Mack an MVP candidate?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know it’s a fluff piece... but damned if it didn’t work in giving me a chubby. ESPECIALLY the second to last paragraph. (In the article) LOL

The Khalil Mack MVP Campaign Just Got Another Boost
By
Erik Lambert
Since the Most Valuable Player award was created in 1975, only one Chicago Bears alum has managed to win it. That was Walter Paytonback in 1977 when he posted over 1,800 yards and 16 touchdowns while carrying the team to its first playoff berth in 14 years. Now it seems there are some out there who feel Khalil Mack has at least a reasonable chance to be the second.

That sounds unusual. After all, only one defensive player in history has claimed the honor. That was Lawrence Taylor back in 1986. Since then it’s pretty much been a string of quarterbacks with the occasional running back mixed in. Nonetheless, that didn’t stop Bill Barnwell of ESPN from stating the superstar pass rusher has at least an outside chance to pull it off.
It would take a truly special season. Probably one that includes breaking the single-season sack record of 22.5. Not impossible, but difficult. It seems though that Barnwell isn’t the only one who buys into the “Mack for MVP” idea.
Dan Hanzus of NFL.com became the second notable expert to list Mack as his MVP pick from Chicago. His belief is strengthened by the fact that the outside linebacker terrorized offenses in 2018 despite having come into the organization without the benefit of any preparation whatsoever.

“Here’s the scary thing about Khalil Mack: The All-Pro linebacker was the biggest difference-maker on a 12-4 Bears team a year ago — and he wasn’t even playing at his ceiling. A sprained ankle suffered in Week 6 caused him to sit out two games and limited him in two more. Despite that, Mack led the team with 12.5 sacks and chipped in 10 tackles for loss, second-most on the squad.
Mack told the Chicago Sun-Times last week that he aspires to produce at the level of all-time greats like Lawrence Taylor and Derrick Thomas. Smack in his prime entering his age-28 season, we might be about to see peak Mack. Scary stuff.”

The rest of the article is in the link.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Trubisky has a better chance than Mack. It would take a 30 sack, or 16 INT season to warrant a defensive MVP vote with the numbers QB's are throwing around.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
DPOY is much more likely. They have all been QBs or RBs since '86 when Taylor "won" it.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
It will never happen with Leonard Floyd lining up opposite of him.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
A big reason Dee Ford, Vic Beasley that one year, Aaron Donald got all those sacks is because their offenses were some of the best in football and they forced the other team into must pass situations in the 4th where they could tee off on pass rush.
If Mack is going to be considered in the MVP race, Trubisky is going to have to play like a MVP, in which the nod will obviously go to the QB.

LeSueur

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Toronto Blue Jays
  1. Toronto Raptors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Ottawa Senators
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yeah Chubb and Von Miller had 12 and 14 sacks cause Broncos offence was so good ?

LeSueur

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Toronto Blue Jays
  1. Toronto Raptors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Ottawa Senators
  1. Syracuse Orange
And Mack is the best at doing what you should do when getting a sack, and that’s getting the ball. He was in the conversation for DPOY before going down with the ankle injury

Last edited:

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
I still get warm and fuzzy thinking about his first game as a bear. Damn that was impressive.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
MVP is just another reward for offense

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dan Hanzus of NFL.com became the second notable expert to list Mack as his MVP pick from Chicago.

This is probably less to do with them thinking he's likely to be MVP, and more to do with the fact that nobody on the Bears offense has a hope in hell of winning it.

DPOY is a possibility if Aaron Donald gets injured or has a down year.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Saw it was Lambert, immediately knew the article was shit.