RUMOR: Porcello to the Cubs talks heating up again?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, Delgado would have been a way better on the Cubs than Haren. No questions ask.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Also, Delgado would have been a way better on the Cubs than Haren. No questions ask.

Probably, but here's the disconnect that I think everyone in this thread is having.

They pretty much told you that they aren't going to compete seriously for about 4-5 years. The pitchers they targeted this offseason kind of reinforce that thought, Anibal and Edwin are young guys that had a lot of potential and are settled into an SP3 role now.

So basically, when Theo :)fap::fap:) and Jed :)fap:) feel that the time is ready they will target FA's, or trade from a deeper farm system to acquire talent.

It's not difficult to grasp what the plan is. If people want to act like it's going to be a completely drafted team that's kind of a dumb assumption. TheoCo (fap, fap, fap, there's an image limit I don't want to hit) has shown the desire to acquire talent via trade and free agency. Prospects matter.

Remember, in 1998 the White Sox traded an established major leaguer in Mike Cameron for some hot prospect. If we followed the "prospects don't matter" bullshit the White Sox would never acquire Paul Konerko.

(Just doing a cursory glance, the 05 White Sox are surprisingly home grown...56 was drafted, Crede was drafted, Pods was acquired for Lee who was an Am. Free Agent for the Sox, Rowand was drafted, and Uribe was acquired via trade...BUT TEH FREE AGENTS IS TEH ONLY WAYYYYYZZZZZZZZ).

Point is, a blend is needed, but there isn't much good that Hamilton or Greinke would do for this club right now or in their window of effectiveness. There might come a time when I, as a fan, will want a high priced FA, but that time isn't now, and the market sucked in general.

I'd rather roll dice with younger guys in the interim than old and creaky.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
White Sox traded an established major leaguer in Mike Cameron

A .210 batting average with an OBP of .285. in 1998, is not what I would call established.
Have it your way.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Yeah, seriously ... I don't get it.

Because everything is the Cubzzz faultzz and stuffzzz. But don't worry, we're all wrong, because Dewey says that this guy "gets it".

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stupid meatball logic.

lol whutz? :rolleyes:

yeah you are right, we are meatballs because we believe that it will take REAL FAs infused with younger players hence spending money for this team to be competitive.

pound sand.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol whutz? :rolleyes:

yeah you are right, we are meatballs because we believe that it will take REAL FAs infused with younger players hence spending money for this team to be competitive.

pound sand.

We are not actually disputing the point of roster construction at this time but rather who leaked the trade rumors, particularly the Dempster trade. While unfortunate, all records seem to show that Atlanta was the source of most, if not all, of the leaks and therefore salami's statement of falsehood constitutes stupid meatball logic.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We are not actually disputing the point of roster construction at this time but rather who leaked the trade rumors, particularly the Dempster trade. While unfortunate, all records seem to show that Atlanta was the source of most, if not all, of the leaks and therefore salami's statement of falsehood constitutes stupid meatball logic.

ahh. i see. :)

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
ahh. i see. :)

And no one here is saying that it won't take free agents. But we'd rather match up the big contracts with the window of competition (e.g. they won't be declining too much when the young talent is producing/competing). We just don't want to through money out on guys like Hamilton or Greinke right now, as they'll be on the downward slope of their careers by the time we'd be in the playoffs anyway.

This other guy you keep agreeing with, just has an inability to comprehend where the FO is going with this, and obviously undervalues prospects if he'd take Haren now over Delgado. And to prove that we didn't want an utter lack of free agents, I very highly approved of the Sanchez signing that was reported (though the Cubs never felt that they had a deal and he always wanted to go to Detroit anyway).

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
all records seem to show that Atlanta was the source of most,

Sounds definitive enough for you so it fits your agenda.
Nice to see the facts being at the forefront of this "logic".

I'm sure you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
This other guy you keep agreeing with, just has an inability to comprehend where the FO is going with this

I can only go by what's on the ML roster and judge our "genius" by wins and losses. That's all that truely matters.

I don't get the dinner invitations to the Epstein Mansion or information delivered via alein spacecraft.

So I can only use facts and historical data to prove that his plan, up to this point, strongly suggests that it will fail.

Go open another jar of Vaseline.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds definitive enough for you so it fits your agenda.
Nice to see the facts being at the forefront of this "logic".

I'm sure you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

You complaining that someone else has an agenda is funny given your responses. You had a one word response, and yet you have nothing to contradict the fact that in the Dempster situation the first reporter to break the story was Mark Bowman, a reporter for the Atlanta Braves. That is a fact which you have yet to refute. You want us to use logic which makes more sense a Braves reporter got a scoop from the Braves or Cubs side because the simplest explanation would be that the leak came from Braves side, but I am certain that doesn't fit your agenda which is why you hadn't considered it.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Probably, but here's the disconnect that I think everyone in this thread is having.

They pretty much told you that they aren't going to compete seriously for about 4-5 years. The pitchers they targeted this offseason kind of reinforce that thought, Anibal and Edwin are young guys that had a lot of potential and are settled into an SP3 role now.

So basically, when Theo :)fap::fap:) and Jed :)fap:) feel that the time is ready they will target FA's, or trade from a deeper farm system to acquire talent.

It's not difficult to grasp what the plan is. If people want to act like it's going to be a completely drafted team that's kind of a dumb assumption. TheoCo (fap, fap, fap, there's an image limit I don't want to hit) has shown the desire to acquire talent via trade and free agency. Prospects matter.

Remember, in 1998 the White Sox traded an established major leaguer in Mike Cameron for some hot prospect. If we followed the "prospects don't matter" bullshit the White Sox would never acquire Paul Konerko.

(Just doing a cursory glance, the 05 White Sox are surprisingly home grown...56 was drafted, Crede was drafted, Pods was acquired for Lee who was an Am. Free Agent for the Sox, Rowand was drafted, and Uribe was acquired via trade...BUT TEH FREE AGENTS IS TEH ONLY WAYYYYYZZZZZZZZ).

Point is, a blend is needed, but there isn't much good that Hamilton or Greinke would do for this club right now or in their window of effectiveness. There might come a time when I, as a fan, will want a high priced FA, but that time isn't now, and the market sucked in general.

I'd rather roll dice with younger guys in the interim than old and creaky.
While I have a few nit picky things I would quibble with in this post, this is the best explanation of what the FO is trying to do in this thread so far.
A .210 batting average with an OBP of .285. in 1998, is not what I would call established.
Have it your way.

"Clearly most of the original post was ignored because there was no logical and intelligent counter for it so instead you latched onto a very minor point and continued to fuel your agenda. "

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I can only go by what's on the ML roster and judge our "genius" by wins and losses. That's all that truely matters.

I don't get the dinner invitations to the Epstein Mansion or information delivered via alein spacecraft.

So I can only use facts and historical data to prove that his plan, up to this point, strongly suggests that it will fail.

Go open another jar of Vaseline.

:obama:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
All your posts are the same... you really don't have a point or a clue.