RUMOR: Porcello to the Cubs talks heating up again?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
http://www.masnsports.com/school_of...&utm_campaign=Feed:+masnroch+(School+of+Roch)

If it brings any comfort at all, executive vice president Dan Duquette hasn't stopped trying to add a starting pitcher or a hitter for the middle of the lineup.
The effort is there. It's the results that are lacking.
Again, the Orioles aren't choosing to stand pat. They just haven't made a deal yet as we move into the second week of January. There's a difference.
I heard last night that the Tigers and Cubs are discussing a potential trade involving pitcher Rick Porcello, who also interests the Orioles. Now here's the rumored kicker: The Tigers are trying to get the Orioles involved because they want shortstop J.J. Hardy, and they don't feel as though the Cubs have the necessary components to make it a two-team trade.
For this to happen, the Cubs would have to send pitching to the Orioles as part of a three-way deal.
I still don't think the Orioles are willing to part with Hardy unless they're absolutely overwhelmed by an offer. They love the left side of their infield. They're not looking to shift Manny Machado to shortstop in 2013.

Also, since the Orioles have discussed Porcello, why would they need the Cubs to get involved? Just deal directly.
Anyway, that's the word on the street. We'll see what transpires.
FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal tweeted last night that the Orioles are one of the teams that has pursued Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton, exhibiting "strong interest a few weeks back, but talks sputtered."
They sputtered because Arizona is asking for a lot in return, wanting to dig deep into the Orioles supply of young pitching. Dylan Bundy's name always comes up. The Orioles always resist.
The Orioles had talked to the Diamondbacks last month about another of their outfielders, Jason Kubel, but there doesn't seem to be a match.
Duquette indicated at the Winter Meetings that he didn't need another outfielder after re-signing Nate McLouth. I guess that depends on the other outfielders who are made available.

FWIW :shrug:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The good news is that the Cubs might not have to give up too much to get Porcello.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
The bad news is that it's Rick Porcello.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The bad news is that it's Rick Porcello.

Maxwell-785965.jpg

I asked you not to tell me that!

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Porcello is garbage, but he owns the Sox so if they can move it, then be gawn with ya.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/tigers-cubs-orioles-discussed-three-way-deal.html

i thought the cubs had all these prospects. i guess the tigers really dont think so highly of them like the fans.

"The Tigers want Baltimore involved because they want shortstop J.J. Hardy and they don't feel that the Cubs have the necessary components to make it a two-team trade.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/tigers-cubs-orioles-discussed-three-way-deal.html#s2koSZWlZzLz0Ul5.99"

Usually that means that the other team wants MLB talent, which the Cubs have a huge lack of.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
"The Tigers want Baltimore involved because they want shortstop J.J. Hardy and they don't feel that the Cubs have the necessary components to make it a two-team trade.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/tigers-cubs-orioles-discussed-three-way-deal.html#s2koSZWlZzLz0Ul5.99"

Usually that means that the other team wants MLB talent, which the Cubs have a huge lack of.

And we're ranked the #12 farm, but Dewey is right, we have a White Sox-type farm. Seriously, 12th is solid, not great but solid.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
According to Roch Kubatko of Masnsports, the Chicago Cubs are once again talking to the Detroit Tigers about starting pitcher Rich Porcello. However, the Tigers don't think Cubs have enough to make it a 2-team trade and are trying to get the Baltimore Orioles involved in talks. The Tigers would like the Orioles to add SS JJ Hardy to the deal.

The trade would look a little like this, from the report:

Cubs get:
SP Rich Porcello from DET

Tigers get:
SS JJ Hardy from BAL

Orioles get:
Pitching from CHI

The problem: The Orioles don't really want to trade Hardy and if they do, they will have to be overwhelmed. The Cubs probably won't be able to do that, since they don't have pitching the Orioles would be all over. There are other pieces the Cubs could send over to the Orioles, though.

The Orioles need relief pitching and have been linked to Carlos Marmol in the pass. The Cubs are more than open to trading Marmol. The Orioles have also been linked to OF Alfonso Soriano in the past and may still like him. The Orioles are interested in trading for Arizona Diamondbacks OF Justin Upton, but the price was too high. So, maybe the Orioles trade for Soriano as a low-bargain player and look to trade for Upton when the price comes down. That's all speculation on my part. I would have to think the Tigers would have to add one more player in the trade.

The Orioles are also one team who has interest in Porcello. The report suggested: "why not have it a 2-player trade with the Tigers and Orioles?" That would mean, kicking the Cubs to the curb. That can happen, but it's all 'can's' right now.

The Cubs could also trade Travis Wood in the deal and that would make sense too. However, the Cubs would have to offer more. I heard Junior Lake's name come up, but that's unconfirmed.

If the Cubs were to acquire Porcello and Wood was not involved, look for Matt Garza's rumors to heat up when he's shown to be healthy. Even if Wood is involved, we will probably still hear Garza's name in the rumors in a couple months.

A lot of Cub fans don't want the Cubs to acquire Porcello because he's been pretty bad as of late. But Porcello is a player Team Theo would like. Since he had the hype in the minors and has huge upside. Also, he's in their age range when acquiring players.

As of right now, I say a trade is pretty unlikely. But the MLB has surprises all the time and you just never know what will happen.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/01/08/are-the-chicago-cubs-talking-about-a-3-team-trade/

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/tigers-cubs-orioles-discussed-three-way-deal.html

i thought the cubs had all these prospects. i guess the tigers really dont think so highly of them like the fans.

Apparently the Cub's need more prospects at the expense of winning at the ML level.
Or they just simply can't compete.

We can blame Hendry and the albatross Soriano contract that currently is dragging the ML ballclub through the wet concrete.

The Tigers truely have no idea what they would be missing out on.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
And we're ranked the #12 farm, but Dewey is right, we have a White Sox-type farm. Seriously, 12th is solid, not great but solid.

And Callis said it was because of the lack of pitching. The Cubs have one of the best farms position wise.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, Josh Vitters & Brett JacKKKKson look like All Stars.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
The Cubs have one of the best farms position wise.

I believe that also because Theo just said it recently.

Also our Boy Blunder believes that Shark, Rizzo, Barney, and others are core players.

We not not far away from being a decade long powerhouse.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Yeah, Josh Vitters & Brett JacKKKKson look like All Stars.

Dense a fuck, Vitters isn't even in our top 10.

Baez, Almora, Soler, Jackson at the top position-wise, and Vogelbach would easily be in the Top 100 if he could play a position well. The Cubs positional depth has been applauded by several people between BA, BP, etc. Now stop pretending you know anything about the Cubs. This is like if you said the Sox farm is underrated and I brought up Justin Greene

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I believe that also because Theo just said it recently.

Also our Boy Blunder believes that Shark, Rizzo, Barney, and others are core players.

We not not far away from being a decade long powerhouse.

I don't see what you have wrong with considering Rizzo to be core. Samardzija and Barney were mentioned, but that doesn't mean that he meant it, GMs can use the media to talk up their only players to add value.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Porcello wouldn't be a terrible addition, although it seems like 20 years ago that he had his promising rookie season. His inability to command his pitches when he's ahead in the count seems to be his downfall: he doesn't walk a lot of guys, but he allows too many hits. Part of this could point to how atrocious the Tigers are defensively, but it's still a bit puzzling that Porcello has hit a wall with his development. Still, he's only 24 and won't be a free agent until 2016.

My big question is this -- do the Cubs even have what either team in this trade is looking for? The Cubs' farm system is light on impact pitching, which seems to be what the Orioles would be looking for if they dealt Hardy, a superior defensive presence at short. Obviously, the Tigers want Hardy to improve their defense in the infield, as Jhonny Peralta leaves plenty to be desired. And I would highly doubt the Cubs wold be willing to deal Baez for a player of Porcello's caliber.

On paper, it would make more sense for these two teams just to figure something out. Still, maybe the Cubs slipped a name to one of these teams that would urge them to let the Cubs be involved. At this point, it's purely speculation.

BearsMod1

Liked Posts:
he is young, but only signed for one more year and pretty cheap for 3.1 mill

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
He's still has 3 years of arbitration, including this year. So, he'll be ok money-wise. I still think it's a trade the Cubs should make if the deal makes sense.