Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
@remydat gave this thread a turbo boost, in the wrong direction, but still, what should have been a 3 page thread has blossomed into a gooey pool of "did you?" outstanding work gentlemen!

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
@remydat gave this thread a turbo boost, in the wrong direction, but still, what should have been a 3 page thread has blossomed into a gooey pool of "did you?" outstanding work gentlemen!
We’ve turned it pithy

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

There was too much homerism going on in this thread prior to my arrival. I balanced it out a bit.

Anyways, thought this is relevant to thread.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2842509-the-nfls-10-most-important-players-entering-2019

7. Kicker to Be Named Later, Bears

The fate of the entire NFC may rest on the feet of guys named Eddy Pineiro or Elliott Fry. Or on someone even more obscure.

Pineiro and Fry are the last kickers standing in the Bears' Bachelorette-style competition to find a replacement for Scourge of the Uprights Cody Parkey, whose partially blocked 43-yard miss in last year's playoffs dashed the team's Super Bowl dreams.

Judging from reports out of Bears camp, the competition—which featured as many as eight kickers at times—has had plenty of ups and downs.

The Bears must not just find a kicker in training camp but find faith in that kicker. The eight-kicker showdown suggests that Parkey's pachinko-doinks may still be rattling around in the team's consciousness.

If the Bears settle on a decent kicker, they are Super Bowl contenders. If they start going for 4th-and-10 from the 26-yard line with the score tied or changing kickers like they change sweat socks, they are in for a long, frustrating year.

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
There was too much homerism going on in this thread prior to my arrival. I balanced it out a bit.

Anyways, thought this is relevant to thread.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2842509-the-nfls-10-most-important-players-entering-2019

7. Kicker to Be Named Later, Bears

The fate of the entire NFC may rest on the feet of guys named Eddy Pineiro or Elliott Fry. Or on someone even more obscure.

Pineiro and Fry are the last kickers standing in the Bears' Bachelorette-style competition to find a replacement for Scourge of the Uprights Cody Parkey, whose partially blocked 43-yard miss in last year's playoffs dashed the team's Super Bowl dreams.

Judging from reports out of Bears camp, the competition—which featured as many as eight kickers at times—has had plenty of ups and downs.

The Bears must not just find a kicker in training camp but find faith in that kicker. The eight-kicker showdown suggests that Parkey's pachinko-doinks may still be rattling around in the team's consciousness.

If the Bears settle on a decent kicker, they are Super Bowl contenders. If they start going for 4th-and-10 from the 26-yard line with the score tied or changing kickers like they change sweat socks, they are in for a long, frustrating year.
Very operatic. The article mistakenly seems to put the fate of the Bears on the kicker only. That’s a little too much drama.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I think may indicates it does not necessarily rest on the kicker only. Just like John Fox may end up being right or he may not end up being right. I guess we will have to see if we end up needing to make a kick to keep our season alive or not.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

I think may indicates it does not necessarily rest on the kicker only. Just like John Fox may end up being right or he may not end up being right. I guess we will have to see if we end up needing to make a kick to keep our season alive or not.
The world may end if the Bears don’t get a kicker.

I used theword may so none of that has to be taken at face value.

It’s a weasel word.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The world may end if the Bears don’t get a kicker.

I used theword may so none of that has to be taken at face value.

It’s a weasel word.

This seems really odd considering there is no causation between kicking and the world ending. By contrast, a missed kick causing a season to end is possible. See last year against the Eagles as an example.

The idea that one's Super Bowl fate may rest on a kicker is about as operatic and dramatic as us losing against the Eagles last year and thus being knocked out of contention for the Super Bowl in part due to a missed kick.

I am not sure why Bears fans are so sensitive about the fact our kicking situation is cause for concern until proven otherwise.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This seems really odd considering there is no causation between kicking and the world ending. By contrast, a missed kick causing a season to end is possible. See last year against the Eagles as an example.

The idea that speculating the Super Bowl fate may rest on a kicker is about as operatic and dramatic as us losing against the Eagles last year and thus being knocked out of contention for the Super Bowl.

The fate of the Bears rests a lot more on the kicker. You can point to any position(s) and use the same analogy.

A million things go on in the season.

For the article to pin it on a kicker but then back off because it uses May makes that article useless.

The article is basically saying a kicker may or may not matter. Thanks.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

No one is arguing the Bears kicking game sucks, Fox was right. Thayer's, Bernstein's and my point is that Fox is pointing out a fuck up that he had a hand in creating.

I know Remy, you want to go full vortex on what percentage of the blame goes to Fox and what goes to Pace. The fact that Pace is largely to blame changes nothing, what Fox did was hypocritical and a total dick move.

I understand you are compelled to chant PACE!!!! Have at it, the point of this thread was made in the OP, and all this vortexing is just noise.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Remy your seemingly infinite stamina to continue debates about absolutely anything amazes me.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Remy your seemingly infinite stamina to continue debates about absolutely anything amazes me.

His ability to continue arguing about absolutely nothing also amazes me.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

It’s crazy too because I feel like he pretty much agrees, but finds small insignificant arguments in semantics to carry it on

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The fate of the Bears rests a lot more on the kicker. You can point to any position(s) and use the same analogy.

A million things go on in the season.

For the article to pin it on a kicker but then back off because it uses May makes that article useless.

The article is basically saying a kicker may or may not matter. Thanks.

Think the article is just pointing out that kicker is a huge question mark for this team which I think most here on CCS would agree. Of course, it being CCS, people seem to get all sensitive when anyone other than Bears fans state this as a concern.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No one is arguing the Bears kicking game sucks, Fox was right. Thayer's, Bernstein's and my point is that Fox is pointing out a fuck up that he had a hand in creating.

I know Remy, you want to go full vortex on what percentage of the blame goes to Fox and what goes to Pace. The fact that Pace is largely to blame changes nothing, what Fox did was hypocritical and a total dick move.

I understand you are compelled to chant PACE!!!! Have at it, the point of this thread was made in the OP, and all this vortexing is just noise.

So if you and I spill milk and you are the only one with the mop, you are saying it is hypocritical for me to say, the milk is spilled and you should mop it up?

Truly odd logic. We all agree Fox had a hand in fucking up the kicking situation. However, he no longer has any ability to clean up the mess and it is entirely fair game for him or anyone to point out it is still a mess that needs cleaning up.

I mean if Pace wants to make Fox GM then I will start shitting on Fox for not cleaning up his mess but the only thing I care about right now is for the milk to be cleaned up so I prefer to talk about the guy with the mop in his hand.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Let it go remy. Get a life.

The fact that you can't just walk away if it bothers you so much is indicative that perhaps you need to get a life. I am enjoying this. You however profess not to enjoy it but lack the self control to simply walk away. Imagine getting so upset with random people on the internet that you will never meet.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It’s crazy too because I feel like he pretty much agrees, but finds small insignificant arguments in semantics to carry it on

I would say the reverse is true. I already acknowledged that I disagree with Fox but that his opinion is fair. Just like I already acknowledged that LaFleur may end up being a biggest weakness than kicker is to the Bears.

However, for some reason, people on CCS can't simply have good faith differences. No, they have to characterize those they disagree with as idiots, bullshit, etc. That is the truly odd thing about this. I am taking a fairly moderate stance but I suppose it is a function of the internet and the current polarization that being a moderate is looked upon as the issue. Not the extremists who think only their opinion has merit.