John Paxson Tenure Review

czman

Liked Posts:
Except Tyrus couldn't really shoot. Marion at least had some sort of jumper (as awkward as it is) coming into the league. In Phoenix he was draining 3s off of Steve Nash kick outs...don't see how anyone thought Tyrus could be capable of that. Marion-esque defensively I can see though.

Marion shot .182 from the 3-point line his first season.

Here is a link to Thomas on nbadraft.net.

http://nbadraft.net/players/tyrus-thomas

Marion is who they compared him to at the time. Almost all of the draft people gurus were making that comparison.

The Ball Dont Lie

Liked Posts:
Except Tyrus couldn't really shoot. Marion at least had some sort of jumper (as awkward as it is) coming into the league. In Phoenix he was draining 3s off of Steve Nash kick outs...don't see how anyone thought Tyrus could be capable of that. Marion-esque defensively I can see though.

That's a fair point. Although Marion was never a good shooter. He had a couple seasons where he shot above 35% from behind the arc. But other than that he was an average shooter for the most part. Most of his offense/scoring coming from 9 feet and in. But I will agree Marion was more of a 3, stretch 4. Tyrus could not play the 3 well.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Marion shot .182 from the 3-point line his first season.

Here is a link to Thomas on nbadraft.net.

http://nbadraft.net/players/tyrus-thomas

Marion is who they compared him to at the time. Almost all of the draft people gurus were making that comparison.

Yes that's true, Marion didn't have that 3pt shot coming into the league and actually outside of Phoenix has never really demonstrated that level of shooting.

Guess I can't blame Pax for going after a guy who could be Marion because Marion is a pretty good player, but top 5 in that draft? I guess looking at Marion's numbers at the time, though, that's pretty good.

That's a fair point. Although Marion was never a good shooter. He had a couple seasons where he shot above 35% from behind the arc. But other than that he was an average shooter for the most part. Most of his offense/scoring coming from 9 feet and in. But I will agree Marion was more of a 3, stretch 4. Tyrus could not play the 3 well.
Yeah the key difference was that Marion was more of a natural 3, and he played that position for most of his career, ironically except the years he was in Phoenix and doing very well. I guess Tyrus did have a midrange shot, but he took far too many and didn't make enough of them for it too be necessarily a good shot. Another thing about Marion was the way he generated steals and was kind of a lockdown wing defender if he needed to be. Tyrus, though very good at blocking shots, I don't think had that kind of lateral quickness. All in all, a lot of Marion's success at PF was due in part to him actually being more of a SF by nature. Tyrus, though he wanted to play like a SF, never really possessed that kind of skill set from the get go.

Something else about Marion and three pointers...he shot lots and lots and lots in Phoenix and the moment he left his attempts and percentage plummeted. Whether that's a result of him not shooting well or him being outside the D'Antoni system isn't something I'm qualified to say.

Liked Posts:
Let us not forget that while Kobe was still in his prime and considering the Bulls that Paxton made the statement "We can win without Kobe."

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I can't really blame him for taking Eddy Curry or attempting to stick with him as long as he did. If Eddy had any drive what so ever he would have been a perennial all-star and may have been the best offensive big of the era. He just had to much talent for his own good...I believe he didn't even start playing basketball until the 8th or 9th grade. The talent was obviously there and I think Paxson held out hope that he would eventually mature as he got older.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
nice read, as for trading curry, the bulls were lucky a GM as bad as Isiah was out there to trade with, he gave up way too much for Curry as well as a bunch of other moves that set the knicks back in terms of cap space.

Anyway, what do you think will happen this offseason? Personally i think boozer needs be let go(amnestied), while hes done well during the regular season, his disappearing act when it comes to the playoffs/big games is unacceptable given what hes being paid.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
we got noah (and a bobcats pick essentially) for eddy so i dont think that was a mistake

but giving chandler away for free was (although hes improved allot since then) but we got noah who is better so whatever

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
In hindsight, we know what Curry turned out to be.

But back then, he was considered as a potential Shaq 2.0, which hyped his market-value considerably. The heart-fart and the Knicks trade was so lopsided. Stupid Knicks, believing that they could spend themselves into contention.

I didn't care for Curry, so I was glad that he was gone. But internet Bulls fans at the time wanted him back bad, and were very much on the train. In all fairness, those were desperate times for the Bulls.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That was a horrible move. It did allow the Bulls to be bad enought to get Rose. I am not sure the Bulls miss the playoffs if you swap out Thomas for Aldredge. The other thing to remember is that Shawn Marion had just had a monster year. Many people were comparing Thomas to Marion. I think that move was directly related to the success of Marion and comparisons between the two.

Huh?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tyrus-Thomas-511/

Who was comparing him to Marion?

I think some may have compared him athletically to Marion but they were completely different players coming out of college.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
In hindsight, we know what Curry turned out to be.

But back then, he was considered as a potential Shaq 2.0, which hyped his market-value considerably. The heart-fart and the Knicks trade was so lopsided. Stupid Knicks, believing that they could spend themselves into contention.

I didn't care for Curry, so I was glad that he was gone. But internet Bulls fans at the time wanted him back bad, and were very much on the train. In all fairness, those were desperate times for the Bulls.

Sound like our current Ben Gordon fan club.

Those fans wanted the low post scoring since in 2006-2007 we were really missing that. The state of the NBA then was the East was rather weak, no one was really that dominant, so many fans thought with a low post scorer like Curry we would be NBA Finals bound. I dont think it would have happened.