Tom Thayer Responds to Fox's Comment

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's just moronic. College students take class and learn theory, Piniero did the job.
You are too focused on the word college to make a reasoned argument.

Nothing can be more appropriate than a sports analogy since sports are a unique job environment.
So,
A successful triple AAA 1st baseman being promoted to the majors based on his performance as a 1st baseman at a lower level has a much more complete resume at his promoted position than a major league hitting coach being promoted to manager.

How anyone could think otherwise is, to me, unknowable and to state otherwise is either dishonest or ignorant.

Hell, a successful kicker has less new variables to deal with than a rising baseball player facing increase pitching talent while a promoted coordinator is forced to deal with a side of the ball he has no experience in, call plays in an instant and manage personalities in a way he has never before.

College students also do internships in accounting which I assume you knew. Those internships still don't measure up to someone that has actually worked professionally for 10 years in the profession.

What? Baseball is a terrible example as the jump from minor leagues to the majors is massive and those guys flame out at much higher rates.

The fact is an OC has already become accustomed to the skill level and pressure in the NFL. A college player or minor league hitter has not hence why they flame out and bust all the time.

It is easier to watch an OC in the NFL and determine if he has the qualities to run a team than it is to project whether a college or minor league player can adjust to the demands and pressures of the NFL as well as the skill level.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
There is a big difference between "having the worst offseason" and "improving the least". Good teams have less holes to fill and thus less to improve on while bad teams can make more moves that look good on paper towards improving their team.

Let's say an obese guy starts working out and dieting and in a month loses 15 lbs. Did he improve more in that month than a bodybuilder that continued on his program and maintained a ripped physique? Ofcourse. Did the bodybuilder have a bad month of training? Ofcourse not.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I prefer pithy responses.

Why is there gnashing of teeth over bringing in a college kicker?

Sure it’s a question mark. All college players are.

If our biggest problem is “Do we have the right kicker”, then you’ve locked down all the other positions on the team. That’s a pretty successful off season.

Not sure anyone has an issue with bringing in a college kicker. I simply said it is fair game if some people think the offseason sucked and if others think it did not. We won't know until we see how these teams perform in real games.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I prefer pithy responses.

Why is there gnashing of teeth over bringing in a college kicker?

Sure it’s a question mark. All college players are.

If our biggest problem is “Do we have the right kicker”, then you’ve locked down all the other positions on the team. That’s a pretty successful off season.
If, say, the Bears had kept Gould and he was retiring after a successful run and the Bears brought in Piniero and a host of other kickers, nothing would be thought of the situation. Fox, Remy, and others are projecting Parkey's failures as a influencing factor on how the Bears kicker performs moving forward. It's like if you accidentally bought a rotten apple, you then assumed every apple you ever bought again would be rotten until prove otherwise.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears retained 95% of the talent that got them to the division title. And made changes at an area of weakness.

Just not sure how this translates to the worst offseason.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Who knew that the level below NFL kicker was college kicker? Amirite?

I can't imagine the lunacy that must take place at your job. Do you hire college graduates, and then give them 5-6 years of professional training before they can perform a menial task, like reconciling invoices?

Who knew the level below HC was Assistant? Not sure your point.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Not sure anyone has an issue with bringing in a college kicker. I simply said it is fair game if some people think the offseason sucked and if others think it did not. We won't know until we see how these teams perform in real games.

VORTEX CLOSING!

stranger-things-season-2-finale.jpg

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If, say, the Bears had kept Gould and he was retiring after a successful run and the Bears brought in Piniero and a host of other kickers, nothing would be thought of the situation. Fox, Remy, and others are projecting Parkey's failures as a influencing factor on how the Bears kicker performs moving forward. It's like if you accidentally bought a rotten apple, you then assumed every apple you ever bought again would be rotten until prove otherwise.

Except I disagree with Fox that we had the worst offseason. I just think his opinion is not bullshit as again whether he is right or not depends on how this season unfolds. It seems people struggle with the idea that someone can disagree with someone else without thinking the other person is an idiot or spewing bullshit.

It is fair game to be concerned about our kickers. It is fair game to be concerned about LaFleur. How this all shakes out will be decided during the season.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Was my point really that confusing to you? Remember this?

Packers = HC (?)

Yes and I said you may end up being right but that I still think our kicking situation is currently less certain that the Packer's head coaching situation. The truth will be determined during the season.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Name me another team with a noticeable weakness that did nothing really of substance to plug it this offseason?

Packers-OL
Vikings-OL
Lions-everything

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
A questionable coach is better than a questionable kicker?
Yes. You dont have to worry about a questionable coach missing a kick in the playoffs

Because they wont make it

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Packers-OL
Vikings-OL
Lions-everything

Packers used a 2nd round pick on OL. Vikings used multiple draft picks on OL including a 1st round pick. You Lions comments is too vague to address but they obviously had a draft and spent in FA. Not sure how you can say drafting to fill a hole in the 1st or 2nd round is doing less than what the Bears did at K.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I went back and re-read all the nonsense, just to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious. I think this was the best snippet of the thread...there are a lot of failed kickers that were good in college, but hiring the current Tennessee Vols offensive coordinator to be your NFL Head coach has a guaranteed 100% success rate.

A glorious return for remy, like when Jordan scored 55 on the Knicks.

He was also the OC of the Rams and I never said he would be successful. In fact, I already acknowledged you may end up being right so not sure how you interpret me saying that as 100% success. I simply think he has a better resume than the great Pinneiro who the Bears are so sold on, they are bringing in other kickers to compete with him.