Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Stop having an opinion and put on your rose colored glasses.

Opinions are like assholes....everybody's got one.

I'm not even a Heyward guy but I'll stick with a proven winner like Maddon over the simplistic musings of a schmuck fan.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Again, we've been waiting on him to break out for 3 years now...

I agree he defense is valuable in RF but damn let have a pulse at the plate..

Happ last 78 AB
.282 .404 .603

Heyward last 96 AB
.219 .303 .344

Yes Happ defense isnt stellar but he gives them a whole lot more production at the plate over Heyward..

Plus

In order to play Heyward for his defense only, you're taking Almora out who gives them that defense and the bat to get Happ his playing time in CF

So it becomes which would you prefer to see more of..

Almora in CF
Happ/Zobrist in RF

OR

Happ in CF
Heyward in RF

You're missing the point. It's not your either or question. It's play the guys who make the most sense based on the given day. That's literally what Maddon is doing. Your facing a LHP? Keep Heyward out of the line up and play whomever you deem worthy in RF be it Zobrist or Happ. Playing a tough RHP? Play Heyward in RF and either Happ/Almora in CF(probably hap tbqh). Playing a mediocre RHP? Play Almora and Heyward. And so on. You mix and match the line up to suit the situation. You don't build a monolithic line up that never changes. It's the whole damn reason teams use platoon splits in the first place. The cubs just have several guys who are better than "platoon players."

Put it this way, would you rather Almora, Happ/Zobrist play every day including their 100-150 worst PA match ups in a given year or would you rather see everyone get 400-500 PAs with their best possible PA match ups? What good is playing Almora/Happ in match ups you know they will do poorly in? I suppose you could argue it's a learning experience but there's literally just some guys even amazing hitters will never hit well against. Maybe it's because they don't see the ball well. Maybe it's because the pitcher's pitches neutralize areas of the plate that are the players strengths..... whatever. But the point here is it doesn't do anyone good to send them out there vs a pitcher you know they have a good chance of going 0-4 vs.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You are reasoning that Heyward should be out because if he is in, Almora MUST be out.....but that is only if they cater to your whims of playing Happ. You talk in circles, and just don't let it go.
I said what id prefer...

Almora should play most everyday in CF

Happ should start in RF with Zobrist getting his occasional starts in RF along with starting in LF 2B 3B to give those guys days off..

Heyward belongs on the bench getting his occasional starts like LaStella gets and used mostly as defensive replacement late in games..

That what I'd like to see happen

No circles there..pretty simple

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You're missing the point. It's not your either or question. It's play the guys who make the most sense based on the given day. That's literally what Maddon is doing. Your facing a LHP? Keep Heyward out of the line up and play whomever you deem worthy in RF be it Zobrist or Happ. Playing a tough RHP? Play Heyward in RF and either Happ/Almora in CF(probably hap tbqh). Playing a mediocre RHP? Play Almora and Heyward. And so on. You mix and match the line up to suit the situation. You don't build a monolithic line up that never changes. It's the whole damn reason teams use platoon splits in the first place. The cubs just have several guys who are better than "platoon players."

Put it this way, would you rather Almora, Happ/Zobrist play every day including their 100-150 worst PA match ups in a given year or would you rather see everyone get 400-500 PAs with their best possible PA match ups? What good is playing Almora/Happ in match ups you know they will do poorly in? I suppose you could argue it's a learning experience but there's literally just some guys even amazing hitters will never hit well against. Maybe it's because they don't see the ball well. Maybe it's because the pitcher's pitches neutralize areas of the plate that are the players strengths..... whatever. But the point here is it doesn't do anyone good to send them out there vs a pitcher you know they have a good chance of going 0-4 vs.

That is so right. That's the thing a lot people don't get. They post stats for the last 10 games....that means nothing. Those days have come and gone. The manager doesn't give a crap what the guy did yesterday or last week....he's looking at what he can do TODAY.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
As much as I have always liked Bob Costas, he's pretty average at best as baseball play by play.

He has certainly belabored the point about the shift. Starting to get like a likable version of McCarver, explaining everything as though we're all seeing our first game.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

I'd prefer to see Almora Happ and Zobrist playing everyday against any match ups giving what they give, then seeing Heyward continuous struggle at the plate...

Vs RH starters

Heyward .677 OPS

Almora .737 OPS

Happ .933 OPS

Zobrist
.684 OPS vs RH
1.020 OPS vs LH

chibears55

Liked Posts:
OK.
D doesn't matter.
Play Happ.
Nobody said defense didnt matter but hell sometimes he got to give more then playing good defense ..

IF

Defense was that important to justify playing him all the time despite his crappy bat, then what the reason to sit Almora most the time..

It ain't because he struggles against RHers, he hits them better then Heyward has

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'd prefer to see Almora Happ and Zobrist playing everyday against any match ups giving what they give, then seeing Heyward continuous struggle at the plate...

Vs RH starters

Heyward .677 OPS

Almora .737 OPS

Happ .933 OPS

Zobrist
.684 OPS vs RH
1.020 OPS vs LH

Then I don't want to hear another word from you about hitting with RISP the rest of the season.... Happ is hitting .200 with RISP. Zobrist is hitting .240. Almora and heyward are both decent at .280 and .286 respectively.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Then I don't want to hear another word from you about hitting with RISP the rest of the season.... Happ is hitting .200 with RISP. Zobrist is hitting .240. Almora and heyward are both decent at .280 and .286 respectively.
Dont know how he has a .280 Avg, must be from beginning of season, he had 14 RBI in his first 18 games ..
He got 4 RBI in last 51 AB and those came the other day against the Reds..

Their all hitting crappy with RISP now

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The great Adam Pluto
Career
11 IP 4.91 ERA 1.18 WHIP
No hitting the cubs at WF on a warm night

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Didn't know that was allowed..

Someone in dugout being able to hold a guy so he can make a catch

Never seen it before..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs hitters about to hit rock bottom tonight...
No hit through 6