Roster Watch and Offseason Notes

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I can't think of any realistic scenarios in which the Cubs land Giancarlo.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Theo: Garza and Baker should be ready for the start of the season.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gordon Wittenmyer ‏@GDubCub
Theo says Garza and Baker should be ready for start of season.
Expand

Last tweet from Rogers:

Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs
Theo says some Wrigley renovation news will be unveiled later this week. Guessing at convention.
Expand

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
According to Jason Churchill, the Cubs and Jeff Samardzija have began discussions about potentially skipping the arbitration process and agreeing to a deal. Churchill believes that a one-year deal is more likely, however there's still hope that the Cubs could reach a multi-year extension to eat up his remaining years of arbitration.

Chicago Cubs right-hander Jeff Samardzija had a breakout year in 2012 and is arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason. He officially filed Tuesday, but the two sides are working on a deal to avoid the process, ESPNChicago.com's Bruce Levine reports.

Levine reminds us that the team and player had discussions about a multi-year deal in December, but that they will settle for a one-year contract, for now. Also in Levine's piece is the suggestion that Samardzija could ultimately received a long-term pact in the neighborhood of the 4-year, $27 million deal the Reds gave to Johnny Cueto.

Samardzija is not eligible for free agency until after the 2015 season, but is slated to have two more go-rounds with arbitration after the next two seasons, which could get awfully pricey if he continues to perform well.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope he doesn't get a Cueto deal. I'd be more happy if he got a deal like what Vogelsong got (adjusted for age etc).

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a 50/50 gamble on Samardzija's scenario. If he pitches good this season, he'll likely get a higher contract than what Cueto recieves. But if you give Cueto's contract now and he doesn't pitch good, it looks bad on you. So, flip a coin and let that give your answer.

Honeslty I would be fine with Cueto's deal for Samardzija. 6.75 per is nothing. I would take the chance to give a deal like that.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Rizzo made team Italy, Starlin did not make the DR team.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
According to Jason Churchill, the Chicago Cubs have been talking to Jeff Samardzija and his agent about a possible long-term extension. This is really not surprising because the Cubs have reportedly been pondering the idea of a long-term extension with Samardzija since last season.

Churchill brought up a possible extension that could look similar to the one the Cincinnati Reds game to starting pitcher Johnny Cueto. Cueto’s extension with the Reds was for 4 years at 27 million. Annually it’s 6.75 million a year. Honestly, I would be fine with that extension. However, people think it’s too much but I don’t think it is. I can see why the Cubs will wait on an extension as this is Samardzija’s 1st year of arbitration and has 2 years left before he hits free agency. This is how I see it, the Cubs will be taking a gamble … if he has another good season and improves – his price goes up, but if he struggles – his price goes down. So, it’s really a 50/50 call on if you should give him an extension in his 1st year of arbitration.

Last season, Samardzija had a breakout season … posting a 9-13 record and a 3.81 era in 174.2 innings. He also walked 58 and struck out 180. Samardzija will only be 28 on Wednesday, January 23rd. Let's just hope he can repeat this season or have an even better season.

Under former general manager Jim Hendry’s tenure, Samardzija was a relief pitcher. If Hendry was still the GM, who knows, Samardzija might have never gotten the chance to start. But Theo Epstein made it clear that they will stretch out Samardzija to start and by doing do, his 1st year was a success.

The Cubs and Matt Garza avoided arbitration late last night. Could we hear news of the Cubs avoiding arbitration or knocking down an extension with Samardzija very soon? I think we could, but a 1-year contract avoiding arbitration is what we will probably see. As Churchill said a 1-year contract is the likely scenario and ESPNChicago’s Bruce Levine said confirmed a 1-year deal is what we will most likely see.

Other news at notes:
*Cubs Vice President of scouting and minor leagues, Jason McLeod says top prospect Javier Baez will remain at shortstop. Even though, Baez would be open to a move to 3B. He didn’t get specific, but this may be a now moved and a change in the future could still happen.

*1B Anthony Rizzo is the only active Cub of whom will play in the World Baseball Classic. He will be teaming up with Italy. SS Starlin Castro wanted to play, but didn’t get the nod from team Dominican Republic. However, the Cubs do have 2 players in the minor leagues that will play in the WBC as well … pitcher Ryan Searle – Australia and pitcher Yao-Lin Wang – Chinese Taipei.

*OF Jorge Soler will likely start at a higher level than Low-A Kane County per Jason McLeod. However, he will have to convince the front office.

*Jason McLeod says pitching prospect Trey McNutt future is still to be determine, but he’ll likely be a relief pitcher. That does make sense with his past history of injuries and there’s a great chance he’ll be more effective out of the bullpen.

*Ex-Cubs Mark Prior and Kerry Wood spoke with the minor leagues yesterday on to make it the majors and how it can be an up/down career. Yeah, don’t get injured… that’s it!

*The Ricketts family has an agreement to build a Sheraton Hotel across the street in the McDonald’s lot. It will be conditioned on the Wrigley Field funding.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/0...n-a-long-term-extension-with-jeff-samardzija/

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anno and Roobs found this out while talking to Theo, but anyway:

The Cubs avoided arbitration with James Russell and Jeff Samardzija, Jesse Rogers of ESPNChicago.com reports (on Twitter). Samardzija obtains $2.64MM while Russell gets $1.075MM, Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com reports (on Twitter).
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#5sHpCUeRXQkMJIkD.99

Samardzija barely got a raise...he gets some incentives.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
The Chicago Cubs announce that they agreed to 1-year deals with pitchers Jeff Samardzija and James Russell to avoid arbitration. Jeff Samardzija will earn 2.64 million while Russell will earn 1.075 million in 2013.

I wrote up earlier that the Cubs could be working on a long-term extension with Samardzija. But at the end of the day, the Cubs just gave him a 1-year deal in which was the likely scenario. Samardzija will make the same as last year, but can also make an extra 125 thousand in incentives. In reality, the Cubs made the right decision to just give him a 1-year deal and worry about an extension down the road. The price is too right not to wait. This was Samardzija's 1st year of arbitration and an extension next off-season is a greater possibility.

Russell was also up for his 1st year of arbitration and a 1-year deal was the only possibility on the table. He's a relief pitcher and there's no point to wipe out his arbitration years. Just look at what Jim Hendry did with Carlos Marmol and it doesn't look too great right now. The 1.075 million is what Russell was looking at and is the right deal.

The Cubs will not have any cases headed to the mediator. Which is what you want to have every time around. The Cubs can now move onto other matters.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/0...ation-with-jeff-samardzija-and-james-russell/

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
That doesn't surprise me, but I don't know if he'll make the bullpen. So ... I'll be surprise if they do claim him. As they will need to clear a spot on the 40-man roster and they still can't find a spot for Villanueva.

But I do like his potential, though if he is completely healthy.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see it happening, but the people on International Talk on MLB Network think the Cubs could be the Baltimore Orioles of 2013.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see it happening, but the people on International Talk on MLB Network think the Cubs could be the Baltimore Orioles of 2013.

Intentional Talk...

I agree it is unlikely especially because the Orioles are like a once in twenty to thirty years type of variance.