IST Cubs @ White Sox

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We were never really a favorite. We were curious. He wants to play full time and I don't think the Cubs saw that as a possibility.

I was thinking the same thing. I mean you got a 36 yr old guy who's barely hanging onto his career coming to a new team wanting guarantees of position and playing time? I really think he's over estimating his value.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Utley never made that much sense to me

Especially now that Castro is on the bench it makes even less. In a couple weeks Baez will be on his way up as I assume he's going to be a September call-up. No need to have 4 guys playing 2B. If this was 5 years ago, it would be a different story, Utley is hardly an upgrade at this point

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
The Cubs eat salary and just give Castro away. Some team is going to turn out with a steal. Quote me on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Castro is traded in the off-season, I will bet that cash goes along with him. No one in their right mind is going to pay Castro 55 million remaining, and 16 million in year 2020 after the dismal year he has had unless it is a swap of risky contracts. It is also two of the last three years so it is not just a fluke. It is a red flag.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Castro is traded in the off-season, I will bet that cash goes along with him. No one in their right mind is going to pay Castro 55 million remaining, and 16 million in year 2020 after the dismal year he has had unless it is a swap of risky contracts. It is also two of the last three years so it is not just a fluke. It is a red flag.

Almost a 3 fWAR in 3 out 5 full seasons. Worth the risk at age 25.

And also, let me break it down.

8 million next year
10 million the year after that
11 million the next
12 million the next
16 million team option with 1 mill buyout.

Yet again, according to fangraphs, he has been worth over 20 million 3 out of 5 full seasons. He is going to be a steal for someone if traded.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
S. Yes he has had a high war value. But he doesn't fit the profile that theo has been building. Plus D and strong OBA skills. He is shakey at both on a good year.

There was a reason why they traded for Russell and now they just went and gave SS to him. He fits the wanted profile.

Really noting to do with value. All about preference.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
S. Yes he has had a high war value. But he doesn't fit the profile that theo has been building. Plus D and strong OBA skills. He is shakey at both on a good year.

There was a reason why they traded for Russell and now they just went and gave SS to him. He fits the wanted profile.

Really noting to do with value. All about preference.
Believe what SilenceS is saying, their not just going to give Castro away for nothing , or even a 36 YO rental for a month.

Come off season they will get a good return for Castro , even if it part of a package deal..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I get that. He has solid value. He would fit on many teams but his return value in trade pieces will less than desired.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Believe what SilenceS is saying, their not just going to give Castro away for nothing , or even a 36 YO rental for a month.

Come off season they will get a good return for Castro , even if it part of a package deal..

Who said they were going to give him away? I said that they would eat some of his contract to get out from underneath it.

He may have some value, but if you think it is a lot, you are sadly mistaken.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I get that. He has solid value. He would fit on many teams but his return value in trade pieces will less than desired.
Maybe now.. but come off season teams will focus more on his age , salary, and what he done overall as a player. .

you always get a couple teams thinking he might fit well with them and play better with change of scenery

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Who said they were going to give him away? I said that they would eat some of his contract to get out from underneath it.

He may have some value, but if you think it is a lot, you are sadly mistaken.

No, unfortunately his value probably peaked last winter and the Cubs seemingly asked the world for him (Syndergaard and deGrom according to a couple of reports). He'll be worth a bit more in the offseason than he was at the deadline though. Career numbers are considered a bit more and if a team likes him they know they can have their coaches work with him through a whole ST. Still I think the Cubs will have to pick up some of the contract and his max value will be in a package. On his own he's just not going to get much.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No, unfortunately his value probably peaked last winter and the Cubs seemingly asked the world for him (Syndergaard and deGrom according to a couple of reports). He'll be worth a bit more in the offseason than he was at the deadline though. Career numbers are considered a bit more and if a team likes him they know they can have their coaches work with him through a whole ST. Still I think the Cubs will have to pick up some of the contract and his max value will be in a package. On his own he's just not going to get much.

Do you really think his contract is an obstacle? I mean if he continues to play like he is, then yeah but if he bounces back (which I think he will) his contract is actually not bad for an All-Star SS....it only gets crazy in 2020 but there's also a club option involved at that point. Plus he's being a big time team guy in taking his demotion to the bench which says a lot about his make up which has been somewhat questionable at times in the past. You can also toss in the fact that he looks promising at 2B as well...with a bit of work, that's two spots he could fill for someone in need of middle infield help.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Do you really think his contract is an obstacle? I mean if he continues to play like he is, then yeah but if he bounces back (which I think he will) his contract is actually not bad for an All-Star SS....it only gets crazy in 2020 but there's also a club option involved at that point. Plus he's being a big time team guy in taking his demotion to the bench which says a lot about his make up which has been somewhat questionable at times in the past. You can also toss in the fact that he looks promising at 2B as well...with a bit of work, that's two spots he could fill for someone in need of middle infield help.

I do. Teams are going to have leverage and are going to try to get the best deal they can. The Cubs are not really in a position to bring him back even at 2B, if he fails again they'll be left with nothing but a bad contract. They'll likely grin and bear it and pick up some of the cost for him to try again in another uniform. Personally I think he has a good chance of succeeding. Sometimes a tough ride like this will spur on a player and there's no question that at 26 he still has the skills that everyone has seen in the past. There is also no question that it is time to move on, on both sides.