So apparently the cardinals hacked the Astros.....

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Trying to think of a better 24 hour period, as it relates to sports.

I am not coming up with anything.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You're not sure if using someone's passwords without their knowledge is hacking?

If that isn't hacking, what is?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
You're not sure if using someone's passwords without their knowledge is hacking?

Well hacking implies breaking into a system. If someone is careless enough to have compromised passwords(in this case he likely used the same passwords with the cardinals and they just brute force tried his old ones) then it's more incompetence on his part than "hacking". Admittedly either way it's still a crime to improperly gain access to someone account like that. My only point was they make it sound like more than it is by saying "hacking" as though the cardinals had a team cracking other teams networks and stuff.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:

I wouldn't say its hacking. Hacking implies intentionally breaking into someone else's computer system.

Definitely a breach of ethics. They knew about it. They should have said something. They didn't. And they allegedly have been stealing insider info they shouldn't have.

I'm curious to see what punishment will be. Big challenge ahead for Manfred here. Will he come down hard on the darling "Cardinal way" if the allegations are true?

I'm definitely sick of their smug fanbase and writers. They've been very quiet today.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't say its hacking. Hacking implies intentionally breaking into someone else's computer system.

Definitely a breach of ethics. They knew about it. They should have said something. They didn't. And they allegedly have been stealing insider info they shouldn't have.

I'm curious to see what punishment will be. Big challenge ahead for Manfred here. Will he come down hard on the darling "Cardinal way" if the allegations are true?

I'm definitely sick of their smug fanbase and writers. They've been very quiet today.

Dude...guys. You have to come down on this so hard as a commissioner. An example needs to be made, because otherwise the crime isn't a deterrent in this case. It has to be HUUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEEEE. Seriously....I expect loss of several firsts, cash of large sums, taking a player away if they used info to acquire them. Thats what I would do. If they used info in trade negotiations, or sought out negotiations based on ability to monitor and see what happens..... I mean.... huge.

How did the Cubs new young #4 overall pick catcher look? Can he catch? Because he stats indicate his bat has to be in the line-up. Can Rizzo play outfield? Because this is the type of guy you move to first. Big catcher that can hit?! What? Can Rizzo play 2nd? Or LF? Arm? Quickness? Reach?

Let the catcher hit his rookie year and trade him for mega-trade to AL so he can DH. Unless he is really a catcher? Anyone?

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Well, call it what you want, but to me, accessing my data without authorization, is the very definition of hacking.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cardinals are fucked. Plain and simple. This may be the worst thing done in sports. I hope they get raped and the FBI doesn't involve themselves with an org without that much money unless shit is real.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dude...guys. You have to come down on this so hard as a commissioner. An example needs to be made, because otherwise the crime isn't a deterrent in this case. It has to be HUUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEEEE. Seriously....I expect loss of several firsts, cash of large sums, taking a player away if they used info to acquire them. Thats what I would do. If they used info in trade negotiations, or sought out negotiations based on ability to monitor and see what happens..... I mean.... huge.

How did the Cubs new young #4 overall pick catcher look? Can he catch? Because he stats indicate his bat has to be in the line-up. Can Rizzo play outfield? Because this is the type of guy you move to first. Big catcher that can hit?! What? Can Rizzo play 2nd? Or LF? Arm? Quickness? Reach?

Let the catcher hit his rookie year and trade him for mega-trade to AL so he can DH. Unless he is really a catcher? Anyone?

He would play left field over Rizzo. Rizzo isn't moving for anyone. Also, the Cubs are dead set on him being a catcher. That means the Cubs will take a Mike Piazza type catcher and I am cool with that. I see Bryant going to left if Baez comes back and continues to crush. He is a dynamic player besides the bat.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
It is not as if Jeff Lunhow left his passwords out on the billboard for the world to see. Someone got them, went into his private accounts to benefit themselves with information and exploit I for the teams sake.

Hacking, stealing. Call it what you want. I am sure that some people involved will not rat out others, but in todays age, they can tell who has sent texts, e-mails, or anything else they want to, and if the Government gets involved............Look out!

If this is as bad as some think it could be, I would think that banning them from the postseason might come into play here. I doubt that just a few guys will lose their job. How does that punish the organization? Unless it is maybe someone really high on the ladder. And fines to a multi-million dollar franchise? That is a slap on the wrist.

Hell, Tom Brady was suspended for knowledge of inflated footballs and it cost him a quarter of a season. What's this worth?

This ought to be very interesting.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
It is not as if Jeff Lunhow left his passwords out on the billboard for the world to see.

I work in IT and have some degree of knowledge of this. My guess based on what I've read is the suspicion that he probably(like most people) uses a fairly insecure password. One of the typical ways hackers get normal people is they hack into some site that has insecure services which gives them the password and username. Most people tend to use the same across accounts. So, often times people wont even have to hack more secure places like banks because if they know your username from other sites they can just try that username/password combo on banks and if it fails move on to other places.

As that pertains to this story, Lunhow worked for the cardinals. I can't speak to their security but basically every IT place I've ever worked assigns you a user name which for him was probably either jlunhow or lunhowj and then set him up with a password which in most cases you can change yourself. Most of the places I've worked at will have a 90 day timer that makes you change. However, often times these passwords are kept in the company data so you can't use the same one over and over. Additionally, it's entirely possible they don't even have the 90 day kill on the password and they just never change. Either way, people in the Cardinals IT set up would have access to his password. From there all they need is the site where you access ground control(houston's stuff) and his username which again is likely on any corporate emails or you can probably guess it.

If he didn't change his password then he may as well have advertised it to the cardinals. Granted all the details aren't out and it's entirely probable they never will be. But it sounds quite clear that either Lunhow or Houston's IT were incredibly lacking. I read some where that the cubs hitting coach who was in Houston at the time said they totally changed their security post break in so my guess it at least was Houston's IT.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Regardless of how it was done. It was done and it lacked any ethics in running a business. There should be bi-laws already in place for corporate crimes and this should fall under them. Sense the FBI is involved already this should go before a fed judge.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I don't know what people are slurping to claim this isn't really hacking. It's the very definition.

Under Section (a)(4) of the CFAA, anyone who “knowingly … accesses a protected computer without authorization” in order to “obtain[] anything of value” is subject to potential criminal liability for the hacking. Similarly, Section (a)(5)(B) of the law prohibits “intentionally access[ing] a protected computer without authorization,” should it result in any damage being inflicted on the computer’s owner.
http://www.atlredline.com/st-louis-cardinals-hackers-facing-serious-federal-jail-1711805877

In addition, The article I'm linking mentions what the MLB can do, if the team is found guilty and that if the Feds do bring charges against them, the high percentage of indictment/conviction, etc.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Mlb won't ban them from future postseason play...
Besides individual punishment which would most likely end up with them in jail, the team itself will probably just be fined a hefty amount and maybe lose 1st round draft picks for a couple years...

Just think they will go harder against the individual(s) involved more then the team itself. .

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Mlb won't ban them from future postseason play...
Besides individual punishment which would most likely end up with them in jail, the team itself will probably just be fined a hefty amount and maybe lose 1st round draft picks for a couple years...

Just think they will go harder against the individual(s) involved more then the team itself. .
The FBI will take care of the "individuals". Hacking is a serious crime. 5 years for each offense.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The FBI will take care of the "individuals". Hacking is a serious crime. 5 years for each offense.
Right.. that what im saying. .

The individuals will be punished more then the team itself. ..

For those thinking future postseason ban etc..
I just dont think the team punishment will be that extreme. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Right.. that what im saying. .

The individuals will be punished more then the team itself. ..

For those thinking future postseason ban etc..
I just dont think the team punishment will be that extreme. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk
I aleady posted a link to this, but I guess people don't want to click links and prefer posters violating IP laws instead.

MLB Constitution said:
Article II, Section 3

In the case of conduct by Major League Clubs, owners, officers, employees or players that is deemed by the Commissioner not to be in the best interests of Baseball, punitive action by the Commissioner for each offense may include any one or more of the following: (a) a reprimand; (b) deprivation of a Major League Club of representation in Major League Meetings; (c) suspension or removal of any owner, officer or employee of a Major League Club; (d) temporary or permanent ineligibility of a player; (e) a fine, not to exceed $2,000,000 in the case of a Major League Club, not to exceed $500,000 in the case of an owner, officer or employee, and in an amount consistent with the then-current Basic Agreement with the Major League Baseball Players Association, in the case of a player; (f) loss of the benefit of any or all of the Major League Rules, including but not limited to the denial or transfer of player selection rights provided by Major League Rules 4 and 5; and (g) such other actions as the Commissioner may deem appropriate.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
So Basically anything that the Commish deems appropriate that allows him to keep his job

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Personally I think they deserve the college so called "death penalty?"

right?

Forced to move to Nebraska at least.