Schwarber is back!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
BTW: Happ in Short A. 105 AB 23 BB, 28 SO. .283/.408/.491 4 HR, 9 SB. He seems the lead off type that they are looking for. Have to keep an eye on him to see if they play the get him to A+ by the end of the season. Trade deadline he might get a pump to full A ball with his stats.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
The biggest need is a OBA lead off. That is why they traded for Fowler but it came up short.

Best guys out there:
Jason Kipnis. .405 OBA. 2B Cle.
Nori Aoki .383 SFG
Dee Gorden Mia.

Honestly they need to self develop here. I see Happ as the long term answer with Alcantara as the in-between. at lead off.

Ideally they trade Castro and move Russell to SS and Baez to 2B. Castro would net a few decent young arms for the future. Sign Price and get ready for next year.

If Happ is indeed the long term answer, then two possibilities might be bringing in one of these two vets. Span plays CF and leads off, and Baez moves to 2B with Russell at SS.

The other is, Baez goes to CF, and they bring in a good OBP guy also in Howie Kendrick to play 2B.

The Cubs could still employ three lefties (besides possibly Span) in Schwarber in LF, Montero behind the plate, and naturally, Rizzo at 1B.

The righties would include (besides possibly Kendrick) Baez, Soler, Russell, and Bryant.

The Cubs may not want to retain Fowler, so bringing in another veteran might be a pretty wise move.

Just a thought.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Span would be pretty good long term. That pushes Happ to 2B what they were planning. Gives Span 1/ Happ 2 in a few years. By that point Schwarber should be at Catcher and they could move Baez to 3B and Bryant to LF.

Still doable.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would look for Baez to be back at some point. Tommy Birch said today that the Iowa manager guess on when Baez would be back would be 2 to 3 weeks. That past the trade deadline and I doubt the Cubs throw him a deal where the other team would have some kind of leverage.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would look for Baez to be back at some point. Tommy Birch said today that the Iowa manager guess on when Baez would be back would be 2 to 3 weeks. That past the trade deadline and I doubt the Cubs throw him a deal where the other team would have some kind of leverage.

You don't trade injured players. Never happens.

I feel that it will end up Castro traded but in the off season. Even then his trade value is just a few young pitchers. now if he could get a quality LH major league ready arm with some upside than you do it. Takes away the need to sign Price.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Not a fan of trading Castro when the 2 players you want to replace him with are still unestablished and struggling with the bat at the major league level. ..

I just dont see theo and jed taking that chance, especially if they plan on going all in next year...

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
You don't trade injured players. Never happens.

I feel that it will end up Castro traded but in the off season. Even then his trade value is just a few young pitchers. now if he could get a quality LH major league ready arm with some upside than you do it. Takes away the need to sign Price.

Well almost never. Jake Peavy was traded while on the DL to the White Sox at the deadline in 2009 after nearly being traded to the Cubs before the injury. Sure doesn't happen very often though and they won't trade a player like Baez low with a ceiling like that.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Think some of you are drinking a bit too much kool-aid on Hammels and Hendricks. .

This reminds me of some insisting that Garza was an Ace..

Come off season, if Price or Cueto are looking to net 30 per or sign elsewhere .. youd be a fool of a GM to not try and net 4 yrs of control of a cole hamels at 23.5 per for 3 yrs and 20 on the 4th option yr...

Plus keep in mind Arrieta has 2 yrs of Arb coming up before he a FA.. he going to be getting a good chunk of dough via Arb or if they extend, so paying a Hamels 23 mil for next 3 yrs is alot easier to manage with Lester and Arrieta salary then the 25-30 Price and Cueto will be looking for. ..

Same could be said about Hamels. Four of his last seven starts have been the equivalent of a WWE beat down. No one in the Cubs rotation has taken that many poundings over that short of a span. He is overpriced and I believe on the back end of his career.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But if Castro is going to hit .250 without power it makes it easier, though the return isn't much.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Same could be said about Hamels. Four of his last seven starts have been the equivalent of a WWE beat down. No one in the Cubs rotation has taken that many poundings over that short of a span. He is overpriced and I believe on the back end of his career.

He's showing no loss of velo in those starts though so he's probably just mentally in a bad place which is completely understandable in Philly right now. I have no doubt he will pitch well for a contender. That said I still think the price for him in prospect cost is going to be too high. Cubs revenues are going through the roof and budget is going to be less and less of a concern. They'll get a pitcher in the winter through FA or trade. I think they make a minor deal for a lesser pitcher that's signed through next year at least that can provide some depth. I don't see a rental and I don't see Hamels.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Think some of you are drinking a bit too much kool-aid on Hammels and Hendricks.

With Hammel maybe. Looking at the data there's something pretty odd about his time in Chicago. His FIP and ERA are pretty similar so it's not obviously luck. This year he's at 2.86/3.05 ERA/FIP and last year it was 2.98/3.19. His K/9 and BB/9 were 8.61/1.90 last year and this year are 9.12/1.56. So, there's either something with Bosio here or maybe he just is pitching better in Wrigley for some reason. His walk rate and k rate took a nose dive in oakland last year at 7.18/2.79 and in turn his ERA/FIP ballooned to 4.26/5.10. Of the two given Hammel's career and that Oakland stint I'd be slightly worried he's over performing.

With Hendricks, I'm not really sure what people are expecting. If you're talking Maddux then sure people are over reaching here. His ERA was about 3/4 a point lower than his FIP last year at 2.46/3.32. The thing is though his ERA/FIP this year is back in that similar range 3.44/3.23 only this time the ERA is a bit higher. If you take the two seasons as a whole you're looking at a guy who posted a 6.37/1.61 k/9 bb/9 and a 3.02/3.27 ERA/FIP. I've brought this up a number of times but might as well again. People aren't going to see a 6 or 7 k/9 and think a pitcher is amazing. But compare Mike Mussina's numbers with Hendricks.

Hendricks
185.0 IP, 31 starts 11-6, 6.37/1.61/0.63 k/9 bb/9 hr/9, .282 BABIP, 74.8% left on base, 48.9% ground ball rate, 7.4% HR/FB, 3.02/3.27 ERA/FIP

Mussina
3562.2 IP, 536 starts 270-153, 7.11/1.98/0.95 k/9 bb/9 hr/9, .292 BABIP, 72.7% left on base, 43.3% ground ball rate, 10.0% HR/FB, 3.68/3.57 ERA/FIP

If you average those starts over 185 IP to make it comparable Mussina was roughly 14-8 year to year. Now I'm not saying that Hendricks is destined to be Mike Mussina. Hendricks has to continue to do this over a longer period before you seriously talk about them in the same light. My point is that at a 7.22/1.55 k/9 and bb/9 this year Hendricks can be a better pitcher than some would imagine. Mussina is 16th all time in fWAR. If Hendricks continues to pitch this well he's probably closer to a good #3 than people realize. And because Hendricks isn't a max effort pitcher he's some what likely to stay healthy which was one of the key's to Mussina's success.

It just goes to show that control is vastly underrated when talking about prospects. I mean seriously, just look at the pitchers since 2000 who have a k/9 over 6 and a bb/9 under 2. The overwhelming majority of them are good to star level players. It's also worth noting that Hendricks is pretty similar numerical to a younger Jordan Zimmerman.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Not saying its ok but you might consider that as someone just going through the motion of pitching where he doesn't want to be. .

He could be one to where after he gets traded, suddenly gets rejuvenated and pitches like the Ace he is...

if the cubs end up with Cole Hamels, I seriously doubt anyone would be crying over it once he settles in...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Help me understand why some of you are throwing security blankets over these prospects ?
You have 5 of 8 positions already taken by 25 YO or younger players.. a 6th position (Catcher) taken by an established 31 YO for next 2 yrs. who suppose to be one if the best in game behind the dish..

Leaves them with 2 positions. . Either 3B and CF or LF and CF, depending on where bryant ends up next year to fill in going forward. .

Its not going to be devastating if they give up 2 or 3 of these top prospects in system now to get a guy like Hamels at his price tag for next 4 yrs. .. guys like schwarber baez alcantara almora and a couple of their pitchers would be blocked anyways for next 2 + years..

Yes, Schwarber would be blocked if they decide to go with Bryant in LF and stick with Montero behind the plate. ..

willycat

Liked Posts:
You may have something regarding Schwarber there chibear. That is likely part of the reason they are planning to play him at catcher for three games in Cincy. Might help them decide who they might include in a July trade.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
You may have something regarding Schwarber there chibear. That is likely part of the reason they are planning to play him at catcher for three games in Cincy. Might help them decide who they might include in a July trade.

AL teams have to be licking their chops.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hamels has had 2 out of 3 years like this. This isn't just a one year thing. You have better pitchers hitting the market in the off season that will cost maybe a compensation pick. Why give up assets for a lesser pitcher when basically all you have to do is throw money at better ones in the off season?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I'd be stunned if Schwarber gets traded. That would mean all the talk said to come from the FO that this could be the best hitter out of all the guys, including Bryant, was a smokescreen. We all know smokescreens happen but I seriously doubt it in this case. Rizzo, Bryant, Russell and Schwarber are the untouchables IMO and it's not close. Now could Soler be the guy to move? I wouldn't be shocked.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd be stunned if Schwarber gets traded. That would mean all the talk said to come from the FO that this could be the best hitter out of all the guys, including Bryant, was a smokescreen. We all know smokescreens happen but I seriously doubt it in this case. Rizzo, Bryant, Russell and Schwarber are the untouchables IMO and it's not close. Now could Soler be the guy to move? I wouldn't be shocked.

Im still not exactly sold on why Russell is untouchable. I think only Bryant and Rizzo are untouchable. The only thing I can think about Russell is because they traded for him.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Im still not exactly sold on why Russell is untouchable. I think only Bryant and Rizzo are untouchable. The only thing I can think about Russell is because they traded for him.

I've yet to see a single scouting report that doesn't think his bat will be special in time. I think we forget how young he is.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Hamels has had 2 out of 3 years like this. This isn't just a one year thing. You have better pitchers hitting the market in the off season that will cost maybe a compensation pick. Why give up assets for a lesser pitcher when basically all you have to do is throw money at better ones in the off season?
Couple things..

no guarantee price, cueto, etc .. accepts a cubs offer

Hamels money wise will cost just 23.5 for 3 yrs and 20 if they oick up the 4th yr option..
Compared to probably close to 30 for 5-7 yrs for other TOR

Dont forget they still will have to eventually pay Arrieta, so having that extra 7 + will help. .