New stat shows cubs need two more to contend

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
"In terms of the Cubs needs before the trade deadline, the Cubs need to upgrade the leadoff position versus right-handed pitching. Dexter Fowler has an OBP less than .300 against RHP, unbefitting of a leadoff hitter. For a leadoff man it is most important for the Cubs to pursue a high OBP player to get on base. If the Cubs look to add an impact bat to the lineup, in the four or five holes behind Rizzo and Bryant for instance, OPS shouldn’t be the determining factor in the decision. Instead, the addition of an impact bat should be based on the new stat CRC. OBP is for one and two hitters. The bats expected to drive them in need to have the high CRC. Right now, the Cubs just don’t have enough of those. Theo and Jed are working to correct that."

http://www.wrigleyvilletimes.com/bats-new-stat-shows-cubs-need-two-more-to-contend/

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lead off is a real issue. Middle of the order? Well if they get a lead off and drop Fowler to #2, Rizzo #3, Bryant #4, Soler #5, Montero #6, Castro #7. It solves the problem. So in view of this getting a OBA lead off should be priority #1. For now I would run Cogs/Denorfia in a platoon there but look into making a deal soon.

schizm032003

Liked Posts:
Until we can get a better CF or at the least someone to platoon with Fowler, why can Denforia platoon with Fowler? He hits righties pretty well I believe, and would solve the issue temporarily until we add a new CF. I think at the worst it would improve our production against right handers, which would only help at this point. Cogs is ok in LF for now. I wouldn't mind us getting two bats for the OF this season. Zobrist in LF with Cogs on the bench whenever Zobrist isnt playing another spot. Revere would be a decent get for CF/leadoff. Hell Zobrist could leadoff with his OBP. We add these two to the offense, and we will be stronger. Cogs will still get plenty of AB's, as Zobrist will play LF, and get time at RF, 2B, 3B, everyone will get days off, plenty of AB's to go around. Revere would really help our CF production in a platoon with Fowler, and give us more speed on the basepaths. Maddon will know exactly how to use Zobrist, while keeping everyone happy and rested.

Add these two guys, and get us a pitcher for the rotation, and this team could really take off, IMHO.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I really liked what I was seeing with Rizzo, Bryant and Soler hitting back to back to back.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Until we can get a better CF or at the least someone to platoon with Fowler, why can Denforia platoon with Fowler?

AFAIK they are already platooning Deno with Cogs and late in the game replacing Deno with Cogs once the match up calls for it.