Pre Camp Thought of the Day

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Jordan Mills is your worst OLmen then your OL is pretty good.

I know the PFF stats and that they had him ranked very low with their pressure stat. But what I saw he was very solid for a 5th round rookie. I thought his run blocking was a strength all season and while his pass blocking fell off it was not a noticeable weakness, nor did I think it effected the 2nd ranked scoring team or the 4th least sacks given up.

If you have 4 guys better than Mills you are in good shape.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
It's real easy to give young guys (rookies) critical grades .... but how'd those young guys do? Where's the vision realizing that these young guys are studs, and are growing up .........

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I know the PFF stats and that they had him ranked very low with their pressure stat. But what I saw he was very solid for a 5th round rookie. I thought his run blocking was a strength all season and while his pass blocking fell off it was not a noticeable weakness, nor did I think it effected the 2nd ranked scoring team or the 4th least sacks given up.

Mills was a major improvement over Webb/Carimi/Omiyale or whoever else has been garbage on the right side. I never felt an automatic sack was going to happen with Mills

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

I don't know if Jordan Mills is the worst offensive lineman on the team I think Roberto Garza is although is pretty close between those two. The good news is Mills is going to be better at least that's the trajectory I see. On paper Mills should be better, if he's worse which I suppose wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility then there's a problem arising there. The correct evaluation and assumption is Mills will be better.

Garza on the other hand is over the hill, especially as a run blocker. Garza is clearly the worst run blocker on this team and it's really not even close. I have little to no condpfidence in Garza and I'm afraid of an even bigger drop off. Honestly I'd rather see DeLaPuente in there starting. Garza has been a good player a very stout underrated pillar of this franchise for a very long time. But I felt it was time to move on.

Bushrod I don't feel will get any better,and I have no idea when he'll start to get worse. If he starts to go bad, it could happen in spectacular fashion. I'll simply be happy with Bushrod being himself and let that be that. I worry about a spectacular collapse from Bushrod based on the consistent number of hurries he's given up in his career. With any luck this isn't the year things fall off and even more importantly he remains healthy because there ain't a damn player worth a shit backing him up.

I don't know if Slauson will get any better, but he doesn't have to. He can maintain or get slightly worse and everything will be fine. Slauson is the one player Imhave. Of plate faith in.

Long is the one player where the arrow is clearly pointing up that I have no doubts about.

Depth wise I only like DeLaPuente and then everyone else scares the shit out of me. An injury could be devastating for this team at any of the four positions.

In conclusion three of the five I harvest doubts about Slauson I think will be fine and Long is the one long term player I have high hopes for. Mills could take a big step forward and erase all doubts and I have hope that he will.

bionicbelly

Liked Posts:
I agree, this line is going to be brutal this year. Another year of experience for Mills and Long, they are going to be unstoppable.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm hoping to see a huge leap in pass pro from both Long and Mills. If that happens I think Jay is gonna look really good (finally) especially if Wilson plays to his potential. Defenses won't be able to cover all 5 options (Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Forte, Wilson) at Jay's disposal.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know if Jordan Mills is the worst offensive lineman on the team I think Roberto Garza is although is pretty close between those two. The good news is Mills is going to be better at least that's the trajectory I see. On paper Mills should be better, if he's worse which I suppose wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility then there's a problem arising there. The correct evaluation and assumption is Mills will be better.

Garza on the other hand is over the hill, especially as a run blocker. Garza is clearly the worst run blocker on this team and it's really not even close. I have little to no condpfidence in Garza and I'm afraid of an even bigger drop off. Honestly I'd rather see DeLaPuente in there starting. Garza has been a good player a very stout underrated pillar of this franchise for a very long time. But I felt it was time to move on.

I think Mills was worse than Garza last year especially when you factor in intangibles, like the leadership that Garza brought to the Oline. Garza brought a lot to the table for this line gelling and working together. Mills excelled in effort last year. That sounds weird but when you look at the tape he rarely was just flat out beat. He may have lost the battle of the first step and gave up the outside shoulder but he always stayed with the block and worked to force the guy a little wider. This was key to allow Jay the ability to step up into the pocket.

I didn’t see Garza beaten on pass blocking much however he was not good with regards to getting a push off the line for run blocking though. I agree he is clearly in decline. I would have no problem with DLP stepping in for Garza .

Bushrod I don't feel will get any better,and I have no idea when he'll start to get worse. If he starts to go bad, it could happen in spectacular fashion. I'll simply be happy with Bushrod being himself and let that be that. I worry about a spectacular collapse from Bushrod based on the consistent number of hurries he's given up in his career. With any luck this isn't the year things fall off and even more importantly he remains healthy because there ain't a damn player worth a shit backing him up.

Bushrod played fine, not stellar, last year and I ‘m not going to lose any sleep over him until he gives me cause to. If Bushrod is injured though his backup does scare me. Britton played fine coming in for Mills and in the “jumbo packages “ when he was an extra lineman but I doubt his ability to anchor the left side.

I don't know if Slauson will get any better, but he doesn't have to. He can maintain or get slightly worse and everything will be fine. Slauson is the one player Imhave. Of plate faith in.

Slauson was the best man on the O-line last year and I'm not even a little worried about him.

Long is the one player where the arrow is clearly pointing up that I have no doubts about.

My hope is that he actually earns the Pro-bowl nod this year off of his play. Long, like Garza, brought intangibles to the line last year. His was attitude and energy. He was the spark plug that every line needs. I am very excited to see him improve.

Depth wise I only like DeLaPuente and then everyone else scares the shit out of me. An injury could be devastating for this team at any of the four positions.

Britton was solid and think he could fill in at either guard of right tackle. DLP can fill in at C or G. This line can survive an injury at every position except LT.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I think Mills was worse than Garza last year especially when you factor in intangibles, like the leadership that Garza brought to the Oline. Garza brought a lot to the table for this line gelling and working together. Mills excelled in effort last year. That sounds weird but when you look at the tape he rarely was just flat out beat. He may have lost the battle of the first step and gave up the outside shoulder but he always stayed with the block and worked to force the guy a little wider. This was key to allow Jay the ability to step up into the pocket.

I didn’t see Garza beaten on pass blocking much however he was not good with regards to getting a push off the line for run blocking though. I agree he is clearly in decline. I would have no problem with DLP stepping in for Garza .

Bushrod played fine, not stellar, last year and I ‘m not going to lose any sleep over him until he gives me cause to. If Bushrod is injured though his backup does scare me. Britton played fine coming in for Mills and in the “jumbo packages “ when he was an extra lineman but I doubt his ability to anchor the left side.

Slauson was the best man on the O-line last year and I'm not even a little worried about him.

My hope is that he actually earns the Pro-bowl nod this year off of his play. Long, like Garza, brought intangibles to the line last year. His was attitude and energy. He was the spark plug that every line needs. I am very excited to see him improve.

Britton was solid and think he could fill in at either guard of right tackle. DLP can fill in at C or G. This line can survive an injury at every position except LT.

I'm not ready to call Britton competent until I see him play more than a few snaps in one game in an isolation blocking situation instead of helping out on the edge. Sure he played well enough in relief of Mills against the Packers but it was one game against their backup rushers.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mills should be significantly better this season and I would expect whoever is playing C to be our worse OLmen, which says something about the overall talent.

Mills is so much better than Webb, Omiyale, Chrissy, Jon Scott and the rest of the guys we had to watch attempt to play RT.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mills should be significantly better this season and I would expect whoever is playing C to be our worse OLmen, which says something about the overall talent.

Mills is so much better than Webb, Omiyale, Chrissy, Jon Scott and the rest of the guys we had to watch attempt to play RT.

Just a simple fact and almost an insult to include mills in the same sentence as those guys.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
n/m..I had a thought but it left me...lol

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

It's a matter of perspective. While I agree with this, a good line needs Mills to be it's worst player. Like you said, I also expect more from him this year. There's no need to compare to any of the lines with Webb because they were all worse than average and well below good. How bad is your Oline when Webb is playing LT and is actually one of the better players on it?

OnemanWolfpack

Liked Posts:
The good news is that Trestman and Kromers system is heavily protection based. Basically meaning all the plays are designed to be based off of the protection as opposed to the protection being based off of the play. In other words priority is keeping the QB safe and the pocket clean. This staff wont tolerate poor protection

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
The good news is that Trestman and Kromers system is heavily protection based. Basically meaning all the plays are designed to be based off of the protection as opposed to the protection being based off of the play. In other words priority is keeping the QB safe and the pocket clean. This staff wont tolerate poor protection

More importantly , after the retooling of the O-line, The players wont tolerate it either.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
It's amazing how fast Emery was able to turn our OL play around after watching it be so pathetic for years. Hopefully the DL makes the same turnaround this season.

Meh an equally big part was no longer blocking seven rushers with five players with seven step,drops. The three previous years before attest an got here the a ears used shot gun less than any other team. Not by coincidence the a saints used shot gun more than any other team. So yes the line and Emery deserve credit, but as always perspective is in order.

ctree5454

Liked Posts:

I really stopped paying attention to the PFF stats..It's been talked about in a few different locations and also on the PFF site how they don't take scheme into consideration. The Bears pass blocking is designed to push everything around the pocket allowing the QB to step-up. It is why the Bears tackles get hit for so many pressures by PFF cause each time Cutler has to move off his mark they flag it as a hurry. Bushrod had one bad game against St Louis (Quinn) but every other tackle in the league did as well.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
before attest an got here the a ears

bf1npap.gif

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pre camp thought ..........
I always hope for the Best and that would be for our younger LBers to finally make that transition in a resounding, heads above fashion and lock up the LBer spots by bouncing out DJ Williams
Briggs Bostic McC starting with Greene Jones and DJ in the wings.