Joe Maddon: most exhausting man in baseball

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Im just confused. Did you have a point?

What? Did you read thread title/watch video/hear commentary? What is confusing to you? It can't be put in any clearer or simpler terms.

Did someone claim that Joe Maddon doesn't do his job, hence your response, but you were responding in the wrong thread?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What? Did you read thread title/watch video/hear commentary? What is confusing to you? It can't be put in any clearer or simpler terms.

Did someone claim that Joe Maddon doesn't do his job, hence your response, but you were responding in the wrong thread?
I asked you a question and you didnt answer

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I asked you a question and you didnt answer

OK, here goes!

Thread title = Joe Maddon, most exhausting man in baseball

Video = Anthony Rizzo CLEARLY swinging on a HBP, and the home plate ump egregiously awards Rizzo 1B. Umps conference, and call is changed to the correct Rizzo swinging/third strike. Maddon then comes out and argues for a few minutes over...something.

Commentary = narrator in video refers to Joe Maddon as the most exhausting man in baseball, hence the thread title!

I just thought the video was funny and the comment was spot-on. Sorry to offend.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
OK, here goes!

Thread title = Joe Maddon, most exhausting man in baseball

Video = Anthony Rizzo CLEARLY swinging on a HBP, and the home plate ump egregiously awards Rizzo 1B. Umps conference, and call is changed to the correct Rizzo swinging/third strike. Maddon then comes out and argues for a few minutes over...something.

Commentary = narrator in video refers to Joe Maddon as the most exhausting man in baseball, hence the thread title!

I just thought the video was funny and the comment was spot-on. Sorry to offend.
So, he did his job?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
So, he did his job?

Is that in question? But since you bring it up, do you think Maddon does a good job at handling umpires and, in general, has a good relationship with the umpiring crews? I'm guessing most MLB umps rank Maddon somewhere between Ned Yost and Clint Hurdle in terms of 'likability'.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think SilenceS's point is that it's a managers job to argue that. They called one thing then reversed it because the other team bitched. That's not how the game is suppose to work.

Additionally, I'm not entirely sure of the rules but I also don't believe it matters whether he swings at the pitch or not if it hits him because as soon as he's hit the ball is dead. It's entirely possible that's what Maddon was arguing and they blew the call.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is that in question? But since you bring it up, do you think Maddon does a good job at handling umpires and, in general, has a good relationship with the umpiring crews? I'm guessing most MLB umps rank Maddon somewhere between Ned Yost and Clint Hurdle in terms of 'likability'.
Do refs like Coach K?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think SilenceS's point is that it's a managers job to argue that. They called one thing then reversed it because the other team bitched. That's not how the game is suppose to work.

Additionally, I'm not entirely sure of the rules but I also don't believe it matters whether he swings at the pitch or not if it hits him because as soon as he's hit the ball is dead. It's entirely possible that's what Maddon was arguing and they blew the call.
If you swing, its a strike. But, your other points are correct. Maddon gets clear definitions of rules, so he can call out loopholes. Thats called a competitive edge. The point of his post was to ruffle feathers over Maddon, so he is playing coy. Its his m.o.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Great breakdown from this weekend...

I I think a fair breakdown of the weekend would also include the fact that this idiot swearing pitcher and the idiot swearing manager of the Mets both swore at and threatened a reporter who dared ask them questions after they fucked up a game.

Maddon is probably appropriately questioning how an umpire changes a call without an official challenge.

I don’t think Maddon is incorrect to ask that the proper procedure be followed

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

I love this forum. Just so much baseball knowledge.

I'm not sure how Maddon "doing his job" somehow is antithetical to him being "the most exhausting man in baseball". If anyone can explain that to me, that would be great.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I I think a fair breakdown of the weekend would also include the fact that this idiot swearing pitcher and the idiot swearing manager of the Mets both swore at and threatened a reporter who dared ask them questions after they fucked up a game.

Maddon is probably appropriately questioning how an umpire changes a call without an official challenge.

I don’t think Maddon is incorrect to ask that the proper procedure be followed

I would say the use of the term "most exhausting man in baseball" wasn't solely based on Maddon questioning this particular (correct) call. I think a "fair breakdown" would include Maddon's past incidents with umpires.

Not sure how/why Maddon would have expected an official challenge to have changed the call. I know this forum abhors all knowledge of baseball, but you can't challenge check swings. I've seen several instances of umpires conferencing after a play and changing the home plate umpire's call. It happens. If you think this is the first time it's happened, then I don't know what to tell you.

I assume you didn't watch the play or the video. The term "most exhausting man in baseball" wasn't referring to Maddon putting his two cents in after the call was changed, it was in reference to the amount of time Maddon spent arguing against a correct call...hence the term 'exhausting'. The video even fast-forwarded through Maddon's histrionics as to not bore the viewer.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I would say the use of the term "most exhausting man in baseball" wasn't solely based on Maddon questioning this particular (correct) call. I think a "fair breakdown" would include Maddon's past incidents with umpires.

Not sure how/why Maddon would have expected an official challenge to have changed the call. I know this forum abhors all knowledge of baseball, but you can't challenge check swings. I've seen several instances of umpires conferencing after a play and changing the home plate umpire's call. It happens. If you think this is the first time it's happened, then I don't know what to tell you.

I assume you didn't watch the play or the video. The term "most exhausting man in baseball" wasn't referring to Maddon putting his two cents in after the call was changed, it was in reference to the amount of time Maddon spent arguing against a correct call...hence the term 'exhausting'. The video even fast-forwarded through Maddon's histrionics as to not bore the viewer.
Why would you assume I didn't watch the play? Because I don't bash Maddon like you do?

I watched it, and saw a third base umpire very clearly indicate he had no clue - and then after that, the umps changed their call. I don't disagree with the final outcome, but if I am a manager and an ump indicates he didn't see the play, and then reverses a call, I too would be questioning him.

If Maddon stood in the dugout and did nothing, fans would blast him for being asleep at the wheel.

It's easy to find something to criticize a major league manager about. Fans do it all the time. Bullpen usage is the easiest one: If the reliever fails, the manager had too quick a hook. If the starter stays in and fails, the opposite is true. Bottom line, any failure by a player on the field can be blamed on a manager by fans who have made up their mind beforehand.

"Most exhausting"? Whatever.

I don't need to see him arguing and/or discussing every single thing. I agree he does it a lot.

But just throwing shit at an LB manager is really easy to do. But unfair.