incensed, swarmed him off the puck, and took it away.
He is a little long legged, and still young to where he has poor shielding ability to create the space he needs. He needs to keep moving at all times, keep skating and do fly bys, trust his skills to execute at speed on the move.

It happened enough to where I am certain the scouting report on him is the opposite of Kane, where they give him space or he will be by you. With Jurco, they attack and eliminate space and drive him off the puck, which he grades out at sub AHL level in skill. He is top 1% in stick skill, bottom 1% in possession ability. lol Just get a shoulder into his body, cramp his space, interfere with movement, and skate him off the puck. Way too easy.

We are getting a broken player on the fire sale, so we can't expect it would be so easy as just plug him in with some skill guys and off he goes. If the team doesn't take that approach...but instead reviews tape with him and shows him how these other guys are making a living with that skill...by keeping moving through all conflict...

we can hope something will click and he can start to move the puck when appropriate, and hold it when on the move. His quick pass game needs help...just whack it and keep moving. There is no time...

gotta figure out why he is regressing...his confidence is obviously shot...and his body is betraying him a bit and making him question himself. I'd be more hopeful in his reclamation if we get a whole off-season with him, and build him up through Rockford with some healthy competition, kinda just reset his career.

In terms of him helping in the playoffs...he would have to make some big quick adjustments, and in terms of both direction play I would put him considerably behind Tikinov in what he could bring us.

Overall, I am still curious, still hopeful. I want to see him get a chance to get comfortable. Watch a couple games, play a couple more and see if anything can come of his abilities before we go back to some of our impressive young grinders.

This is the right place for Jurko to see how hard our skill guys work and how tough they are, how much they sacrifice for the opportunities to flash a little skill. His upside surpasses TooToo by a mile, so having him in the farm to expose is brilliant, and he probably gets passed on so he will help Rockford with Debricat probably actually be an exciting team...for OHL standards those guys will be like having Gretsky and LeMeuix on the same team.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I thought Jurco looked solid last night considering it was his first game with the team... he might actually wind up contributing something.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought Jurco looked solid last night considering it was his first game with the team... he might actually wind up contributing something.

yeah...he is a tough player to place and it was his first experience without the luxury of practically even a practice. Putting him out there is asking your teammates to carry a bit extra defensively so that he can occassionally do something unpredictable on offense when he isn't hurting us.

Q isn't going to like him for a while, imo. He needs to not be so soft on the puck (it WAS THE BLUES THOUGH, TVR found out too for example)...he lost too many possessions needlessly to not be frustrating next to Hossa.

I'm still on the fence, but I've got one leg off and viewing this as a brilliant exposure...and maybe something comes of it next year after he has some more time to recover and gets comfortable in the system and works on his weaknesses in this system.

The thing you like is he can skate well when he wasn't thinking too much, and you will never worry about his finishing hands or predictability.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Is this compliance thing requiring him to get 10 games active roster? I'm just curious what I am supposed to be looking at.

If so...he is a good guy to give 10 games exposure to and see if any chemistry happens. I thought he was incredibly soft on the puck, and when he got the puck the other team became incensed, swarmed him off the puck, and took it away.
He is a little long legged, and still young to where he has poor shielding ability to create the space he needs. He needs to keep moving at all times, keep skating and do fly bys, trust his skills to execute at speed on the move.

It happened enough to where I am certain the scouting report on him is the opposite of Kane, where they give him space or he will be by you. With Jurco, they attack and eliminate space and drive him off the puck, which he grades out at sub AHL level in skill. He is top 1% in stick skill, bottom 1% in possession ability. lol Just get a shoulder into his body, cramp his space, interfere with movement, and skate him off the puck. Way too easy.

We are getting a broken player on the fire sale, so we can't expect it would be so easy as just plug him in with some skill guys and off he goes. If the team doesn't take that approach...but instead reviews tape with him and shows him how these other guys are making a living with that skill...by keeping moving through all conflict...

we can hope something will click and he can start to move the puck when appropriate, and hold it when on the move. His quick pass game needs help...just whack it and keep moving. There is no time...

gotta figure out why he is regressing...his confidence is obviously shot...and his body is betraying him a bit and making him question himself. I'd be more hopeful in his reclamation if we get a whole off-season with him, and build him up through Rockford with some healthy competition, kinda just reset his career.

In terms of him helping in the playoffs...he would have to make some big quick adjustments, and in terms of both direction play I would put him considerably behind Tikinov in what he could bring us.

Overall, I am still curious, still hopeful. I want to see him get a chance to get comfortable. Watch a couple games, play a couple more and see if anything can come of his abilities before we go back to some of our impressive young grinders.

This is the right place for Jurko to see how hard our skill guys work and how tough they are, how much they sacrifice for the opportunities to flash a little skill. His upside surpasses TooToo by a mile, so having him in the farm to expose is brilliant, and he probably gets passed on so he will help Rockford with Debricat probably actually be an exciting team...for OHL standards those guys will be like having Gretsky and LeMeuix on the same team.
10 games (now 9) means that Jurco meets the exposur requirements. If he didn't meet it then another player would have to be exposed. So it's not commonplace because expansions don't happen often ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
10 games (now 9) means that Jurco meets the exposur requirements. If he didn't meet it then another player would have to be exposed. So it's not commonplace because expansions don't happen often ;)

Thank you....and I am going to assume that means active roster and not actual playing time. Bowman recognized this and wanted to get it started before having to find time to maybe get Debricat, Bondra, Hayden, Motte, McNeil some playing time down the home stretch.

I'm expecting he only gets 2-3 starts with some days off in between to observe, but maybe we ride that little engine for what its worth for 10 games to help his rehab and getting back...then give him a long off-season and if Vegas don't bite...I'd like to see what he can become next year.

Also...there is some wisdom in giving him as much PT as possible to see if he can find form in that window.

He needs to surpass Hino or both Des/Ras though. Its incredibly doubtful he can bring all that Hino brings in two months...and he doesn't give us what Des/Ras do...though he would be a matchup change-up to throw in their stead.

It looks like Bowman is resting Hino for a minute while finding a better exposure for Hartman. Hartman was worth doubling down on with an additional third round pick investment, so it doesn't matter if Jurco ever regains that hope.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thank you....and I am going to assume that means active roster and not actual playing time. Bowman recognized this and wanted to get it started before having to find time to maybe get Debricat, Bondra, Hayden, Motte, McNeil some playing time down the home stretch.
I believe it means he's on the roster and in the game, not scratched.
I think it was more of (a) someone on the 'hawks wanted him, (b) a hedged bet he'd improve the bottom 6, and (c) insurance that they wouldn't have to expose Hartman or resign Dejardins and tootoo

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Edit: Nevermind. I realize what you mean by needing 9 more to make the requirement of 70 total for prior two. So that part I get. The "10 games" thing was throwing me off.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
BENNY'S!??! BENNNNNNY'S!!!

It's BINNY'S MOTHER FUCKERS.

Jesus christ can't you even watch commercials right.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe it means he's on the roster and in the game, not scratched.
I think it was more of (a) someone on the 'hawks wanted him, (b) a hedged bet he'd improve the bottom 6, and (c) insurance that they wouldn't have to expose Hartman or resign Dejardins and tootoo

I think it is quite reasonable that its Hossa who wants Kruger and its Hossa that knew of Jurco's situation, or him being shopped, and asked for him too given the national team connection. I don't care if he plays or sits, I think the kid is a worthwhile investment and more than capable of giving minutes, playing into his better form, and learning from new team/system/coaches how to be a more complete hockey player. He takes offense to the youtube fame, and wants to just be a complete hockey player and respected as one of the guys. You can see in his interviews he has lost the brash confidence, and now its time for him to hopefully find real confidence he can be a two way hockey player with a team that will require that of him while at the same time putting his skill into favorable offensive positions surrounded by players that can capitalize on it and set him up too.

I'm stoked about it, I was just curious about trusting the playing time he was being given as a playoff relavent choice...or something we had to do? Because he has alot to prove to me to take a spot from Hino.

PUshing Desjardins/Rasmussen/Kero(by sliding Hino to center and being better at wing than Kero is at center) are more realistic entry points into the lineup if he were to find some points with Hossa.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Let him play with Hossa awhile. Puck Possession = Hossa. Maybe some will rub off on him?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let him play with Hossa awhile. Puck Possession = Hossa. Maybe some will rub off on him?

Without running the Corsi...it was the worst line last night whether with Kruger or Kero. Jurco got bullied every time he touched the puck, they went after him and mugged him. They got under Hartman's skin a bit...and TVR, and cooled Smaltz down as the game went on too. Its the Blues. I need to see more for sure but I came from game one with lukewarm expectations and more happy for the kid getting quality time with his national hero during his comeback from back issues, and his opportunity to fit in with winning hockey for a bit than viewing this as of now as changing the playoff lineup more than a change up or two against an odd looking 4th line or something.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it is quite reasonable that its Hossa who wants Kruger and its Hossa that knew of Jurco's situation, or him being shopped, and asked for him too given the national team connection. I don't care if he plays or sits, I think the kid is a worthwhile investment and more than capable of giving minutes, playing into his better form, and learning from new team/system/coaches how to be a more complete hockey player. He takes offense to the youtube fame, and wants to just be a complete hockey player and respected as one of the guys. You can see in his interviews he has lost the brash confidence, and now its time for him to hopefully find real confidence he can be a two way hockey player with a team that will require that of him while at the same time putting his skill into favorable offensive positions surrounded by players that can capitalize on it and set him up too.

I'm stoked about it, I was just curious about trusting the playing time he was being given as a playoff relavent choice...or something we had to do? Because he has alot to prove to me to take a spot from Hino.

PUshing Desjardins/Rasmussen/Kero(by sliding Hino to center and being better at wing than Kero is at center) are more realistic entry points into the lineup if he were to find some points with Hossa.

Please explain the bold. I hadn't heard anything about it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Please explain the bold. I hadn't heard anything about it.

In some of the interviews his teammates refer to his play when asked as "a youtube guy"....this is a something Jurco says bothers him and he wants to be a complete hockey player.

There are interviews with him during his comeback, and he recent play in detroit and he feels reserved and a bit down. He is trying to make his way. He has found chemistry with a pairing before...just a matter of time before he and Hossa connect.

He has a collection of stick trick, highlight goals, and penalty shots that are popular on youtube.