IST Cubs @ White Sox

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
No one knows which teams are interested. It's all rumors. All kinds of stuff gets floated to up the price. It may not be out of the question, but it makes little sense to replace a player with another that isn't an improvement. Utley isn't having a good year. He's hitting .213 and the guy you want to trade away is much younger and hitting .239.

Utley doesn't strikeout like Castro either. Utley takes walks and gets on base. Utley isn't tied to 40 million more in salary. Utley has been to the dance and won it. Utley is also batting .500 in the month of August.

So, I think giving a veteran like that a shot to prove that his struggles early this year were a fluke and not the norm, and that he just might be worth a roll of the dice.

The worst thing out of all of this might be that Baez and LaStella take over at 2B next year, and they could use Castro's contract in the future to aide for a much greater needed area to me, which is a TOR pitcher.

Probably won't happen anyways.......so.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Utley doesn't strikeout like Castro either. Utley takes walks and gets on base. Utley isn't tied to 40 million more in salary. Utley has been to the dance and won it. Utley is also batting .500 in the month of August.

So, I think giving a veteran like that a shot to prove that his struggles early this year were a fluke and not the norm, and that he just might be worth a roll of the dice.

The worst thing out of all of this might be that Baez and LaStella take over at 2B next year, and they could use Castro's contract in the future to aide for a much greater needed area to me, which is a TOR pitcher.

Castro's contract is an albatross? That's an argument for an Utley trade? Just at the start of the season Castro's contract was attractive and team friendly.

The Cubs already have players on the roster who have been in the playoffs and won championships. What they need is more pitching. A better use of Castro in a trade is in the off season for pitching.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
And while we're looking at it, I'll eat a little crow, because Baez is going to be a September callup. I'd rather see Baez get AB's in September than a rental.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I would trade Baez and 3 others for Sale. That dude deserves to be on a team going in the right direction.

Sale then Arrieta. Filthy
And we would politely decline, hang up pleasantly and then wet our pants from laughter.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Fan graphs did a bit on utley. He had a injury last offseason the screwed with his mechanics. He was using his upper body too much. His exit speed was avg 85 mph. After his DL stint it has gone up to around 98 mph avg as he is using his lower body properly again.

What does that mean to the Cubs? Nothing as 2B is fine right now. This team needs nothing other than for what they have to produce

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I tried, but I don't even think my retort could top your OP

To be honest. Sox need more talent in general to go forward. Selling Sale is a wise move for them. They still have 2 quality starters and there are guys like Leake on the market next year. Little more stable than Shark to split the lefties. Sale should net 2 prime prospects and 2 quality adds. The only guys in the Cubs system that would suffice at this time would be Baez, McKinney, Dylan Cease and Carson Sands in a package.

willycat

Liked Posts:
Would bet that Sale would relish a trade from that no fan support, bandbox, tax payer park somewhere on the south side. Now go change your undies.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
To be honest. Sox need more talent in general to go forward. Selling Sale is a wise move for them. They still have 2 quality starters and there are guys like Leake on the market next year. Little more stable than Shark to split the lefties. Sale should net 2 prime prospects and 2 quality adds. The only guys in the Cubs system that would suffice at this time would be Baez, McKinney, Dylan Cease and Carson Sands in a package.

I agree with your thoughts, I just know that the offer that the Cubs could put together is quite a bit short.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Would bet that Sale would relish a trade from that no fan support, bandbox, tax payer park somewhere on the south side. Now go change your undies.

He actually loves it on the south side. He does lament having poor fan support though.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

What? Sorry Boo, but you are just looking at a name and not a player anymore. Have you watched him play? He is a complete shell of his former self. He is a broken down old ball player that had a fantastic career that is almost over. Switching team doesn't just change a player. He isn't going anywhere that he is not playing almost full time. That means your gonna bench Coughlan and Castro for him? No. Not at all.

He K's less. Ok and Castro isn't a big K guy either. He is at 16.4 percent. That is low in this league. Castro may get traded, but people need to stop acting like he needs to be put out to pasture. He is going to hit again in this league. You don't lose it at 25 with his track record. His issue is he isn't splitting the gaps like he use to. Castro went from a top 5 SS last year to lets get rid of him for a bucket of balls.

Yet again, Castro was worth over 21 million last year according to fangraphs. He is -6.6 million this year. The Cubs are still ahead. I can see Castro getting traded in the off season now. But, I am not trading him for nothing. If thats the case, I would work with him all off season at second base and have him coming into next year as our second baseman or could be third baseman. It depends if his stick comes back and my guess is it will.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with your thoughts, I just know that the offer that the Cubs could put together is quite a bit short.

What exactly do you think teams would give up for him? They just re did the farm rankings. The Cubs still have the 4th best farm system after all the promotions. I highly doubt we don't have enough for Sale.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
What exactly do you think teams would give up for him? They just re did the farm rankings. The Cubs still have the 4th best farm system after all the promotions. I highly doubt we don't have enough for Sale.

So kyle is on the table? Kyle was part of the rankings in case you missed that.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So kyle is on the table? Kyle was part of the rankings in case you missed that.

Oh Im sorry, Take him off and they still rank in the top 10. You still didn't answer the main point of my question?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Oh Im sorry, Take him off and they still rank in the top 10. You still didn't answer the main point of my question?

1) I do not think they do at all.
2) I think Sale is bringing back two TOR specs plus a young promising MLBer and two additional top 150 specs. I think that would be the starting point.

The Cubs do not have TOR specs.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
1) I do not think they do at all.
2) I think Sale is bringing back two TOR specs plus a young promising MLBer and two additional top 150 specs. I think that would be the starting point.

The Cubs do not have TOR specs.
Maybe im wrong but if you have 1 or 2 TOR guy in your system, why would you trade them for an older and higher cost one?

So, i dont think anyone giving up a TOR kid or two for him..

I personally dont think the sox would even answer the phone if the cubs called for Sales.. no way they give him up to their cross town rival. .
But for sake of what would it take from cubs..

If the Sox want a true young team, the cubs could offer up a few decent kids. . Ill just list who the sox could be interested in to choose from..

Pitchers

Edwards, Johnson, Underwood, Sands, Black, Riveto, Stinnett, Mejia, Hendricks, Tseng, jokisch, Rosscup, Strop, Wood

Position players

Castro, Alcantara, Zagunis, Caratini, Vogelbach, Almora, McKinney , Olt, Villanueva, Szczur

im sure 4 or 5 of these guys would interest the sox for Sales if they were looking to start over