Vote Salmons off the island

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
The Bulls don't have enough minutes to go around at their wing positions, so someone has to go.

When the hammer falls, Derrick Rose remains a Bull (Captain obvious statement of the year). Ironically, Luol Deng's security matches Rose's as his contract length and expense prices him out of what teams will be willing to take on in trade without sending back something hideous.

What's left is to decide who to keep on the wings to pair with those two players. As there aren't enough minutes available to bring back everyone, keep them happy, and develop positive chemistry.

Full Article

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
Good article Doug. This is a scenario we have to consider. With the way Salmons played for us in the season and playoffs he is without a doubt going to have some value. His contract situation makes me appealing to teams as well since he is likely to opt out in summer of 2010. Question becomes can we actually clear cap space in a Salmons trade. Could you move him to Dallas, San Antonio or Portland for unguaranteed contracts in order to have space for Gordon. Obviously I would want Gordon signed prior to doing this to avoid chance of losing both.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Hopefully we ship Deng to Suns so we don't have to worry about it. If you want to trade Salmons just send him to OKC for the Nuggets 1 rounder.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Basghetti80 wrote:
Good article Doug. This is a scenario we have to consider. With the way Salmons played for us in the season and playoffs he is without a doubt going to have some value. His contract situation makes me appealing to teams as well since he is likely to opt out in summer of 2010. Question becomes can we actually clear cap space in a Salmons trade. Could you move him to Dallas, San Antonio or Portland for unguaranteed contracts in order to have space for Gordon. Obviously I would want Gordon signed prior to doing this to avoid chance of losing both.

I would think Salmons makes sense for Dallas or Portland for non guaranteed deals, though we wouldn't clear enough space trading him to Dallas for Stackhouse.

Another team like OKC or Memphis may be willing to take him on for a year to add someone of high quality to their team without a long term commitment as well.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
OKC wanted him at the deadline. They offered Joe Smith and 2 rounder couple weeks before

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:
OKC wanted him at the deadline. They offered Joe Smith and 2 rounder couple weeks before

If we could trade him to nothing to OKC and get some 2nd rounders that'd be perfect.

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
Salmons to OKC would be nice Doug. We can then grab Terrence Williams to be that backup SG/SF in his place.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I'm game for grabbing Williams if he's there. DX now has Williams going to #16.

AirP

Liked Posts:
Doug... you missed plan D!

Plan D: Move Deng in a move to be in the market for a max contract(or big contract) PF in 2010. With possibly this move Chicago has PG and SG wrapped up in Rose and Gordon, SF is being held down by Salmons with Tyrus making the transition to playing SF and PF for this team, toss in a bigtime PF with the dirty work of Noah and Center and you have a great team. The key with Tyrus moving over to SF to be athletic enough to defend Lebron for many years and the ability to hit jumpers. With Rose, Gordon and big PF, you have your 3 key scorers with Noah being efficient around the rim and Tyrus able to hit the open jumpers. Salmons bridges the gap at SF while we wait for Tyrus to continue to develop his overall game.

I'm sold on Rose and Noah being on this team long term, it's the other 3 positions that I'm not sold on(if we have Gordon at SG, then 1 just need 1 more scorer at SF or PF), we need 2 more key scorers with hopefully one being a power player in the paint and with that... Tyrus not on this roster or moved to SF.

Being able to slow down Lebron is going to be a very key factor for this team's success in the playoffs for many years to come... our ability to put an athletic defender on Lebron will be huge.

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:
What will we do if Deng gets injured again, huh, I don't think it'll be a good idea just to give Salmons away. I love his ability to score and the presence he has on the perimeter. I never have been a fan of dumping 18 ppg for nothing.

sabixx

Liked Posts:
Dump Salmons, Gordon leaves,Deng continues to be useless, and then we have no scoring ability outside of rose. this just isn't a good idea.

Hendu0520

Liked Posts:
I disagree. What do you mean what would we do next year to replace Salmons? Next year is 2010 I don't know maybe we could let Salmons walk and throw money at the plethera of guys that will be available. I understand your point that no one considers this, but how is getting rid of Salmons better than getting rid of Hinrichs 9 mil for the next 3 or 4 yrs? The best option would be to clear long term money (Deng or Hinrich) or even more money for this offseason or 2010 when the top talent in the league is available, if you don't get someone then you can always fill the 3 with talent. Like you said it is the easiest position to fill, so why wouldn't you keep Salmons until his contract is up, unless he is used in a trade for a superstar?

AirP

Liked Posts:
Clear the 13 million and 14 million dollars off the roster that will coincide with Rose's first 2 years of his new huge contract starting in 2012. That is unless you want to handcuff the organization's ability to put better players around Rose during the peak time in his career.

And who knows, maybe the salary cap will be even lower by then. Maybe Rose and Deng will take up more then half our cap space!

PJ Brown

Liked Posts:
My main problem is that while the logic states trade him while his value is at its peak, nobody is presenting a particularly valuable return. Doug suggests a salary dump and second round picks, which certainly works if priority number one is having enough room to pay Gordon well while staying under the tax, but other than that I can't see many advantages. I tend to favor focusing on moving one of the long-term deals (Hinrich, Deng) for short-term or expiring deals and keeping Salmons as a safety net, who can still be shed pretty easily down the line, one way or another, if it comes down to it, which I guess is more of a 2010-centric approach than a Gordon can't get away approach. I'd be more open to trading Salmons if it proves helpful in putting together a package for an elite big, rather than simply shedding money, as he's just not that much of a financial burden to worry about.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
PJ Brown wrote:
My main problem is that while the logic states trade him while his value is at its peak, nobody is presenting a particularly valuable return. Doug suggests a salary dump and second round picks, which certainly works if priority number one is having enough room to pay Gordon well while staying under the tax, but other than that I can't see many advantages. I tend to favor focusing on moving one of the long-term deals (Hinrich, Deng) for short-term or expiring deals and keeping Salmons as a safety net, who can still be shed pretty easily down the line, one way or another, if it comes down to it, which I guess is more of a 2010-centric approach than a Gordon can't get away approach. I'd be more open to trading Salmons if it proves helpful in putting together a package for an elite big, rather than simply shedding money, as he's just not that much of a financial burden to worry about.

I think my real point is that you can't go forward with Rose, Hinrich, Gordon, Salmons, and Deng. It will kill chemistry to have them all on the team.

So I'm suggesting that I'd remove Salmons of that group under the conditions that I can't remove Deng because no one will take him.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can see your logic here and it makes sense. With this plan you have to 1) hope that Gordon definitely resigns and 2) pray that Luol Deng does not have a repeat of the last 2 years. If that happens, everyone is happy and the Bulls become a pretty dangerous team. If it doesn't...well what more needs to be said?

Of course in ideal Bulls fan land you can keep all of them and have no negative repercussions to the team. Naturally, this probably can't and won't happen.

Tyrus at the 3 is an interesting thought, and it might actually help him out some if it works out. I just don't see him having the ball handling ability to be a 3 at this point, but I guess that can be fixed with some good coaching. Or he can be the slashing 3 where all he does is make off ball cuts to the rim for dunks and alley-oops (which is what I want him to do anyway) and maybe shoots the occasional midrange jumper to keep the defense honest. But if that's the case I don't see the point of moving him to the 3...it would be more of a big lineup with Tyrus just filling in what would be the 3 spot. I also hope he would be smart enough to handle such a switch (not to mention defending LBJ).

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
i think i'd be ok with tyrus guarding lebron. he's one of the most athletic and quick big men in the league, can't do worse than deng, can he?

SouL EateR

Liked Posts:
bullsman24 wrote:
i think i'd be ok with tyrus guarding lebron. he's one of the most athletic and quick big men in the league, can't do worse than deng, can he?
I thought the same thing i think Ty can bother alot of guys on the perimeter with his long arms and athletisism he must get better at falling for pump fakes though

Hendu0520

Liked Posts:
Well I guess if it turns out we can't move Kirk or Deng then yah I guess if it were between Gordon and Salmons I'd take Gordon so Salmons would have to go.

On Tyrus at the 3, I don't understand why we didn't try him there a few minutes during the Boston series while we were getting outrebounded. I know he can't hit the three and Salmons can and that spreads the floor a lot. But he can hit the 18 footer and is athletic enough to guard three's. Remember when he checked Pierce one on one and ripped him went down the court and got an assist. We should take advantage of his strengths which we do mostly but that is a psrt of his game that is good that Vinny Del Bikerstaff hasn't tapped yet.

SouL EateR

Liked Posts:
Hendu0520 wrote:
Well I guess if it turns out we can't move Kirk or Deng then yah I guess if it were between Gordon and Salmons I'd take Gordon so Salmons would have to go.

On Tyrus at the 3, I don't understand why we didn't try him there a few minutes during the Boston series while we were getting outrebounded. I know he can't hit the three and Salmons can and that spreads the floor a lot. But he can hit the 18 footer and is athletic enough to guard three's. Remember when he checked Pierce one on one and ripped him went down the court and got an assist. We should take advantage of his strengths which we do mostly but that is a psrt of his game that is good that Vinny Del Bikerstaff hasn't tapped yet.
I agree i think Ty could have done a good job on Pierce @ times during that series.