Top 10 FA's according to MLBTR. Which one would you want on the Cubs?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
If Fowler gets the QO it's because he's the best one year option available. Alcantara, Happ and Almora are all
long term options but none are ready. I don't believe this team will sign big name position players in this first phase of contention. They shouldn't need to. They will pay for shorter term solutions though as witnessed by taking on Montero's contract. The bulk of the money is earmarked for pitching.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Trading Soler will not happen. But say they did trade Soler to the Braves for a SP. This would open RF for Bryant. Then they could move Baez to 3B.

Even if they did all of this it still doesn't fix the CF issue.

What I am seeing right now is Castro is on the outs with the team. He has been benched and most likely has been pushed through wavers by now. I believe he will be used as a trade chip soon enough.

CF there is no player in F/A that is a game changer. In the system we are a year out at best to seeing either Almora or Happ. Happ is at SB now hitting .250 in 50 AB's. He is good but he doesn't carry the same impact that Bryant and Schwarber did.

I would try to pull a 3 team trade this off season. Trade Castro to the Pads for prospects that NYY would want then send them and a few of what they would want from us for Eld's or Gardner. That would solve the CF issue. Also it opens up 2B for Baez.

Win/Win

At that point the clear need becomes a SP. They need to find some one who pitches at the level that Hammel did when he is on but can do it over a whole season. Hammel seems to lessen as the season extends. Now this could also be a Schwarber vs Montero issue also. We will see after his next start. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

So Leake or Zim maybe the right fit also.

willycat

Liked Posts:
I would go with Grienke, Price and Zimmerman in that order. Still need more starting pitchers.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If Fowler gets the QO it's because he's the best one year option available. Alcantara, Happ and Almora are all
long term options but none are ready. I don't believe this team will sign big name position players in this first phase of contention. They shouldn't need to. They will pay for shorter term solutions though as witnessed by taking on Montero's contract. The bulk of the money is earmarked for pitching.
I think they would sign an established position player if he under 29/28 YO and fit a need as an upgrade..

Example : Jason Heyward (25) right now would be an upgrade offensively and defensively in RF over Soler (23)..

Cubs could probably get a couple of prospects for Soler in a deal or an established young arm. .

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Trading Soler will not happen. But say they did trade Soler to the Braves for a SP. This would open RF for Bryant. Then they could move Baez to 3B.

Even if they did all of this it still doesn't fix the CF issue.

What I am seeing right now is Castro is on the outs with the team. He has been benched and most likely has been pushed through wavers by now. I believe he will be used as a trade chip soon enough.

CF there is no player in F/A that is a game changer. In the system we are a year out at best to seeing either Almora or Happ. Happ is at SB now hitting .250 in 50 AB's. He is good but he doesn't carry the same impact that Bryant and Schwarber did.

I would try to pull a 3 team trade this off season. Trade Castro to the Pads for prospects that NYY would want then send them and a few of what they would want from us for Eld's or Gardner. That would solve the CF issue. Also it opens up 2B for Baez.

Win/Win

At that point the clear need becomes a SP. They need to find some one who pitches at the level that Hammel did when he is on but can do it over a whole season. Hammel seems to lessen as the season extends. Now this could also be a Schwarber vs Montero issue also. We will see after his next start. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

So Leake or Zim maybe the right fit also.

I've gone on record in saying that I do think Soler is the most expendable, but I don't think and I hope we don't trade him. He's got a very high ceiling

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I've gone on record in saying that I do think Soler is the most expendable, but I don't think and I hope we don't trade him. He's got a very high ceiling

I think he has a high floor. Baez has the highest celing and lowest floor

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
I think he has a high floor. Baez has the highest celing and lowest floor

Well doesn't a high ceiling mean a low floor as well? They go hand in hand for me

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Also look at post ASG numbers. I believe Soler is hitting near .300.

He really doesn't get noticed for what he does ive noticed. But gets slammed for what he comes up short on.

Sometimes just take a step back and look at him as a rookie learning the league still.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:

He really doesn't get noticed for what he does ive noticed. But gets slammed for what he comes up short on.

Sometimes just take a step back and look at him as a rookie learning the league still.

I agree. I like Soler a lot, especially as a hitter. He does need to improve as a fielder though

chibears55

Liked Posts:

I think what most are looking at is the lack of power..

Even with the early struggles and bad calls, youd think he would still be able to have double digit homers now, not 5..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Well doesn't a high ceiling mean a low floor as well? They go hand in hand for me

No, not always. High ceiling, low floor is a boom or bust player. Ideally you wan a high ceiling, high floor player and I think Soler is a decent example as he'll likely be an average to above average MLB player but has a chance to be much more. Kris Bryant is an even better example and Addison Russell might be the best one. None of those three have a likelihood, barring injury, of busting out of MLB and yet if everything goes right all three could be superstars. Baez could absolutely bust as although he has defensive skills they may not play as a part time player. It's all about his bat bat.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
No, not always. High ceiling, low floor is a boom or bust player. Ideally you wan a high ceiling, high floor player and I think Soler is a decent example as he'll likely be an average to above average MLB player but has a chance to be much more. Kris Bryant is an even better example and Addison Russell might be the best one. None of those three have a likelihood, barring injury, of busting out of MLB and yet if everything goes right all three could be superstars. Baez could absolutely bust as although he has defensive skills they may not play as a part time player. It's all about his bat bat.

Ahh, I get you. I was confusing the term "low floor"

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

He's been a different player at the plate after having the off-time due to injury. The reset button was really helpful. Hopefully he continues. He isn't the only one starting to click. These bats awakening post ASG are just as good as, if not better than, trading for another stick.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He's been a different player at the plate after having the off-time due to injury. The reset button was really helpful. Hopefully he continues. He isn't the only one starting to click. These bats awakening post ASG are just as good as, if not better than, trading for another stick.
Post ASG
Schwarber: .348
Soler: .296
Russell: .289
Rizzo: .280
Fowler: .275
Coghlan: .270
Denorfia: .233
Ross: .188
Castro: .183
Bryant: .169

At least bryant showed some power last night.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Post ASG
Schwarber: .348
Soler: .296
Russell: .289
Rizzo: .280
Fowler: .275
Coghlan: .270
Denorfia: .233
Ross: .188
Castro: .183
Bryant: .169

At least bryant showed some power last night.
Yes. Hopefully Bryant's bat gets going, too. Between the Schwarber arrival, Soler coming back and Russell improving, the lineup is much better. Adding Montero, who obviously isn't on that list, improves the lineup, too, or should any way. Pitchers should feel they can just go out and pitch instead of being perfect.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yes. Hopefully Bryant's bat gets going, too. Between the Schwarber arrival, Soler coming back and Russell improving, the lineup is much better. Adding Montero, who obviously isn't on that list, improves the lineup, too, or should any way. Pitchers should feel they can just go out and pitch instead of being perfect.

IMO the biggest change will be getting Montero back and deciding on benching Castro. This should net better pitching while adding a better SS D and O. Then keeping Coghlan's better all around game play. He has been a victim of bad luck this year. .272 BABIP with is .020 under league avg. He should be hitting .020 points higher.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
IMO the biggest change will be getting Montero back and deciding on benching Castro. This should net better pitching while adding a better SS D and O. Then keeping Coghlan's better all around game play. He has been a victim of bad luck this year. .272 BABIP with is .020 under league avg. He should be hitting .020 points higher.
Yep. They weathered the storm while Montero was out. The stats on Coghs are so believable. The eye test tells anyone watching the games that he has been unlucky.