Pre Camp Thought of the Day

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know if Jordan Mills is the worst offensive lineman on the team I think Roberto Garza is although is pretty close between those two. The good news is Mills is going to be better at least that's the trajectory I see. On paper Mills should be better, if he's worse which I suppose wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility then there's a problem arising there. The correct evaluation and assumption is Mills will be better.

Garza on the other hand is over the hill, especially as a run blocker. Garza is clearly the worst run blocker on this team and it's really not even close. I have little to no condpfidence in Garza and I'm afraid of an even bigger drop off. Honestly I'd rather see DeLaPuente in there starting. Garza has been a good player a very stout underrated pillar of this franchise for a very long time. But I felt it was time to move on.

Bushrod I don't feel will get any better,and I have no idea when he'll start to get worse. If he starts to go bad, it could happen in spectacular fashion. I'll simply be happy with Bushrod being himself and let that be that. I worry about a spectacular collapse from Bushrod based on the consistent number of hurries he's given up in his career. With any luck this isn't the year things fall off and even more importantly he remains healthy because there ain't a damn player worth a shit backing him up.

I don't know if Slauson will get any better, but he doesn't have to. He can maintain or get slightly worse and everything will be fine. Slauson is the one player Imhave. Of plate faith in.

Long is the one player where the arrow is clearly pointing up that I have no doubts about.

Depth wise I only like DeLaPuente and then everyone else scares the shit out of me. An injury could be devastating for this team at any of the four positions.

In conclusion three of the five I harvest doubts about Slauson I think will be fine and Long is the one long term player I have high hopes for. Mills could take a big step forward and erase all doubts and I have hope that he will.
good post biff I agree though I think we will get one more season outta Garza and I honestly am not sure his replacements on this team at this point

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's amazing how fast Emery was able to turn our OL play around after watching it be so pathetic for years. Hopefully the DL makes the same turnaround this season.
If this new Dline turns around as good as our oline did last year then Emery will be a God! I will su.......wait, i will pay a hooker to suc....perform fellatio

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Mills was always in a position to recover when beat, something previous tackles lacked. He impressed me and will be even better this year.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Thought 2

Brock Vereen, and Ryan Mundy for that matter, do not need to be members of the legion of boom to be upgrades for the Bears. If they can be average, at level, adequete, serviceable, and solid they would provide a huge upgrade over the abomination that was the Bears safety play last season

I do think Vereen will start, but it is not because I think he is Earl Thomas. It is because the bar has her set so low by the play last season I think even a 4th round rookie can get over it.

I also think deep down the coaching staff wants Vereen to start, I think that despite publicly supporting him they have lost all confidence in him to handle the system.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thought 2

Brock Vereen, and Ryan Mundy for that matter, do not need to be members of the legion of boom to be upgrades for the Bears. If they can be average, at level, adequete, serviceable, and solid they would provide a huge upgrade over the abomination that was the Bears safety play last season

I do think Vereen will start, but it is not because I think he is Earl Thomas. It is because the bar has her set so low by the play last season I think even a 4th round rookie can get over it.

I also think deep down the coaching staff wants Vereen to start, I think that despite publicly supporting him they have lost all confidence in him to handle the system.

Couldn't agree more, and that is sad. Hopefully, the big improvement in the D line along with healthy CB's will soften the problems at the Safety spot.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I have a strange feeling that Mills isn't going to remain the starter throughout this year. And I'm not referring to an injury.

Trump32

Liked Posts:
Is nobody concerned that we have no backup FB? It takes 2 FB to equal one unit of Kuhn.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Thought 2

We've been down his new rookie starting safety road before and it has yet to work out. Vereen only inspires confidence because he's exciting and new, just like Conte was three years ago. It's rather baffling the level of confidence that people have in Vereen.

This is the same situation we've been in nearly every year over the last 10 and yet nothing changes. Where does this high level of confidence that a rookie safety will be competent come from?

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
We've been down his new rookie starting safety road before and it has yet to work out. Vereen only inspires confidence because he's exciting and new, just like Conte was three years ago. It's rather baffling the level of confidence that people have in Vereen.

This is the same situation we've been in nearly every year over the last 10 and yet nothing changes. Where does this high level of confidence that a rookie safety will be competent come from?
Perhaps because he brings something else to the table that guys like Conte lack, like an extremely strong head on his shoulders. Vereen was a leader on and off the field and even helped run practices when the Gophers coach went down. You can't teach those intangibles, you either have them or you don't.

Conte never has. Does it mean Vereen will be a beast? Hell no. But his sharp mind will help him digest the playbook faster & adjust at this level.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
LOL

Yeah a guy like Conte that was projected to go undrafted is totally comparable to a guy who earned a 3-4 round grade.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Mike Brown started at FS and would have won DROY if Urlacher wasnt there

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What does Mike Brown have to do with the last decade of safeties on this roster?

Oh I forgot you added on the decade stipulation but since we are doing it that way besides conte tge only other rookie starting safeties we had in the past decade was Manning and Harris,neither who were bad

stats guy

Liked Posts:
In recent memory, Mike Brown and Chris Harris were very successful rookie safeties. So, based on the empirical evidence, I don't think it's that unlikely that Vereen is also successful as a rookie. But, it's also shouldn't be a foregone conclusion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
In recent memory, Mike Brown and Chris Harris were very successful rookie safeties. So, based on the empirical evidence, I don't think it's that unlikely that Vereen is also successful as a rookie. But, it's also shouldn't be a foregone conclusion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yep. I really dont care who starts as im more focused on the DL but to try to shit on others optimism without anything to back it up is foolish

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Oh I forgot you added on the decade stipulation but since we are doing it that way besides conte tge only other rookie starting safeties we had in the past decade was Manning and Harris. Neither who were bad

My best friend played with Mike Brown in high school on their state championship team. I doubt Vereen is Mike Brown who was a top-50 pick.

There's also been Al Afalava who started and Manning was horrible as a rookie. If there was one weak link in that 2006 defense it was Manning. Kevin Payne played a lot but was t much help.

The main point is simple, no safety from the middle rounds that has played in Chicago has lived up to expectations and rookie safeties rarely play well.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Pre camp thought ..........
I always hope for the Best and that would be for our younger LBers to finally make that transition in a resounding, heads above fashion and lock up the LBer spots by bouncing out DJ Williams
Briggs Bostic McC starting with Greene Jones and DJ in the wings.

what is the damn obsession with youth? You put the best players on the field. Period .

Williams will be starting. Bank on it.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gotta agree with BearsFan51, Garza was a concern for me last year and I'm glad we FINALLY did something about center by signing DeLaPuente. I've never watched DeLaPuente play, so his value remains to be seen. But over the last couple of years I've noticed how we never get any push in the middle on run plays. It's debatable if Forte is much of an "up the gut" runner, but I've gotta think his already great numbers could have been much better with a real o-line and center. We've had much bigger needs in the draft, but I've secretly been hoping Emery would use a 2nd round pick on a center for years. (Although I knew it wasn't happening.)

What? When we finally got a real offensive line last year, Forte was 2nd in total yards? No way!

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
what is the damn obsession with youth? You put the best players on the field. Period .

Williams will be starting. Bank on it.

Williams was a below average linebacker in his prime who has been injury prone of late and is now old by LB standards. That's why most people are anxious to move on from him.