It's Down to Cespedes or Upton!!

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Three obvious reasons to sign Cespedes:

1) The Sox need an OF with an elite powerbat.
2) Cespedes is the only OF with an elite powerbat available.
3) They won't have to give up a draft pick to get him.

4 years @ $25MM per is all it would take. The only thing stopping a deal is Jerry being too tight with his money. That probably translates to another "plan b" signing for the White Sox, with more mediocre lineups and wasted seasons ahead.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Cespedes would be a huge addition to the White Sox. I'd be thrilled, as long as he stays away from the Mets.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Where are y'all reading Cespedes to the Sox? Ive seen rumors but I haven't seen them as major players. I read they capped out at 3 years and that wasn't going to get it done. The Mets are trying to sell him on one year. The Orioles supposedly had a 90 million dollar contract proposed to him but people think thats off the table now. Peter Gammons is reporting that a couple of executives said don't sleep on Houston.

All and all. I feel whoever gets Justin Upton is going to get a steal.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
IF all this is a tease then I'm going to be pissed.If this comes down to refusing to give the guy an extra year, this is going to be stupid of them. With all the damn money that Reinny has and the chance to get a relatively young outfielder with an impact bat to pretty much complete a very imposing line-up, this should be a no brainer.

I hope that I am wrong but I have little confidence that Reinny will approve the move and this is what is very frustrating about this franchise. Their division is winnable but taking half measures will not make them able to challenge KC and beat the other teams and maybe get into the wild card spot. With the top three starting pitchers that we have, this team could be pretty strong with three great starting pitchers in a short series.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Upton signed with Detroit tonight. So it's Cespedes or bust now.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Where are y'all reading Cespedes to the Sox? Ive seen rumors but I haven't seen them as major players. I read they capped out at 3 years and that wasn't going to get it done. The Mets are trying to sell him on one year. The Orioles supposedly had a 90 million dollar contract proposed to him but people think thats off the table now. Peter Gammons is reporting that a couple of executives said don't sleep on Houston.

All and all. I feel whoever gets Justin Upton is going to get a steal.
All reports are still the White Sox are odds on favorite to land him still.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
All reports are still the White Sox are odds on favorite to land him still.

Link to the reports because the reports I have read say they were not because they wouldn't go above 3 years? The market has shrunk now so it could be different, but the Mets seem to be the favorite to a lot of people.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Link to the reports because the reports I have read say they were not because they wouldn't go above 3 years? The market has shrunk now so it could be different, but the Mets seem to be the favorite to a lot of people.

No one is favored to sign Cespedes, but there are teams seriously interested. The White Sox are one of those teams. No one here has said otherwise.

It would be nuts for him to sign a 1-yr contract with the Mets after the season he had last year. Upton and Gordon's contract pretty much rules that option out.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No one is favored to sign Cespedes, but there are teams seriously interested. The White Sox are one of those teams. No one here has said otherwise.

Post 8 of this thread. You should read that over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
The pressure is on... if the Sox don't sign him, you're looking at Dexter Fowler or some other "plan b" option.

The acquisitions of Frazier and Lawrie were long overdue. And I still feel they will have failed if they don't get Cespedes.

Don't tell me you want to contend with that outfield. Sox fans know better.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Exactly! I do think someone will have to go 3 years, question is, will the Sox make that commitment??

Apparently, the Sox said they would only go 3 years max on a deal for Cespedes. So If that's the case, he'd have been signed by now.

Since he wants 5 years, split the difference and give him 3 years with a club option for a 4th @ $25MM per. Or give him 4 years outright with incentives for around $23MM per...protects the team and gives the player some security.

Come on Hahn, you're getting fired one way or another if the Sox go sub .500 again anyway. Might as well let your nuts hang and tell "The Chairman" where he can shove it if he says no.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They should sign Fowler and Cespedes. Both players are at bargain prices because of the outfield market. Load up now!!! What the fuck are you waiting for?

Why don't they want his bat for 5 years? What is the risk? He can rake, has always raked, will rake.

This franchise is a joke. Goddamnit. We are cursed to endure by the location of our birth and undeserved loyalty. So stupid, cuz the only time that stadium is full is when there is s good product. Foolish all around.

You have an elite ace, and a young phenom 1B. SPEND!!!