RUMOR: Porcello to the Cubs talks heating up again?

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I love that arm and it's pretty clear the Cubs lost that deal.

I guess if you're not into winning ball games.
You mean what you think Archer could be or actually is ?
I wonder how many Archer jerseys have sold.

Garza has pretty much eclisped anything Archer could amount to.

That alone is more of a fact than simply stating that the Cub's lost that deal.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
mountsalami=Lex L. :thinking:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
[video=youtube;fDyx10eukUI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDyx10eukUI[/video]

Mountsalami, it's OK to disagree.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I guess if you're not into winning ball games.
You mean what you think Archer could be or actually is ?
I wonder how many Archer jerseys have sold.

Garza has pretty much eclisped anything Archer could amount to.

That alone is more of a fact than simply stating that the Cub's lost that deal.

Right, because 3 years (including next year) of Garza being a slightly above average starter (was a bit better than slightly in 2011, but pretty much exactly average in 2012 with 101 ERA+) is guaranteed to be worth more than 6 years of Tampa Bay's now-#1 prospect in a very solid farm system. Archer has some pretty real potential, and Lee has some pretty significant potential too, despite the lower floor.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Right, because 3 years (including next year) of Garza being a slightly above average starter (was a bit better than slightly in 2011, but pretty much exactly average in 2012 with 101 ERA+) is guaranteed to be worth more than 6 years of Tampa Bay's now-#1 prospect in a very solid farm system. Archer has some pretty real potential, and Lee has some pretty significant potential too, despite the lower floor.

Just imagine if we would have had same scouting that told JedStein that Ian Stewart was going to be a productive player.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Just imagine if we would have had same scouting that told JedStein that Ian Stewart was going to be a productive player.

lol one bad move when Colvin wasn't looking like much either. Colvin did have a good year, which is great, but he wouldn't have had playing time here (before we knew Byrd was going to tank and then get traded and subsequently suspended). Almost got back to 2010 levels, and even then he wasn't ideal.

Was it a bad move? Yes. Can everybody be right every time and did Stewart get injured during the season, hampering play? No and Yes to those two respectively. He wasn't going to be good, but at the time it was a garbage-for-garbage trade that worked out better for the team in the extremely hitter-friendly Coors Field.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
He wasn't going to be good, but at the time it was a garbage-for-garbage trade that worked out better for the team in the extremely hitter-friendly Coors Field.

So what was Colvin's excuse when he hit 20 home runs for the Cub's ? Doesn't say much for the 20 hit by Stewart playing for the Rockies.

Taking a chance on Stewart had they waited a couple weeks and the Rockies DFA'd them like they were going to wouldn't have cost the Cubs much.

But giving up Colvin (and I am no fan of Colvin) and LeMahieu was too much for a mediocre at best player who was clearly injured. I knew he was hurt last year and was hurt this prior offseason, so it shouldn't have been a surprise that he needed wrist surgery.

Colvin would have been an improvement in RF over DeJesus and more consistent with the propaganda of this great youth movement under way.

LeMahieu would have been an improvement over Valbuena who the Cubs picked up off waivers to basically fill DJ's spot in the organization.

Very few moves have been good ones.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
So what was Colvin's excuse when he hit 20 home runs for the Cub's ? Doesn't say much for the 20 hit by Stewart playing for the Rockies.

Taking a chance on Stewart had they waited a couple weeks and the Rockies DFA'd them like they were going to wouldn't have cost the Cubs much.

But giving up Colvin (and I am no fan of Colvin) and LeMahieu was too much for a mediocre at best player who was clearly injured. I knew he was hurt last year and was hurt this prior offseason, so it shouldn't have been a surprise that he needed wrist surgery.

Colvin would have been an improvement in RF over DeJesus and more consistent with the propaganda of this great youth movement under way.

LeMahieu would have been an improvement over Valbuena who the Cubs picked up off waivers to basically fill DJ's spot in the organization.

Very few moves have been good ones.

Lmfao, how about the Rizzo trade? The Castro extension? The Vizcaino trade? The Soler signing? The Paniagua signing? The Sveum hiring? The Baker trade? The Maholm signing? The DeJesus signing? The Baker, Feldman, Villanueva signings? The Jackson signing even if you say you don't like it, despite him being one of the pitchers that you posted that you'd like us to go after?

Ya, SOOOO few.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lmfao, how about the Rizzo trade? The Castro extension? The Vizcaino trade? The Soler signing? The Paniagua signing? The Sveum hiring? The Baker trade? The Maholm signing/trade? The DeJesus signing? The Baker, Feldman, Villanueva signings? The Jackson signing even if you say you don't like it, despite him being one of the pitchers that you posted that you'd like us to go after?

Ya, SOOOO few.

I'll add one ... the Shawn Camp acquisition. Plus, the Dempster trade wasn't bad and the Marshall trade too. There are ones we are prolly missing too.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Lmfao, how about the Rizzo trade? The Castro extension? The Vizcaino trade? The Soler signing? The Paniagua signing? The Sveum hiring? The Baker trade? The Maholm signing? The DeJesus signing? The Baker, Feldman, Villanueva signings? The Jackson signing even if you say you don't like it, despite him being one of the pitchers that you posted that you'd like us to go after?

Ya, SOOOO few.

Trust me when I say this, he'll come back with "There isn't enough evidence that Rizzo will be a success" while deeming Colvin an awful move based on a slightly larger sample.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trust me when I say this, he'll come back with "There isn't enough evidence that Rizzo will be a success" while deeming Colvin an awful move based on a slightly larger sample.

Yeah I do see that as he has stated that a zillion times.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
You're right waldo I missed plenty, there were some many of the "very few" good moves that I couldn't think of them all off hand.