Official CCS Grillmasters thread

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does it last that long if u are using it to make stuffed brisket?

Depends.

Am I stuffing it with pork chops and how high am I setting the broiler on my stove?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Anyone got a good rib rub they'd like to share? Googling around and found this one, looks decent:

• 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
I'm not so sure on the cinnamon, but most of the people reviewing it said it was really subtle and just adds a little something to the flavor profile, but hard to identify as cinnamon.
I'm really bad about taking rubs like I'm baking a cake with exact amounts.

I usually just go with what I'm feeling any given day.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Tonight I'm making one of the most boring things to cook on the grill. Boneless skinless chicken breasts. Pounded them down, poked, and put them in a citrus / garlic marinade for a few hrs. I'll hit them with some additional seasoning when they go on, and mop some reserved marinade at the end. Going to cook pretty hot and fast so they don't dry out, keeping a close eye on internal temperature. Should turn out good.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
These came out better than expected. Full of flavor and not dried out at all, which can be a problem with boneless skinless chicken breasts due to the low fat content:

I didn't end up mopping at the end, because it felt like overkill. Loads of flavor already. Full chimney of charcoal spread evenly, let the temperature come down a little and cooked them for probably 30 mins. Got the internal temp to about 160, pulled, covered with foil and let it carryover another 5 degrees or so. Money.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Tonight I'm making one of the most boring things to cook on the grill. Boneless skinless chicken breasts. Pounded them down, poked, and put them in a citrus / garlic marinade for a few hrs. I'll hit them with some additional seasoning when they go on, and mop some reserved marinade at the end. Going to cook pretty hot and fast so they don't dry out, keeping a close eye on internal temperature. Should turn out good.
I really prefer chicken thighs to breasts.

To add to my other post about rubs I use

-smoked paprika
-salt
-pepper

As my base and build from there depending on what mood I'm in and what I'm rubbing. Also what flavor profile I'm going for depends on what gets added.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I really prefer chicken thighs to breasts.

To add to my other post about rubs I use

-smoked paprika
-salt
-pepper

As my base and build from there depending on what mood I'm in and what I'm rubbing. Also what flavor profile I'm going for depends on what gets added.
Same. I'm a big fan of thighs even off the grill. The fat content helps a ton, even with skinless boneless ones. I make a lot of curries with them. Beyond that, they are super versatile and have a superior texture / flavor to breasts. And smoked paprika is magical. But tonight it was "make something lean that doesn't taste terrible", and had some chicken breasts on hand. So here we are :)

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Same. I'm a big fan of thighs even off the grill. The fat content helps a ton, even with skinless boneless ones. I make a lot of curries with them. Beyond that, they are super versatile and have a superior texture / flavor to breasts. And smoked paprika is magical. But tonight it was "make something lean that doesn't taste terrible", and had some chicken breasts on hand. So here we are :)
I like them for Curry or stir fry for sure. I'll also grill them and knife and fork them like a chicken breast with veggies and a salad.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
No, a single stuffed brisket requires a double batch of that rub.
Thank you. I have a 1lb brisket that I've added 3 cups of rub to. I'm going to cook at 500 for 12 hours. In addition to your rub I added star anise and saffron, and stuffed with cabbage and durian. After that I plan on taking a shit in a pot, basting it with that, and then hitting it with a blowtorch. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Thank you. I have a 1lb brisket that I've added 3 cups of rub to. I'm going to cook at 500 for 12 hours. In addition to your rub I added star anise and saffron, and stuffed with cabbage and durian. After that I plan on taking a shit in a pot, basting it with that, and then hitting it with a blowtorch. I'll let you know how it comes out.
WTF man!? Where are you going to get your heat from? You need at least three Carolina reaper peppers to give it a touch of heat.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

If basting with a such a slurry, I suggest cooking at 700 for 3 minutes. Just be sure to ask your dinner mates if they mind you making blue brisket.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Man, I've been on a roll in front of the grill lately. I think I'm mostly just excited that I'm getting a new smoker tomorrow. So I've been grilling like every night for about a week. Tonight, bone in pork chops...which I might enjoy just as much as a good steak.

1) Bought some decently thick bone in chops from the store, probably a little bit more than 1" thick. Brined them in a salt water solution for about 2 hrs. Patted dry and hit them with some Himalayan sea salt, fresh black pepper and Everglades Cactus Dust and setup the grill for two zone heat.

2) Seared them for about 3 mins a side on the hot zone.

3) Moved to the cool side and popped a temp probe in the thickest part of one of the ones further from the edge of the dome. Also tossed a chunk of hickory in the coals, because why the fuck not.

4) Brought them up to 140. Hit with some sauce as a glaze, pulled at 150, and let them carry over to 155. I like my pork a little more rare, but other people in my house are funny about it.

Sides: corn on the cob, collard greens, baked beans and cornbread.

Nom nom nom nom nom nom. Devoured it.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Smoker came today! This thing is fucking massive. I bet I could comfortably smoke six 8lb butts on it. I was gonna just run a bag of charcoal through it to break it in, but after a few hours I felt bad about wasting all that charcoal and smoke. So I threw some chicken thighs on there for the hell of it. Nothing fancy, just a real basic quick rub. Even if they turn out terrible, they are cheap. Using hickory because that's what I have. Will hit them with some sauce at the end, after they hit 165 internal. Smoking at about 250.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Smoker came today! This thing is fucking massive. I bet I could comfortably smoke six 8lb butts on it. I was gonna just run a bag of charcoal through it to break it in, but after a few hours I felt bad about wasting all that charcoal and smoke. So I threw some chicken thighs on there for the hell of it. Nothing fancy, just a real basic quick rub. Even if they turn out terrible, they are cheap. Using hickory because that's what I have. Will hit them with some sauce at the end, after they hit 165 internal. Smoking at about 250.

Which smoker did you buy?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Nice. I'm always been a BGE guy. I'm curious to hear what you think of the new smoker.
So far so good. I read a lot of people saying that the WSM 22 runs really hot the first 5-6 times you use it, until it builds up some residue inside the chamber. But last night I was able to get it to 250 and hold it all night with minimal effort, and probably could have gone down to 225 if I wanted to. Overall impressed so far. I think once I get the hang of it, it will pretty much be "set it and forget it".

Also, I've always wanted to get a BGE, but I can't get myself to drop that much money on one (big one + accessories). They do seem pretty great though!

Last edited: