Roster Watch and Offseason Notes

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
We can also assume that there are a couple guys who will probably leave via free agency (Camp, maybe LaHair). If guys like Marmol, Soriano or DeJesus also get traded, that's extra spots to be used for protecting prospects and also acquiring free agents.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
A few days ago, every Cub fan and every personnel in the Cubs front office has a smile on their face. The Cubs quietly designated starting pitcher Chris Volstad and was claimed on waivers. The lucky team that claimed him was the Kansas City Royals. The White Sox people also had a smile on their face as that's an easy win IF he makes the team. There's still a great chance he won't make the roster and may be DFA again.

As you recall, the Cubs traded SP Carlos Zambrano for Chris Volstad last off-season. The Cubs, some how, came up in that deal. That's how much everybody wanted to give rid of Zambrano. Volstad actually had a great spring training, but it didn't carry on to the regular season. He pitched so poorly that he was actually sent down. The move does not surprise me at all and thought he would have been non-tender in December. So, I knew Volstad was not going to be on the Cubs roster next season. The Cubs also saved a few million by him leaving, but nothing more than that.

Over the last few days the Cubs have been clearing spots on the 40-man roster. Manly to protect players from the Rule V draft and possibly trades/free agent signings. Here are the moves the Cubs made earlier in the week:

*The Cubs DFA catcher Anthony Recker and he was claimed off waivers by the New York Mets.
*The Cubs sent down P Justin Germano, P Blake Parker, IF/OF Joe Mather, P Marcos Mateo, P Michael Socolovich, IF Adrian Cardenas and P Justin Berken ... removing them from the 40-man roster.
*The Cubs also sent down P Manuel Corpas, but he elected for free agency.

*The Cubs also claimed P Carlos Guiterrez from the Minnesota Twins about a week ago. He is a former 1st round pick.

**The Cubs 40-man roster currently stands at 33 and more moves could be on the way.

Other players who could be removed from the 40-man roster at some point in the off-season:
*1B/OF Brian LaHair may be released/DFA and could try to pursue a career in Japan.
*RP Shawn Camp is a free agent and could play for another team next year. He had a great season an I do expect teams to have heavy interest in him. However, Theo Epstein said he would love to have Camp back. So, we shall see what happens.
*3B Luis Valbuena is also a free agent, but I do expect him to be back next season.
*P Lendy Castillo may be DFA and hope he slips down to Triple A. He didn't have a great season, but I do think the Cubs would like to keep him in the organization. This is all speculation on my part and don't know what the Cubs think of him.

Side note: The Cubs have brought over Vanderbilt's pitching coach Derek Johnson to be their new pitching coordinator in the minors. This is said to be a great signing by the Cubs,. No surprise with this front office in place.

So ... let's see if there are any moves on the way!

http://www.chicitysports.com/2012/10/28/see-ya-chris-volstad-and-a-look-at-the-40-man-roster/

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Come on Waldo, you're a better writer than that

Perhaps it would help him improve if you explained exactly what he could have improved on.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Perhaps it would help him improve if you explained exactly what he could have improved on.

CCS's articles were intended to be formal as a legitimate news site with analysis but not rampant homerism and emotional influence (or at least not in the way he did put in emotion).
"See Ya Chris Volstad" in the title would be okay under some circumstances perhaps, but not often and not when the first line is the following:
"A few days ago, every Cub fan and every personnel in the Cubs front office has a smile on their face." about him being gone
Then all of this has no place in a news article:
"The White Sox people also had a smile on their face as that’s an easy win IF he makes the team."
"The Cubs, some how, came up in that deal. That’s how much everybody wanted to give rid of Zambrano."
"Manly to protect players from the Rule V draft and possibly trades/free agent signings." just for lolz, simply type-o but was kinda funny noticing it
"The Cubs DFA catcher Anthony Recker and he was claimed off waivers by the New York Mets." changing tenses within in a sentence
Still doesn't know how to spell Bryan LaHair, and keeps going on with the Japan stuff even though LaHair said he definitely isn't planning on it after last game. Still could happen, but he is acting like he personally wants it and is personally going to pursue it rather than having to be talked into it.
Oh, and this is a big no to end an article on a site for news: "So … let’s see if there are any moves on the way!"

This isn't meant to be a regular blog, it is meant to be more like a newspaper site when covering transactions and trades, then a little bit of emotion and further analysis can be squeezed in like a blog, but first and foremost it has to be more like a legitimate article here.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
^ I can dig that. You guys have CCS writer guidelines in the writers forum?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
^ I can dig that. You guys have CCS writer guidelines in the writers forum?

It has been proposed before at the very least, mostly just common sense based upon what kind of site this is meant to be though for the most part, but nothing strict AFAIK

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you want there to be a consistent standard then everyone has to work together to set up that standard. I suggest you try it.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
is this the FA thread or is there one forthcoming/one that I missed?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
is this the FA thread or is there one forthcoming/one that I missed?

You can use this one as the Cubs-specific free agent thread (it'll probably be pretty barren) but we're mostly using it to see who gets knocked off the 40-man and who gets protected in advance of Rule 5.

There's a general MLB thread in the main MLB forum for all free agents, not just Sox or Cubs specific. Considering our only free agent is Shawn Camp (whoopee)... :lol:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah interesting reads. I guess I see his line of thinking on this, but I would assume the Angels are going to want more than it is worth to get them.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carrie Muskat ‏@CarrieMuskat
RHP Justin Germano @JustGerm, outrighted by the #Cubs last week, has elected free agency

OH NOES :cubstroll2: