Report: Chicago Cubs interested in New York Mets' Jon Niese - Mets Blog - ESPN

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm totally disinterested. He's got a career 3.89 ERA and his ERA is over 4 this year. I mean if you're talking about getting him for almost nothing then I suppose but I wouldn't trade someone of Villanueva's level for him which isn't saying much as I think he probably is dealt before the rule 5 draft this offseason.

Edit: was reading mlbtraderumors and they mentioned the dodgers were also possibly interested. That's not all that interesting but they did have this to say too...

Performance aside, Niese’s contract could have a negative impact on his trade value. The 28-year-old is scheduled to make $9MM in 2016 plus a $500K buyout or $10MM option in 2017. As for this year, he’ll earn the prorated portion of $7MM, which is not wholly unreasonable.

That's pretty pricey. The cubs got Hammels for 2 years on a similar deal $9 mil this year $10 mil next/$2 mil buyout or voidable on performance thresholds.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm totally disinterested. He's got a career 3.89 ERA and his ERA is over 4 this year. I mean if you're talking about getting him for almost nothing then I suppose but I wouldn't trade someone of Villanueva's level for him which isn't saying much as I think he probably is dealt before the rule 5 draft this offseason.

Edit: was reading mlbtraderumors and they mentioned the dodgers were also possibly interested. That's not all that interesting but they did have this to say too...

That's pretty pricey. The cubs got Hammels for 2 years on a similar deal $9 mil this year $10 mil next/$2 mil buyout or voidable on performance thresholds.
My guess is he one of a few their looking at to fill that 4/5 spot in rotation ...

Wada slot dont come up again until Friday, which they can skip and go to Arrieta with the off day Monday. .

The next start then will be on the 7th, so wada if injury not serious can have an extra week rest before that start..

Then with the break, the cubs won't have to worry about that rotation spot til the 21st, which by then they could of made a deal..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
My guess is he one of a few their looking at to fill that 4/5 spot in rotation ...

Probably. I just view it as the type of guy you pick up in a straight salary dump rather than someone you actually give up something for. So, if he were DFA'd maybe I'd be more interested in just picking up the money as a better option than Wada.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Wada placed on 15 day DL, Ramirez activated

Be interesting to see if Roach gets start against miami Friday, he still on roster

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would see if they could try to trade for Shields. Pads are garbage right now. Tossing away the farm for a gamble is called doing it wrong.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I would see if they could try to trade for Shields. Pads are garbage right now. Tossing away the farm for a gamble is called doing it wrong.

I don't see them doing that as they would be picking up a contract that they wouldn't match 4 months ago and have to give up at least 1 top 10 prospect and likely 2 to do it.

As far as Niese, no thank you unless it's for nothing but the salary dump.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I know they will probably have to wait til off season more so cause reds wont deal him to them then anything else but i would love for the cubs to get Cueto. .. i hope he the one their gonna go after on day 1

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I know they will probably have to wait til off season more so cause reds wont deal him to them then anything else but i would love for the cubs to get Cueto. .. i hope he the one their gonna go after on day 1

I'd like to see them target Cueto too but I think it's going to be Price.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If we go after a starter, it'll be somebody's throw-away to upgrade the back-end. Cubs will have the inside track on David Price to sign outright in the offseason. I don't see Theo getting too liberal with trading away premium talent until next season's trade deadline. Look what we've done so far with all of these young gets getting ample PT. Why shoot your load now when you're still in contention for a WC spot?

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
What do you think it would take to get Dan Haren?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If we go after a starter, it'll be somebody's throw-away to upgrade the back-end. Cubs will have the inside track on David Price to sign outright in the offseason. I don't see Theo getting too liberal with trading away premium talent until next season's trade deadline. Look what we've done so far with all of these young gets getting ample PT. Why shoot your load now when you're still in contention for a WC spot?

Why?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
IDK about that. You could have said the same thing about Shields and he chose to go to SoCal closer to his home. Every pitcher is going to have his own reasons for the choices they make.

The Cubs would make a ideal landing spot for Price. Youth in place with more upcoming. Payroll increasing. Stadium being modernized. Familiar coaching staff. I look at it as his chance to get to the series with Maddon with a team that will not cut payroll every year just to survive.

Still that said, that may not be his motivation. That is just my vision of his motivation. He could just hop over to the Cards because they are a team that has a track record of getting to the W.S. every year. Maybe he wants the easy way to a ring and would rather not have to beat that team every year. Maybe the whole underdog mentality with the Rays wore him thin and bing on Det. , who is on the other side of it, is more to his tastes.

No one will know until he signs a contract.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
My guess is because he had mentioned what it would be like pitching for the cubs and winning the WS with them last yr.
Now with Maddon there , he might have them high on his list if price (no pun intended ) is right...

If Detroit continues to slide and falls under .500 in next couple weeks, i hope jed calls them to see if theyd trade him and what it would take to get him... as long as it not a crazy return.. this way theyd have him playing with team and getting to know everyone better for couple of months and they'd have those extra couple of months to negotiate an extension with him..

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
My guess is because he had mentioned what it would be like pitching for the cubs and winning the WS with them last yr.
Now with Maddon there , he might have them high on his list if price (no pun intended ) is right...

If Detroit continues to slide and falls under .500 in next couple weeks, i hope jed calls them to see if theyd trade him and what it would take to get him... as long as it not a crazy return.. this way theyd have him playing with team and getting to know everyone better for couple of months and they'd have those extra couple of months to negotiate an extension with him..
When he made that quote the context was not "I want to go to the Cubs", it was in the context of "Even a team that hasn't won while anyone on the planet was alive still has reasons for me to have an interest so I am not eliminating anyone at this point."

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
When he made that quote the context was not "I want to go to the Cubs", it was in the context of "Even a team that hasn't won while anyone on the planet was alive still has reasons for me to have an interest so I am not eliminating anyone at this point."

It's a bit more than that. By all accounts Price and Maddon are close personal friends apart from their former Manager/pitcher relationship and talk often. Price used to sit next to Maddon in the dugout and ask about all aspects of the game. Some think he wants to work in the game when his career is done but he may soon have 200 plus million reasons not to so we'll see. Given all that though I think his desire to play for Maddon again is genuine given the money is equal. That being said there is no way I give up prospects for him to chase a WC when I could have him for money and a compensatory pick in 6 months.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would say that the Cubs would be on his top 5 short list. It could bump up if they can get Schwarber and Baez on the team this year.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Cubs do not need another mediocre middle of the rotation guy.

They need a top of the rotation guy capable of dominating starts.

Whether they trade for someone, or wait and take a run at David Price, is the real question.