Let's Put Theo and Jed to sleep

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think there are a few similarities here. The Brewers have a SS, catcher, pitcher, and LF as a core built from within. Kinda sounds like the Cubs SS, pitcher, 1B, and catcher.

Difference is, they obtained the Cubs former 3rd basemen and pitcher, and Kyle Lohse as free agents.

I know it's way too early, but I think this is where some were saying that you can indeed give yourself a chance to succeed at the parent level without mortgaging the farm, and still click on all cylinders throughout the organization.

BTW, Milwaukee's payroll is currently at 103 million. :thinking:

Really unimpressive signing... wasn't he one of the last pitchers to be signed sans Ervin Santana and Atlanta? My memory may be foggy, but he was a Card and my Dad loves the Cards, Lohse is an iffy pitcher at best. Also they got Garza for way less then they should have.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Awww... I can't put moderators on my ignore list? What a grave injustice...

Guess I'll just have to exercise some discipline... :)

He is a Sox fan. He roots for a team that is about as interesting as a paper plate. Why do you think he has to post on a Cubs forum?

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey, the cubs moved up two spaces in the latest cbssports power rankings. They are now at # 27! This is a team to watch.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
He isn't a Sox fan. He at least used to be a Cubs fan. He may think he is a Sox fan just because he decided to jump ship when a team was bad and a few guys with internet access complained about it a ton, but he has no form of true allegiance characteristic of a fan at all.

The riling people up for his own personal enjoyment part though still rings true.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
it was sarcasm just so you know and your little thanking buddies know. the point is you are looking at a bright side of what? no bull pen, 1 starter, an overrated ss and 1bn who probably wont be on this team when they ever contend, an outfield full of 4th outfielders and on and on and on. ok so you played some "close games" when you become 20 gb will you still have that same fucking optimism? "zomfgzzz we still playedzz themszz closezz" please dude. your only prayer is that bryant,almora,and baez pan out and arent 40 years old by the time the cubs get any depth on any level in pitching. false hope

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

Sounds more to me like you're the one praying your scenario happens, because Sox fans are only happy under 2 circumstances, when they are miserable and when Cubs fans are miserable. And you sound a tad scared that the days of the Cubs being miserable are numbered :p

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Really unimpressive signing... wasn't he one of the last pitchers to be signed sans Ervin Santana and Atlanta? My memory may be foggy, but he was a Card and my Dad loves the Cards, Lohse is an iffy pitcher at best. Also they got Garza for way less then they should have.

The point was simply that they tried to field a competitive team. You further illustrated the point that you don't have to acquire elite players to put yourself in a better situation to win.

Again, by no means am I stating that they are certain to make the playoffs because the Cardinals and Pirates are still the teams to beat, and the Reds a not too distant contender also, but, sometimes you can get off to a hot start, and it carry you into being buyers at the deadline versus sellers.

Right now, I couldn't fathom this Cubs team going through the rotation one time and winning all 5, let alone putting a streak together of 9 in a row like the Brewers did.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Cubs are bad. They refuse to spend to fix the problem and instead buy trade chips to add more lottery chips.

Until they have a proven base of vet players with a system that produces talent this will be a shitty ride

A good team to measure what they should be doing is the Rangers. They started with building a farm and sucked for years. Then they built around the farm with proven vets with upside.

They did not rent to flip. They instead used their farm to rent a starter. They did this with Lee, Dempster, Garza. They still are producing talent and they traded for Fielder.

That is a winning model. Not what they are doing.

What they should be doing is retaining Hammel Wood and Shark. Get Arrieta healthy and consider taking a loss with "dead weight" Jackson. Put his butt in the pen for all I care then trade or save up for a ace. Even though I'm guessing shark might just step up this year. His game has raised a bar

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Not really mad, because I couldn't care less as a Sox fan. Cub fans deserve better. That's all I'm asking and Cub fans argue with me that they don't deserve better than PR campaigns and outright lies and hypocrisy from all levels of management.

Welcome to the Darkside!
108388833_large_5f9156.jpg

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
The Cubs are bad. They refuse to spend to fix the problem and instead buy trade chips to add more lottery chips.

Until they have a proven base of vet players with a system that produces talent this will be a shitty ride

A good team to measure what they should be doing is the Rangers. They started with building a farm and sucked for years. Then they built around the farm with proven vets with upside.

They did not rent to flip. They instead used their farm to rent a starter. They did this with Lee, Dempster, Garza. They still are producing talent and they traded for Fielder.

That is a winning model. Not what they are doing.

What they should be doing is retaining Hammel Wood and Shark. Get Arrieta healthy and consider taking a loss with "dead weight" Jackson. Put his butt in the pen for all I care then trade or save up for a ace. Even though I'm guessing shark might just step up this year. His game has raised a bar

Until they have a proven base of vet players with a system that produces talent this will be a shitty ride>>>

Until they have a proven base of vet players with a system that produces talent this will be an extended incarceration for Cub fans.

*Fixed*.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds more to me like you're the one praying your scenario happens, because Sox fans are only happy under 2 circumstances, when they are miserable and when Cubs fans are miserable. And you sound a tad scared that the days of the Cubs being miserable are numbered :p

nah. dont really give a fuck about the cubs success.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think there are a few similarities here. The Brewers have a SS, catcher, pitcher, and LF as a core built from within. Kinda sounds like the Cubs SS, pitcher, 1B, and catcher.

Difference is, they obtained the Cubs former 3rd basemen and pitcher, and Kyle Lohse as free agents.

I know it's way too early, but I think this is where some were saying that you can indeed give yourself a chance to succeed at the parent level without mortgaging the farm, and still click on all cylinders throughout the organization.

BTW, Milwaukee's payroll is currently at 103 million. :thinking:
Isn't Milwaukee the poster child for mortgaging the farm given their complete lack of talent in the minor leagues right now?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Isn't Milwaukee the poster child for mortgaging the farm given their complete lack of talent in the minor leagues right now?

Is the team that old?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is the team that old?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk
Not terribly, but they have nothing to replace if any of their core guys go down. The roster is paper thin if they suffer injuries.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Not terribly, but they have nothing to replace if any of their core guys go down. The roster is paper thin if they suffer injuries.

Paper thin? And if this were the Cubs with a 103 million dollar payroll and atop the division, people would be falling all over themselves and saying what a great job the brass is doing with a limited budget.

We are 4-10. What happens if any of our abundance of (4) core guys go down or get traded? #1 draft pick in 2015 I would say. Hell, they might get the top pick anyways at this pace.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Paper thin? And if this were the Cubs with a 103 million dollar payroll and atop the division, people would be falling all over themselves and saying what a great job the brass is doing with a limited budget.

We are 4-10. What happens if any of our abundance of (4) core guys go down or get traded? #1 draft pick in 2015 I would say. Hell, they might get the top pick anyways at this pace.
The Brewers have a more talented core. It has been noted by many people that the Brewers have no depth and no farm system. What any of that has to do with the Cubs is beyond me.

Which also ignores the larger issue of you citing the team with the worst minor league system in baseball according to Baseball America and Keith Law as an example of not mortgaging the farm.

Last edited:

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
The Brewers have a more talented core. It has been noted by many people that the Brewers have no depth and no farm system. What any of that has to do with the Cubs is beyond me.

Which also ignores the larger issue of you citing the team with the worst minor league system in baseball according to Baseball America and Keith Law as an example of not mortgaging the farm.

Milwaukee's inability to extend players other than Braun is the reason they aren't bucking the Cardinals year in and year out right now. Had the trendy thing to do been there 6-7 years ago in extending players early, I'm sure you would see a different Brewers team.

Not every team can pump out a Fielder, Braun, Hardy, Hart, Weeks, and Gallardo at the same time and recoup that fast. In referencing the Cubs, tell me if they could do the same thing with Edwards, Almora, Alcantara, Bryant, Baez, and Soler come up, and not have their farm fall completely off the cliff? How much would be left?

Generally when the farm is tough, the parent team isn't and vice versa. Their are exceptions, but very few.

I hope the Cubs can produce some of the aforementioned players out of the farm like the Brewers did. I would also not be bothered if the Cubs had players like LuCroy and Perralta, nor that they nabbed a guy like Segura via the trade route after taking a chance with Greinke.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Milwaukee's inability to extend players other than Braun is the reason they aren't bucking the Cardinals year in and year out right now. Had the trendy thing to do been there 6-7 years ago in extending players early, I'm sure you would see a different Brewers team.

Not every team can pump out a Fielder, Braun, Hardy, Hart, Weeks, and Gallardo at the same time and recoup that fast. In referencing the Cubs, tell me if they could do the same thing with Edwards, Almora, Alcantara, Bryant, Baez, and Soler come up, and not have their farm fall completely off the cliff? How much would be left?

Generally when the farm is tough, the parent team isn't and vice versa. Their are exceptions, but very few.

I hope the Cubs can produce some of the aforementioned players out of the farm like the Brewers did. I would also not be bothered if the Cubs had players like LuCroy and Perralta, nor that they nabbed a guy like Segura via the trade route after taking a chance with Greinke.

That also neglects that they torched what remained of their farm system to go for it a couple years ago. The only issue I had with your statement was that Milwaukee was not an example of mortgaging the farm, and well they clearly have.

Last edited:

patg006

Liked Posts:

And the Cubs roster is paper thing even without injuries.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
And the Cubs roster is paper thing even without injuries.
I missed where I said the Cubs have a better roster than the Brewers. Could you find that for me so you might have a point?