Trade Deadline: Go for it all? Or stay the current course?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
"If we look at the current lineup and add in these two players here is what the number look like improvement wise: By replacing Fowler with either Maybin or Revere you get an improvement in OBP by 50 points or 30 points respectively. With adding Frazier and Valbuena you add a CRC to the lineup of 1.005 or .764 respectively, replacing Castro’s .689.

The likely scenario is that the Cubs will try to get a combination of players similar to Revere and Valbuena to add some more offense (either through their system or via trades), as it is highly unlikely they sell the farm to get a combo like Maybin and Frazier."

http://www.wrigleyvilletimes.com/for-cubs-trade-deadline-brings-big-decision/

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I don't think Frazier is available, especially for the Cubs.

I don't think Valbuena would provide any surplus to the Cubs outside of being a great bat off the bench. In terms of the infield, I believe they should stay the course. If they have a chance to trade someone like Castro for a young arm, and then add a guy like Zobrist, I would be pretty happy.

Castro is expendable in my eyes, I was all on board the Castro train until this season, but it seems like he just may never get it. Another OF ( Preferably a young OF with a bit of control and a good OBP) and a SP remain the 2 big needs for this team

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The idea of getting a guy like Valbuena would be the ability to help Fowler in CF against righties, by moving Coughlan there, but this was written before Schwarber was called up so kind of moot now.

I think with the Schwarber move it appears that we are just going to promote from within to add bats.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
As much as i like to see them add an upgraded bat to LF or CF
i think their going to stick it out with these guys for the year and hope they all can turn it around ..

Any added bat will be for the bench..

Bullpen seems to be set with the addition of Soriano now..

Rotation. ..

I think they just upgrade over Richards/Wada slot with a mid rotation starter..possibly someone on last yr of contract or maybe 1 year left..