Kyle Hendricks

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com | @CarrieMuskat | August 15th, 2015

CHICAGO -- Kyle Hendricks had to go way back to figure out what was wrong with his mechanics.

The Cubs right-hander, who went 3 1/3 innings on Friday, checked video of his outings in Double-A and feels he found a way to fix his mechanics.

"I was in such a bad position," Hendricks said of his abbreviated outing. "[Friday], it was so noticeable. My backside is not tall enough, so I'm collapsing. My shoulders are off, they aren't on line, and my arm path, I'm getting my arm stuck behind me."

He and pitching coach Chris Bosio broke down the video, compared it to what he's doing now and were able to come up with some drills in hopes of getting Hendricks back on track.

"Everybody has different mechanics," Hendricks said. "Some guys are rotational. For me, being rotational is not good at all. I have to be on line, my shoulders square, then I can get to the bottom of the zone."

He felt relieved to find an answer.

"It's been frustrating," he said of this season. "All year, trying to find the answer. All year, it hasn't felt right. Even when I had a good outing, it just happened that my hand position was good that day."

I know most all pitchers go back and look at tape and stuff but to me it seems like Kyle Hendricks goes above and beyond film studies. I always hear more than any other pitcher how Kyle's work ethic is incredible. This is what I like so much about him and as a 4th starter I'm happy to him.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
You can't go to Dartmouth and be a slacker. With his stuff, he has to be a real student of the game to be successful. Good for him. Thanks for posting this, Ari Bear.