LeBron (finally) fined for flopping

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Should be pointed out, so were West and Stevenson of the Pacers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...west-lance-stephenson-fined-5k-141238957.html

Now, if they reviewed every game and assessed fines after the fact, how high would LBJ's fine total be?

(fwiw, I'm glad they actually fined people that casual fans have heard of. 'bout damn time)

Now if they would only get Chris Bosh :pity:

[video=youtube;NXYxuXoLqwM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXYxuXoLqwM[/video]

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So does this mean that Manu will get fined a million dollars by the time the NBA Finals are over? :smug:

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It's so funny to think when the season started that the whole "flopping" fiasco was such a hot-button topic, then as the season progressed there were only a handful of players who ended up getting fined. Oh well, maybe now they'll start approaching it with a little more balance. Don't enact the rule if you don't want to reinforce it.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
fish_flop_hg_wht.gif

theCHI_Life84

Liked Posts:
i still think fines are not the way to go to punish flopping. players will pay fines if they get the W in the end. it should be an in-game punishment, like first flop is a warning, 2nd is a technical FT. if they dont make the punishment in-game, flopping will NEVER stop.

czman

Liked Posts:
i still think fines are not the way to go to punish flopping. players will pay fines if they get the W in the end. it should be an in-game punishment, like first flop is a warning, 2nd is a technical FT. if they dont make the punishment in-game, flopping will NEVER stop.

They cannot do an in game punishment. The only reason flopping works is because it fools the refs. The way flopping goes away is if they stop calling fouls on flops. If a player falls on the ground and no foul is called his team and he are at a disadvantage.

The flop that I hate the most is when someone is defending the post and they fall down as someone backs into them. That should never be called. Refs should look at players who do that like they are an idiot. For the life of me I have no clue why that is ever called.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I also think fines should be a % of the game check, not a flat sum. start fining players 10% of their check, and it goes down, imo.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Should be pointed out, so were West and Stevenson of the Pacers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...west-lance-stephenson-fined-5k-141238957.html

Now, if they reviewed every game and assessed fines after the fact, how high would LBJ's fine total be?

(fwiw, I'm glad they actually fined people that casual fans have heard of. 'bout damn time)
It is so beneath a great player to use this tactic. I think it decreases his stature as an all time great. If he was fined accordingly, he might need to renegotiate his contract.[video=youtube;L8rGCH_HRdQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=L8rGCH_HRdQ[/video]

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
They cannot do an in game punishment. The only reason flopping works is because it fools the refs. The way flopping goes away is if they stop calling fouls on flops. If a player falls on the ground and no foul is called his team and he are at a disadvantage.

The flop that I hate the most is when someone is defending the post and they fall down as someone backs into them. That should never be called. Refs should look at players who do that like they are an idiot. For the life of me I have no clue why that is ever called.
Your argument that they can't do in game punishment is just as true for not calling it. Either way they are fooled. I think a technical each time would cut it down, esp. if they are ejected for the second. Fines afterward for called and missed flops, rising with repeat offenses.

theCHI_Life84

Liked Posts:
i heard on some broadcast that there are alternate refs at every game in case of injuries on the active refs. they were suggesting putting these refs to work, watching the actual broadcast of the game to oversee close/blown calls and whatnot. this sounds like a good idea, having a sideline ref that watches the game concurrently with a screen of the actual broadcast.

i see your argument as to why in-game flop punishment is difficult - if the ref is fooled by a flop, what is there to be punished? but what im saying is, rather than not blowing the whistle when a ref knowingly sees a flop, why not give the ref the power to actually blow the whistle and lay down the law to instantly negative-reinforce the unwanted behavior?

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
You can't really blame a ref for not always going with a no call on a potential flop. Like with the Bosh flop on Boozer in the playoffs in 11. His elbow did come close to his face and you can't always tell if it actually hit or not. The punishments need to be harsher and they need to be enforced. If you break down LeBron's contract by what he got paid per minute he played this season, his fine was almost paid off by only playing 1 minute of basketball. He made nearly $4500 per minute he played so that's pocket change to him.

Reactions: X

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I guess you could turn the flop into a technical foul or a personal foul on the player. Not sure how that would go...

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I guess you could turn the flop into a technical foul or a personal foul on the player. Not sure how that would go...

THIS. It may be worth considering. If you clearly flop, not only is it a fine, but you start the next game off w/ a personal foul. I don't hate that.

Freakyslow15

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see a 1-game suspension for every flop after the first one (first one is a warning). Or even an increasing scale i.e. two games for second suspension, 3 for third, etc.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:

Maybe if it was questionable they could look at replay to determine whether or or not it was a flop :shrug: