Interesting article on the Bears offense

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I saw this article this morning that talks about the Bears 2018 offense. I really liked the graphs that showed how they produced in each zone of rushing and passing and then how they rated relative to the rest of the league.

https://dabearsblog.com/2019/self-scouting-chicagos-2018-offense
Not sure if Yards per attempt are the most important way to measure an offense in the rushing attack. Even the author acknowledged that a 2 yard carry on 3rd and 1 is a success, but reduces the overall average. I'm sure there are a ton of ways to break down the run game. For Example running off Left Tackle yielded a 4.4 Yard per Carry average, BUT when the author compares that to the Down and Distance, it was the worst place to run for the Bears last year...

Howard simply did not get rolling like in previous year, and maybe that was due to O-line, number of snaps, predictability, whatever it was, this offense is usually based off a fresh pair of legs coming in and producing results without having to "warm up" with several carries. In my eyes that is why Howard was traded, they need a ball carrier that is able to perform his best when he is fresh. They rotate the RBs to keep them fresh, Howard does not fit that mold....

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I think its amazing the Bears YPC was so bad considering Trubisky had 68 carries and a 6.2 YPC. The article kind of said this, but the only reason the Bears appeared to be effective running outside was due to Trubisky averaging 8+ yards on his scrambles. Otherwise Cohen really wasn't much more effective/ineffective than Howard.

We've kind of glossed over what could be the whole issue...despite bizarre metrics and PFF ratings and CCS love...perhaps the Bears OL just sucks, regardless of who is going to be the RB?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think its amazing the Bears YPC was so bad considering Trubisky had 68 carries and a 6.2 YPC. The article kind of said this, but the only reason the Bears appeared to be effective running outside was due to Trubisky averaging 8+ yards on his scrambles. Otherwise Cohen really wasn't much more effective/ineffective than Howard.

We've kind of glossed over what could be the whole issue...despite bizarre metrics and PFF ratings and CCS love...perhaps the Bears OL just sucks, regardless of who is going to be the RB?

They definitely weren't a good run blocking unit last year. To make matters worse, every time Cohen ran the ball--the defense just simply would try to stop him from getting around the OT's and would stretch the play out for minimal gain. The few holes Howard had--he simply didnt have the burst to get thru the hole for a big gain, he'd be tackled before the 2nd level.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
The Bears OL was overrated last season. They were ok. Mitch covered a lot of their issues with his scrambling.
The first 3/4 of the season was pretty bad all around for blocking, WR's included. Then of course the Rams game, they were blocking their asses off, dominating them for most the game. There's something to work with, they just need to get better at it, whether that's Nagy's play calling or what.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yea..the Bears OL was terrible last year. This magical Notre Dame oline coach was overrated.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont think they were overrated. I think they were average. Last year was all about that defense and the promise of #10. I'm shocked we stood pat on the line in the draft.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

The OL is definitely on the downswing.

Hampton fingers

Liked Posts:
Trubisky lining up in the shotgun with no play action doesn’t help either. It’s predictable and didn’t fit for Howard.

YAC was way down from Howard so it wasn’t just an OL issue. Cohen trying to stretch the field without hitting a gap and going to the sidelines was normal occurrence.

mecha

Liked Posts:
run game took a bit of a nosedive when Long went out. tackles might be decent but the interior gets a little suspect beyond the starters. I don't even remember what changed between now and like 2016 anymore.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Not sure if Yards per attempt are the most important way to measure an offense in the rushing attack. Even the author acknowledged that a 2 yard carry on 3rd and 1 is a success, but reduces the overall average. I'm sure there are a ton of ways to break down the run game. For Example running off Left Tackle yielded a 4.4 Yard per Carry average, BUT when the author compares that to the Down and Distance, it was the worst place to run for the Bears last year...

Howard simply did not get rolling like in previous year, and maybe that was due to O-line, number of snaps, predictability, whatever it was, this offense is usually based off a fresh pair of legs coming in and producing results without having to "warm up" with several carries. In my eyes that is why Howard was traded, they need a ball carrier that is able to perform his best when he is fresh. They rotate the RBs to keep them fresh, Howard does not fit that mold....

I agree with a lot of that post. To me it's even more simple than that, with Howard in the backfield the Bears were too predictable. Nagy refuses to be predictable, I mean he genuinely hates that shit, you could tell that was killing him last season. That's why Howard had to go, being too predictable based on who the HB is shouldn't be a problem this season.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
...To make matters worse, every time Cohen ran the ball--the defense just simply would try to stop him from getting around the OT's and would stretch the play out for minimal gain.
Trubisky lining up in the shotgun with no play action doesn’t help either. It’s predictable and didn’t fit for Howard.

YAC was way down from Howard so it wasn’t just an OL issue. Cohen trying to stretch the field without hitting a gap and going to the sidelines was normal occurrence.

Yes - far too predictable. Not Howard's fault, or Cohen's. This is exactly the lack of fit to Nagy's offense that we keep hearing about with Howard, yet still more media/fans ignorantly cryin' about Howard being traded...just like they do whenever an established star is let go...regardless of contract $, age, and/or declining performance. I wonder if NE fans do this up there? :unsure:

yea..the Bears OL was terrible last year. This magical Notre Dame oline coach was overrated.

Please post a link, stats, or something. Sounds a bit pessimistic and baseless otherwise.
Great? NO. Terrible? No.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, of note when some talk about Howard's rushing numbers going up in his last 5 games...

True - he did a bit better because they changed their blocking scheme. An unintended result (direct or not), is the offensive scoring and yards/game plummeted.

Another consequence of being predictable. DL's cue into every little thing they see.
During those last 5 games, while Howard made a few more yards when he DID run, defenses were able to know which plays he was NOT about to run, and the passing game suffered.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I've was saying this all season. The inside of our line kinda sucked last year. Both Gs positions had issues so the center couldn't cover for both of them. That neither Howard nor Cohen would take an inside seam and bounced everything didn't help. Mizzell kinda looked for those but his running style is hesitate and find dirt. That line also had a negative effect on Trubs who saved a lot of plays/drives. He needs to improve his overall passing game but he was more effective for the overall O than many give him credit for. We were dead midpack for 1st downs last year while our passing game and RB run production were below average. Mitch's legs took up that slack. He supplied over 30 yards and 2 1sts per game on the ground, many of which would have been sacks with another QB. He still took 24 sacks but even those averaged under 6 yards and lower than known scramblers like Wilson, Watson, Wentz, Rodgers, Brees and Prescott. Helps prevent it kill a drive.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears best OL was never really on the field together.

Why we even bothered to play Kush is beyond me, even with Daniels growing pains moments he was 100x better than Kush.

Witzmann at RG, while he did an admirable job for a street free agent, was a real weak link on the line. His run blocking was a huge issue most of the season.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
The Bears best OL was never really on the field together.

How could it be when Kyle Long is a member? The Bears were INCREDIBLY fortuitous in avoiding injury last year...they were 2nd in fewest games lost to the Bills. Massie, Leno, Whitehair, Daniels...all healthy the entire season. Wow.

Its not an issue of "whoa...the Bears OL just keeps getting decimated by injury"...its an issue of the Bears OL production doesn't measure up to the accolades/ratings.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Big playbook and Daniels was learning a new spot so I get it even though he's physically superior. Yup, Kush and Witzmann sucked but activating Long in place of Witzmann for the playoff game was also a mistake. Started the season weak and in poor condition and looked like a bowling ball at years end. Still our best option when healthy but not being able to work in the offseason again took its toll.

I do think we started our best players at the time in Sept. but it simply wasn't that good last year. This year should be a different story with the same players we ended the year with.